Pages

9/11/26

MACK – THOUGHTS & OTHER TIDBITS

 


MACK – THOUGHTS & OTHER TIDBITS

 

Thoughts

 

They just couldn’t help themselves. They had 6th place locked up. Heck, they even was in 5th. But nooooooooooooo… they had to go on a couple of big-time winning streaks  and ruin everything. I guess what’s important here is that Francisco Lindor is not over the hill and Bo Bichette is what we hoped he would be when Stearns locked him up. Still, I’m going to miss that early pick.

 

On 9-6-2026, Christian Scott threw a stat line that has NEVER been thrown before in MLB history. No shit:

4.2-IP, 4-H, 2-ER, 0-BB, 7-K

This dates back to the Cleveland Red Stockings that toured in 1869.

Now, THIS is amazing.

 

I thought Jonah Tong did quite well on Monday. Yeah, there was that home run ball, but he had 16 whiffs, plenty to win a ballgame. The Mets need to leave him on the parent team for the remainder of the season and let him pitch every five games. He needs to start operating internally as a permanent major leaguer. The mental part of this game is big-time and Tong needs to internally become one of the boys.

 

I no longer have any contacts within the Mets organization, so all I have is my opinions. There are specific things I wished would happen between now and opening day 2027. Here are some of them:

1.     I want the direction of this team to be to build a world class team in 2028

2.     I want 2027 to be a year that will be used accomplish this goal

3.     I’ll stay with Francisco Alvarez behind the plate until something better comes along.

4.     I want the front office to begin to convince Juan Soto that his future is either on first base or as a designated hitter.

5.     If Soto won’t play first, I will stay with Jared Young until Billy Amick is ready.

6.     I want Marcus Semien to stop wearing a Mets uniform.

7.     I don’t care who plays second on opening day 2027. This position is Emilien Pitre’s to lose, which could happen pretty quickly if Mitch Voit keeps maturing.

8.     Francisco Lindor is my shortstop. Period; however, I would try to talk him into a little infield practice

9.     I’m taking Bo and his wife to Peter Luger’s every night until he agrees to come back in 2027, Past that, it’s Jefferson Rojas time.

10. Designated hitter is in play. My desire is for Soto to do this as early as 2027. Billy Amick and Corey Collins are future candidates but I might have to go outside here.

11. I’m happy with the Psycho-twins plus Nick Morabito starting in 2027 with D’Andre Smith backing them up. Enter the Aiden twins in 2028, as well as Trey Snyder. Might find your future DH here too.

12. Starter wise, 2027 is McLean, Scott, Thornton, Tong, and somebody. Hopefully, the somebody is someone big. Jonathan Santucci and Jack Wenninger offer up emergency SP6 and SP7 candidates. Past that, it’s either ‘we don’t need anyone new’ or it’s highly fluid.

13. Reliever wise, 2027 offers up Kodai Senga, Jonathan Pintaro, Tobias Myers, Saul Garcia, Dylan Ross, Brian Metoyer, and Ben Simon. Add Carlos Guzman, Bryce Jenkins, and Garrett Stratton in 2028.

 

Promotions

 

RHP Landon Koenig – from FCL-Mets to A-St. Lucie

RHP Gavin Guidry – from FCL Mets to St. Lucie

RHP Justin Hagenman – from 60-day IL to AAA-Syracuse

RHP Gary Gill Hill – from AA-Binghamton to AAA-Syracuse

RHPP Garrett Stratton – from AA-Binghamton to AAA-Syracuse

RHRP Parker Carlson – from A+ Brooklyn to AA-Binghamton

RHRP Ryan Dollar – from A+ Brooklyn to AA-Binghamton

 

Prospect Color Changes

 

Minor Tidbits

 

The hero of the last game of the St. Lucie Mets season were the 11 relievers used in that game that produced 18 strikeouts over 12 innings. Most got one inning each, Brett Banks closed with two thrown. And Luke McNeillie struck out three in his inning. Interesting way to close out a miserable year played in a ton of rain.

 

AAA-Syracuse CF, D’Andre Smith, keeps making a case to become one of the 2027 utility outfielders. On Sunday, he went 2-4, 1-R, HR (4), 2-RBI, and raised his BA to .344 while turning out a 1.003-OPS. You can’t turn your back on a stat line like this one.

 

The Mets #1 prospect, IF/DH Jefferson Rojas, had another impressive day on Sunday: 4-5, 2-R, 9TH Met HR, 6th Met double, 3-RBI. More importantly, his seasonal total was risen to 24-HR and 86-RBI. I’ll take it.

 

A stat crossed my eyes on Sunday night worth noting. The Mets #7 prospect, IF Jacob Reimer, through Sunday, as 18-RBIs in his last 25 games. These are the kind of stats we’ve been waiting for from this young man. Still, as of Sunday, his AA stats are 279-AB, 80-K (28.7%), only 7-HR and 35- RBI and a BA of 237. Reimer will play 2027 as a 23/year old. There still is time, but there may not be room. Oh. By the way… Reimer played first base on Tuesday. Hmm…

 

AAA-Syracuse 1B/DH Billy Amick hit his 36th home run on Tuesday night. That gave him 105-RBI and an .871-OPS. All he has to do is raise that .228-BA to around .240 and the least he becomes is next season’s DH. At best, the Mets first basema.

 

AA-Binghamton 1B Corey Collins continues to wake up late and impress. Wednesday, he belted his 10th home run of the season, going 2-4, R, 2B(5) as well, and raising his seasonal OPS to .942. His multi-team totals now stand at 18-HR and 61-RBI. And, he played LF last night. Love it!

 

AAA-Syracuse SP, Jonathan Santucci, has a long way to go to secure a rotation spot on the Mets, but he threw his 3rd quality start in a row Wednesday night, going 5.0-IP, 5-H, 1-ER, 0-BB, 6-K. That was a 3-start stat line of 15-IP, 5-ER, 19-K. My guess he will begin next season in Syracuse as that emergency SP-6.


6 comments:

  1. Semien owed a total of $46 million if 2027 and 2028. A big nut. Though getting baseball-old, they may hope he will improve a bit as a broken in Met in 2027.

    I largely agree with the rest. Ain’t that something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything Tom wrote - which by default is almost everything Mack wrote - but I have a few things to add.

    Last night, for a reason I cannot explain, I really had the urge to see a minor league game. That happens m a y b e once a year, so I tried to find Syracuse’s game on my app since Binghamton’s game was over. I saw Wenninger pitch and I saw Clifford hit. The St. Paul announcers were fawning over Clifford’s quick bat and power and I’m sure his second double might have been a homerun, but they didn’t show a replay or check. They couldn’t believe this was the player that had to go to development. The Mets have to protect this player.

    Wenninger didn’t impress me. He has a deliberate delivery and a nice off speed pitch, but that’s it. The fastball at 93 looked straight and I just didn’t see a MLB pitcher despite the success. If a team is willing to take him with all of Semien’s salary, that would be great. Otherwise, I’m not crying for Cohen’s money if Semien got cut. But, I doubt he will. Maybe platooned.

    Back to Clifford. The other night, a Seattle rookie hit a HR at 476 feet, the longest since i dont remember. The impressive thing is this kid that Keith Law gave 80 grade power also struck out 40% in the minors. Law went on the touch on some other big prospects, but all of them have strikeout issues at over 30%. Maybe we should ease up on our own in light of the problem around baseball? In fact, the Dodgers called up their big prospect, who also has strikeout issues.

    And lastly, I heard a stat the other night which left me stunned. Whenever I saw a Braves game, it seemed like they ALWAYS got the big hit. Well, now I know why I felt that way. The Braves have by far the lower Left On Base percentage in MLB at 52%. Are they that good, or that lucky? As much as I hate, despise, loathe that team, I have to think they are lucky as crap and Will crap themselves in the playoffs when the Padres sweep them because their fairy dust runs out. God, I hate Michael Harris, Ozzie Albies, Austin Riley, Drake Baldwin for sure, and a few other guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I saw Parada gun down a base stealer with a perfect throw. This kid may also need to be protected. I know we have prospect fatigue with him and there are too many guys to protect on Rule 5, but he hit a HR, he looked very good behind the plate, if this kid isn’t protected, I would draft him if I ran another team’s Rule 5.

    D’Andre Smith looked good; Nick Loretto missed a meatball down the pipe that wasn’t that fast and I couldn’t understand how he completely missed that pitch in his swing, and Brujan had a big hit but he sucks. Why Stearns even drafted him is beyond me. Mauricio was off and Melendez looked like he looks on the Mets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be at Peter Lugar's on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete