Pages

8/7/26

MACK - THOUGHTS ON TRADE DEADLINE & OTHER TIDBITS

 


 I don’t write for Mack’s Mets anymore. I retired from that. Instead, I have been producing a bunch of bio and analytical shite. But that changes today.

Instead, I return as a sportswriter, specifically covering the New York Mets. 

My weekly Friday column will reflect that going forward,

One of the things I used to do around here was to give you my spin/rating on the results of the trading deadline. I’m not going to go into an elaborate breakdown… other Mack’s Mets writers are doing a fine job on that. Instead, just a general overview.

I’ve already mentioned that, I believe, the Mets accomplished three things from the results of the trading deadline… one, they cleaned out the majority of bad money contracts that had no future offerings to this team past the 2027 season, two, they found a close to ready major league third baseman, and three, they added prospect depth to their chain, especially in the infield. 

Past that, it’s all speculation, especially because we all know the nerds are going to try and change everything these players have done once they put a Mets uniform on.

What they didn’t accomplish was to get a Top 50 Prospect, as defined by Baseball Pipeline, nor did they find takers for the likes of Marcus Semien, Jorge Polanco, Brett Baty, Mark Vientos, and Luis Robert Jr., five players they must now decide if they keep playing and remind both fans and the baseball world what stupid decisions it was to employ these duds, or give them a payout before the calendar year end so they have a clean slate the following year regarding team salary.

Me?

I love 3B Jefferson Rojas. He will be the starting Mets third baseman, latest, opening day 2028. I “ like” IF Sammy Stafura, Cole Mathis, Emilien Pitre, Billy Amick, and Aiden Smith

The rest? AAAA or steak knives. I especially like the return of infield depth in the chain. It’s no big secret that the future Mets are in need of both a producing third and second baseman. This year’s trade haul make a crowded positive situation on both bags.

I believe Rojas will be a star in this game and Mitch Voit will be a Benge/Ewing type player at second. Mathis and Amick will compete with Randy Guzman as the future Mets first baseman, that is, if Juan Soto doesn't agree to make the move here some day…I believe Stafura and Pitre will give Voit a run for his money at second… and I believe Rojas is heir apparent to third. Short? It’s Lindor’s until either Elian Pena or Wandy Asigen grows up.

Rating – B minus

 

Minor Tidbit 

AA/Binghamton’s RP, Bryce Jenkins, is the definition of helium. He is barely recognized by the Mets gaggle and only bloggers like Daniel Wexler (@WexlerRules),  and podcasters like Ernest Dove  (@ernestdove), write anything about this guy. Through Tuesday’s game, Jenkins has a combines AA/AAA ERA of 1.94, and a WHIP of 0.79… it seems that A+ Brooklyn SP Nicholas Carreno is getting his shite straighten out at this level. He dominated A-ball, failed miserable early at Coney. This week he went 5.2-IP, 0-H, 0-R, 8-K. Still needs to work on pitch count and control (5-BB this outing)… 

No one is hotter than AA-Binghamton IF Mitch Voit. He put modest numbers up for Brooklyn (.242) but I knew his numbers would grow once he left horrible Coney Island. But I never expected, through Tuesday night, an AA batting average of .539 and an OPS of 1.574!... once again, the nerds win. 

AAA-Syracuse SP, Jonah Tong, was supposed to be promoted by this weekend and Wednesday's start at Cuse' was the final test for the entirely new delivery the executives that never pitched a lick in their life gave this once star for this team. Their changes are like taking the entire engine out of a Shelby SS and installing the engine a Volkswagen Beetle uses. 

The result? Five home runs allowed in five innings. When are these guys ever going to stop this? SMH. The Breakdown of Tong... or, as Tom Brennan puts it... if it ain't broke, don't break it... A-St. Lucie SS Elian Pena committed another throwing error on Wednesday.  That's now 22 errors on the season.  A big reason why I feel Wandy Asigen will jump over him when down the road the B-Mets need a new shortstop.

GOO – (general overall opinions)

I used to be a newspaper reporter. That went away when they closed down that newspaper. It then became a blogger covering the New York Mets. The emphasis was on the minors. Mack’s Mets is now both the most read independent Mets blog, but it also is the longest running. 

My elimination of my weekly Friday Prospect Report came off of the elimination of a professional relationship with a high-ranking Mets insider. It spoke volumes to me about the degree of importance I am to the Mets. It makes my future direction is as a hobbyist who will write how I feel, and what I believe, not anyone else’s opinons.

I became a Mets fan in 1962, followed by a Mets reporter in 2005. I’m now simply a Mets blogger who writes in third person because I no longer root for this team. I still write about it and started a blog for other writers who are fans of this team. I take the Walter Cronkite approach… the team, and what they do is always “they”.

I lost my fandom when I realized the return is minimal. I thought this failure peaked near the end of the Wilpon era, but I was wrong. 

The Cohen train still hasn’t left the station.


MACK’S 2028 STARTING LINEUP:

C     Francisco Alvarez

1B   Juan Soto

2B   Mitch Voit

SS   Francisco Lindor

3B   Jefferson Rojas

LF   Carson Benge

CF   Aiden Robbins

RF   AJ Ewing

DH  Chris Suero

SP1  Tariq Skubal

SP2  Nolan McLean

SP3  Christian Scott

SP4  Jonah Tong

SP5  Zac Thornton


25 comments:

  1. I think these trades and the draft have them now loaded with all the talent they need to have a good to potentially super offensive Mets team by 2028. Best collective minor league hitting talent I think I have ever seen in the Met system.

    Pitching is still troublesome, but if they get Skubal, not nearly so much if he stays healthy.

    I am hoping that Suero, surrounded by in effect a hitting AA all star team, will start to hit well enough to someday make the majors as a Met. Competition is now fierce. He still fans far too much to make it. 1524 minor league ABs to date. He’s had tons of time to cut the Ks. 250 in 200 games in 2025 and 2026.

    NOW is the time to do it. Or he will be left behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: current minor league talent

      I agree. Take last night's Binghamton game. Broke their franchise record for most runs scored.

      Hitting is contagious

      Delete
    2. Re: current pitching

      I go into this next Friday, but, for now, both Tong and Wenninger are not projected to pitch at the major league level until they get their shite together

      That being said...

      Delete
  2. Imagine if Voit turns out to be BETTER than Benge and Ewing? Then add on Jefferson Rojas. You already have Soto, Alvarez, and presumably Lindor. Two more, like a Pitre and Amick, will emerge. Maybe more. The Mets could have an awesome young hitting team by this time next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow down

      We'll see.

      For now let's just say that Syracuse will loaded on opening day

      Delete
  3. I look at the Chicago White Sox for inspiration. They went from a 121-loss season to a playoff team in two seasons. Yes, AL Central and all, but still a notable jump in a short time. My sense is that the Mets have the core assembled from which to make the same leap, but will need to augment it somewhat. Some help will come internally, but they will need to go outside the org to fill in a few holes. If only they had a right-handed, power-hitting, corner infielder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I increasingly believe this is Mitch Voit on Opening Day next year.

      Delete
    2. if they are smart, they will target this team to 2028 and let next season be a bonus for something to develop... but being smart isn't their modus...

      Delete
  4. If Carson Wiggins is as good as the Mets evaluators think he is he could be in the pitching mix very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So why not activate him now and let.us get a look at him?

      Delete
  5. As for the starting line-up in 2028, which I understand is both a prediction and an aspiration, I have a couple of minor disagreements -- both in terms of predictions and aspirations First, Benge has to be the RF over Ewing. He has the superior arm -- and not by a little bit either. So I revers their positions. I see Santucci as more likely than either Tong or Thornton, frankly, though right now I like most about Thornton is his curve and his guts. He's got the right attitude. I think of Tong as a two pitch closer or high leverage reliever in 2028.
    Everyone keep saying don't fix what aint broken, but I disagree on both fronts. Tong was broken in two ways. He had a delivery that is a sure fire formula for lower back problems: period. He also had no pitch with lateral movement. Can't be a top starting pitcher with two pitches and one plane; and you can't be any kind of pitcher if your back goes out. Much worse injury than Tommy John. So what's the solution? You may remember, I advocated trading him high. Send him to movement patter specialist not someone who is reading spin rates off a tech device.
    I was right, I believe, in explaining what had gone amiss with Manaea earlier last year and this year. You can not change just one thing when you are making a change that impacts all the complementary movements and muscle, not to mention tendons. Manaea changing his arm angle without addressing what would be different level on his obliques as a result was, I suggested, a problem. You have to remember that the way Tong got over the top release point was through lower back side bend as opposed to side bend through the rib cage. That is because the relationship of his arm to his body was actually the same as a 3/4 delivery pattern for someone without side bend.
    If he is best served by going back to his original release point -- which he may well be - he needs to change the location of his side bend to his thoracic spine and thus his lower rib cage. That is not something anyone looking at tech data is going to figure out. That is where we are on him, and you can ask anyone who knows about this stuff from a movement pattern point of view and I am confident they will tell you the same thing.
    As to catcher, I think a young pitching staff benefits from throwing to the best defensive catcher. On this team that is Torrens. I see him splitting games with Alvarez who has hit better of late, and you can see why. His going to right field with line drive power has the collateral consequence of keeping his shoulders in and his path more inside out. So he is not opening them up prematurely and destroying his kinetic sequence. It is far from a settled change as he is a disaster on high fastballs virtually anywhere, and as a catcher he calls a terrible game, and when he caught Scott last time, I counted the number of times he had Scott throwing his secondary pitches when he was ahead in the count that ended up doing nothing more than increasing his pitch count unnecessarily.
    I guess I also don't see Soto as the IB but I do aspirationally so I can live with that. I can see Suero as third catcher/utility guy, but I would have Alvarez as the RH DH/catcher and Soto as the DH/iB when Torrens catches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot to disagree with

      1. Changing what works in this game might get you closer to working for this team someday, but you never going to work for the Braves or Dodgers.

      Soto in left, Benge in right, and Ewing in center currently works and there is no reason to put mayonnaise in the chili.

      Delete
    2. 2. Santucci does not potus Thornton.

      Given time, he may easily step over either Manaea or Senga but refer back to the current OF leave it the frig alone comment

      Delete
  6. Mack,
    I also would question why more draftees are not activated and playing. Voit was " slow played' last year but is doing quite well in 2026. I hope other recent drafted players will be challenged at higher levels and given a chance to be ready in 2027-28.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been able to figure out the Cohen/Stearns operational plan

      Delete
  7. Mack. I don't understand your response. I am commenting on your 2028 lineup which has Benge in left, Aiden in Center and Ewing in right. I am the one that is keeping things as they are re: Ewing and Benge, as everytime Robert is in center nowadays, Ewing is in left and Benge in right. You are the one that has switched around the entire outfield in your lineup for 2028, not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I'm wrong. I get confused sometimes

      Delete
  8. Also, we disagree about potential of Thornton and Santucci, but that is just an honest reasonable disagreement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For anyone looking for additional clarification of what I have been pointing out about Alvarez's sequencing, see the following from another golf coach who also like me had experience in baseball as well. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YJvuU-qMERk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that folks are underestimating Stafura. Pretty sure that they’re looking at him as our next starting SS, and while he does need to cut down on the K rate just a bit, I believe he’s got a higher ceiling than Rojas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Possible future first baseman.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mack
    Best news I’ve Received all day
    Happy to read more of your work

    ReplyDelete