I saw this headline and lead-in, in the Daily News:
Going to Knicks’ Opening Night? It’ll cost you at least $1,000
“If you're going to watch the Knicks receive their 2026 NBA Championship rings on Opening Night at Madison Square Garden, you'll need to bring your checkbook with you.”
So, let me get this straight…
$1,000 or more to attend a non-playoff game to celebrate the prior season’s championship win. I guess not everyone with deep pockets has left Mamdani’s NY.
When I was a kid, I went to many Mets games by sending in 10 Bordens milk carton coupons for a free ticket. When I paid, without redeeming coupons, the ticket was under $2. I used my student pass to get on the bus and subway for 5 cents.
When I bought 2 tickets from Ken Griffey Sr’s sister-in-law for the sixth game of the 1977 Yankees-Dodgers World Series, seats half way up in the upper deck, east of first base, to see the Reggie Jackson miracle 3 HR game, I paid her face value:
$15 apiece.
I also attended 3 championship games in Dr J’s triumphant final year in the ABA in 1975(?). Those tickets, as I recall, cost about $10 each.
Musically, I went to some Fillmore East concerts around 1970 for $5.
I went to Gaelic Park in the Bronx in 1972 for two 3-band $5 concerts, spending a total of $10.
I got to see Yes, Humble Pie, Mountain, Black Oak Arkansas, Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper for $10.
I was glad to live as a young man back in a day when you didn’t have to break the bank to attend games and concerts.
Those affordable days are gone.
Somebody has to ante up to pay the Mets’ $350 million salary tab plus all other team expenses, right? Parking costs a car payment, etc., etc.
It rarely is me these days doing the paying.
I am fine watching games on TV.
By the way, baseball costs were “slightly” lower back in those days.
Tom Seaver won the Cy Young in 1969, and made a whopping $80,000 in 1970 as a “reward”.
These days, Juan Soto earns more than twice that amount - per game.
PETE AND JEREMIAH HAVE MUCH IN COMMON
Pete Alonso is the ex-Met everyone knows.
Jeremiah Jackson is the ex-Met prospect nobody remembered.
What did they have in common?
They both hit a HR in Tuesday’s’ Mets loss.
They both hit a HR in Wednesday’s Mets loss.
- Four straight losses, helping the draft positioning chances.
- Xzavion Curry unintentionally did his draft-positioning part:
- By surrendering 4HRs, 3 other hits, 3 walks, and 6 runs in just 3 IP.
- Yan threw 3 perfect innings. 3 Ks. 32 pitches, 21 for Ks. Yay for Yan.
JEFFERSON ROJAS ROCKS
In his 2nd AAA game, Rojas went 3 for 3 including a 103 MPH HR, and a BB.
In his first game, 2 for 5 with a 106 MPH HR.
THAT SCREAMS “SPECIAL” TO ME.
He has 26 HRs, along with 27 doubles, two triples, 90 RBI and 20 SB.
In just 122 games. Hitting almost .280.
He may well force his way onto the Mets on opening day, like Benge did.
He turns 22 in late April 2027. He plays 2B, SS, and 3B.

Rojas has had an amazing year. Would they benefit by sending him to the Arizona league? So he gets more reps so he can make the jump 1st game next year? Maybe he just needs rest? I would send him and if he does well there and spring training is our next player up for the ROY award?
ReplyDeleteYeah I just watch them on tv, I already have a car payment I can’t afford, lol
We will do a Zozo GoFundMe so you can get bleacher seats for the Mets this post season.
DeleteRegarding Rojas
ReplyDeleteI wrote about him tomorrow and ask the question, if he hits this way for the remainder of this season at AAA where do you open him up next season?
I continue to wish Pete the best, playing stress free baseball for a small market last place team. Jackson never hit in Mets org that I remember so it is what it is.
ReplyDeleteJeremiah Jackson hit .205 as he repeated AA for the Mets in 2024. One could have surmised he was done, if the best he could have done in repeating AA was hit barely above .200.
ReplyDeleteBut he may just have been done with a Mets franchise that couldn’t help him right his ship.
He since has graduated to the Majors and in 419 at bats in 2025/26, he has 14 HR, 64 RBI, .248. Essentially, he has outplayed or even-played Semien..At minimum wage.