Pages

8/30/26

Tom Brennan - September Call Up Thoughts


JACOB REIMER LIKELY WON’T BE A SEPTEMBER CALL UP?

But He Will Be Added to the 40 Man Roster This Winter


HEY! YEAH, YOU! 

IT IS ALMOST SEPTEMBER!

ARE YOU READY?


The excerpt below, in blue, was published by someone five years back. 

Given what it says, who do you think gets called up in September? 

Reading it, I’d definitely say, only players already on the “40 man rosters”:

What Does A Lockout Mean for the Minor Leagues

“The minor league season, and players who are not on the 40 man roster or signed to a major league contract, will be unaffected. 

Minor league teams will continue to hold mini camps, minor league spring training, and Extended spring training for these players. 

Teams are continuing to adhere to the terms of all professional development league license agreements with their affiliates and will be operating their minor league operations uninterrupted.”


Given that is likely still the rules heading into 2027’s possible strike, I would therefore not add anybody to the 40 man roster that’s a prospect but that is not already there. 

Simply because, if there is a baseball strike, particularly an extended strike, those unlucky marginal players who added on the 40 man roster, but will probably start 2027 out in the minors, will be screwed in the process.  They’ll twiddle their thumbs.

A Mitch Voit or an Emilien Pitre, for instance, does not have to be on the 40 man roster yet. (Jefferson Rojas apparently will have to be.) 

So it would be ridiculous to add any one of them to the 40 man roster this September or during the off season. They need to be playing in real games for the entirety of 2027. 

And if there is a strike, that means that all 3 will be playing (and improving) in Syracuse in early April.

As such, with the two added September 1 roster spots, I would only call up Jonah Tong, and Nick Morabito or Ronny Mauricio, this September, as both are on the 40 man rosters. 

Tong, by the way, threw 7 innings of one hit shutout ball, walking 2 and fanning 8. 

Me? I am calling Tong up. Why? He’s terrific.

I’d probably leave Mauricio in Syracuse, however, in hopes he’d put up killer AAA stats and hence look more attractive in a trade.

Jacob Reimer has to be added to the 40 mensch roster this off season, time-wise, to avoid the Rule 5 draft. His extensive missed time over the 2024-26 timeframe has put him in that spot. But they won’t want him called up, to possibly look too good if not added to roster pre-Rule 5, and hence I assume they will not call him up. 

And will add him to the 40. But we will know soon enough.

One possible call up is hulking Dylan Ross, who has been lousy almost all year - until his last handful of excellent outings. Last 4 outings through August 23, 5 innings with just one hit anllowed and no runs. Expanding that, Dylan Ross has been mostly excellent over the last 6 weeks. In AAA. Season #s mean nothing…what have you done for me lately does matter. 13 of last 15 outings, unscored on. Call him up. “Mostly terrible, but good in August” Kodai Senga would likely agree.


The rest will all sort itself out.


What are your thoughts? Please limit yourself to 40 thoughts or less.

18 comments:

  1. As Robert was put on waivers, if he is taken then Morabito. If not, Mauricio. Tong is guaranteed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I was out all day yesterday and missed the Robert outright waiver move. Moving that Conga line along. His departure, if claimed, saves then $5+ million in salary and penalty $.

      Delete
  2. Over the month of August Jonah Tong produced a 2.39-ERA.

    Last four starts: 0.84.

    He’s ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Past Tong, I would continue to think future.

    Make your second pick as OF/DH Nick Morabito. He needs to start proving he can produce at the OF-4 level, before one of the Aidan Boys outtakes him some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick has been quagmire in the low .250s most of the year. I thought he’d do better.

      Delete
  4. Quick question if Roberts clears waivers are they able to trade him like years past or did they squash that rule?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe not, as I read this: if the two days pass without him getting claimed, it becomes just another footnote in a disappointing year, another sign of the Mets admitting an offseason mistake.

      If they could still trade him, I don’t think they would’ve written it that way

      Delete
  5. My guess is that it will be Tong and Morabito. Interested in seeing what arsenal of pitches Tong brings with him and how they react to his arm angle change. Morabito could platoon with Ewing in the OF against lefties and DH occasionally against RH though Vientos is more likely to do that on a regular basis. This is likely his last opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vientos had 3 hits. Seems as ready as..,Robert.

      Delete
    2. you're probably right about Vientos

      Delete
    3. Vientos 3 home runs and 5 rbi today

      Delete
  6. teams won't claim Robert as the team that has him will have to either pick up the option for next year or pay him a few million if they don't. Aren't many players worth that cost for a month's worth of performance or injury. Will the Mets take him off the 40 man roster? I don't see why they wouldn't. I'm not sure I understand how the rules work at this point, however. If they did, it would free up another spot for a call-up

    ReplyDelete
  7. In any event, with Juan Soto being “called up”, I fear that we will have barely too good a record to avoid the 10 slot draft drop. The Mets are just 3 games ahead of Minnesota, which currently resides in the 7th slot. Soto assuredly will want to crush it the rest of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kansas City could keep winning and move up opening that sixth slot up for the Mets. Yeah I know wishful thinking.

      Delete