Pages

8/6/26

Tom Brennan - Post-Trade Deadline Mets Thoughts

 

“Don’t ever stop thinking and questioning…”

 

FIRST, THE UNTRADED?

Jorge Polanco? He likely got rushed back in his semi-impaired physical state, to see if they could get him to show that he was fairly healthy and producing and, hence, tradable.

In July, through Aust 1, however, he was an incomprehensible 4 for 51 (a double and 3 singles), and 3 walks. 

Not tradable, obviously. Not even the Savannah Bananas would want him.

Especially since he is owed the proportional remainder of his $20 million salary this year - and $20 million for next year, too. 

Me? I’d tell him, we are shutting you down to get you healthier for 2027. 

Call Mauricio back up.

Luis Roberts? They would have had to eat too much salary to move him.

Next:

THE TRADES?

The Mets cut payroll. A lot,

Freddy Peralta (Rays), AJ Minter (Twins), Huascar Brazoban (White Sox), Holmes and Taylor (Cubs), Weaver (Pittsburgh) out. 

Quantity in.

For Minter, the Mets got IF Bruin Agbayani’s and OF Billy Amick.

For Peralta, the Mets got OF Aidan Smith, RHP Gary Gill Hill and 2B Émilien Pitre, Tampa Bay's 15th, 26th- and 27th-ranked prospects.

For Brazoban, Chicago sent AA RHP #18 Gabe Davis (22) and “out of top 30” AAA RHP Zach Franklin (27) to the Mets. 

Etc.

The Mets’ Prospect Top 30 has NINE NEW PROSPECTS, including # 1 Jefferson Rojas and # 11 Sammy Stafura.

I won’t analyze the players acquired here. I say... Let them prove (or disprove) themselves. A few of the hitters clearly should make it, and hopefully be better than the likes of Baty and Vientos. Rojas and Stafura, Agbayani and Pitre, I like for their high impact hitting and low whiff rates. If players have high whiff rates, they are Fool’s Gold almost every time, so watch for that.

So far…they are hitting well.  Keep on ROCKING.

Pitchers?. They almost always make it, but for many, it is no more than a MLB cameo to temporarily fill in, and nothing more. The Mets picked up 5 prospect righty pitchers, none that look like “WOW” stuff.

QUANTITY VS. QUALITY?

Do you remember when the Mets traded Tom Seaver to the Mets and got quantity in return?  Bad deal. I suspect that giving up quality to get quantity almost never benefits you. It may improve your minor league teams. But the real purpose, to acquire future QUALITY Major League players, usually does not work out well in Metsville.

Maybe this time will be different, by 2028. I am optimistic. I get into it a bit on Sunday, as far as revised Top 30 prospects as the list has been heavily and rightfully revamped. Think “UPGRADE”.

Next:

CALL UP’S?

You’ve dealt Freddy Falter. Would you then promote a starter who, in his last 2 AAA starts, allowed 1 run and 6 hits in 10 innings, and fanned 16? I would. 

His name? Jonah Tong. Then, he got murdered in a mid week start. He gave up 5 HRs in 5 innings. He gave up just 3 homers in 5 months in the minors last year. More about that on Sunday, too.

Including the early David Peterson trade, the Mets dealt way SEVEN PITCHERS! Wow! It sure seems the pitching’s major gut job will lead to more losses than otherwise in 2026.

POSITIONING?

Besides salary reductions from trade-aways, there is close to a 1:1 additional savings in luxury taxes. It adds up. And, of course, an increased chance of getting a highly valuable top 6 draft pick.

OK, now let’s get that # 1 overall pick and turn the calendar back to 1984-86.


BOBBY OJEDA KNOWS B.O. WHEN HE SMELLS IT. SO DO WE.

From the NY Post:

“I try not to even think about it because it’s so frustrating,” Ojeda told SNY. “I really think it’s on Stearns. 

“He built this thing and I don’t think he believes in intangibles, which I believe are so important to a winning ball-club. 

“I don’t feel like he’s taken enough accountability either. 

“See, you got me talking about this and now I’m sweating…

…because it makes me mad.“

US?  WE CAN SMELL THE B.O., TOO.  WE ARE MAD, TOO.

Meanwhile, the Yankees needed a hitter, so they went out and got Luis Garcia from the Washington Nationals. He was only leading the NL in slugging percentage at .560.  

The Yanks do NOT fool around.

After the deal, their ace pitcher Gerrit Cole said (NY Post), about his team:

“It’s one of the blessings about playing for the Yankees. 

“The organization is always pushing forward and doing their best to improve the team whenever they get the opportunity to. 

“So as a Yankee player, it’s a beautiful position to be in because you can trust what the organization has done over the years.” 

Which led me to think: 

Do any of the Mets’ core players trust the Mets organization?

As a former Brooklyn Nets fan, I saw first a Russian billionaire owner and then a subsequent Chinese billionaire owner try to buy a championship by acquiring aging star talent for innumerable future draft picks. It failed miserably both times. I had little trust, leading to becoming a FORMER fan. The Knicks, like the Yanks, are successful and more fun to follow.

Stop doing this old age home crap with the Mets. Grow organically.

The Mets’ prospect bin is heavily loaded with hitters now, but still light on pitchers.



21 comments:

  1. I'm not sure it's all on Stearns this year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, if you hate strikeouts, then how do you embrace a SS that has struck out 62 times in 40 games in the Pittsburgh system? I really don’t know what happened there, but just like the Holderman for Vogelbach trade, the Pirates seem to be getting over on this team. The Mets should have gotten some more out of them, but how much more may not be a big enough deal.

    I disdain quantity. It seems that Stearns held out until the last second and got burned a little. Don’t know what the story was with Arizona, but the Mets are fortunate to get aromas from the Cubs for two rentals, and one of them a bench player. Also, the Rays overpaid, but about time as they’ve been taking our lunch in trades for years.

    Lastly, I didn’t like sending the Stafura kid to Brooklyn. He has played A+ for Pittsburgh and excelled there (I guess that’s why they traded for him?) but with AA now full, it’s hard to figure out where to play him there. Now Marco Vargas that got bumped up due to age and prospect fatigue, will be squeezed out. Another kid that was always injured, Vargas, has barely played these last two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chain infield is sort of crowded now. You first have to respect Mitch Voit. You can't play three more middle infielders in two positions

      Delete
  3. Stafura fanned “just” 46 times in 39 games since June 1. But homered 17 times, which is pretty sick. He is just 21, so I think he can overcome. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not disappointed that they were unable to move Robert. He is an excellent player on the days he is healthy and along with the young guns makes an impermeable outfield.
    I am disappointed that Polanco even gets at-bats on this team anymore. He hit one out last night, but it's just one. For fifty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would put Polanco on 60 day IL if there is ANY chance he could exacerbate his health for 2027 by playing now. It seems clear he won’t be 100% this year. He needs to be 100% for next year, if he isn’t just cut.

      Delete
    2. Robert could be back if he’d take Taylor money. Which is about 10% of his current deal.

      Delete
    3. Tom, glad to see someone else sees the opportunity in Robert also. But, if he is held together by rubber bands and paper clips, then Whats the use? Play him everyday from here on out to see how he holds up. Bring up Mauricio and play him everyday at second base and let’s see what he does. It’s time to learn about next year.

      Delete
  5. Gus, I make sure the top prospects play every day. A day off here and there. Rest of the guys? That’s business. Do better, or sit.

    JT Schwartz had finally started homering and his average was creeping up. GONE. Wyatt Young and Matt Rudick found out that being 5’6” is terminal when a busload of talent is shipped in. GONE. Wyatt was a nice, versatile guy. GONE. Better players have crowded them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Voit in this, his first full year, in Hi A and AA, since June 1:
    44 games, 40 runs, .306, .415 OBP, 19 extra base hits, 26 steals, 27 walks, 28 Ks.
    Totally sensational numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voit seems to be targeted to spend 2027 in Syracuse.

      That's fine. 2027 looks to be a wash anyway for the parent squad



      Delete
    2. Voit can prove his chops if he stays hot and plays Az Fall Ball. But he cannot be added to the 40 man this year, so he is not barred from minor league games during a strike.

      There is recent precedent…no one thought on Aug 6, 2025 that Benge would be there on opening day 2026

      Delete
  7. How ironic that we have gone from an organization with only one potential ML infielder in the upper regions of the minors to too many. How ironic that we started out thinking we should move our CF (Ewing) to 2B to help alleviate that problem, and now it won't be long before we are exploring moving one of the infielders to the outfield (a la Robin Yount) to alleviate the glut at one position group while solving for a shortage at another.
    Oh well, it looks like we may finally be moving to a period in which the FO faces good problems to have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again

      Ewing does not have enough experience and talent at second to play there in the majors

      Delete
    2. I question Ewing having lack of talent for any position.

      Delete
    3. Ewing is currently ranked... in his rookie season... in the top 15 RF WAR % DRS leaders.

      You're snorting too much club wax, Ray

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Voit's immediate future is on second but may develop as a viable replacement for Lindor some day

      Delete
    2. Suero can play anywhere AND catch.

      Delete
    3. But Suero cannot hit anything like Voit. His average is way lower and he fans twice as much.

      Delete