Pages

▼

10/2/26

MACK - Chain Position Analysis - First Base

 


Okay... so much for catcher.

We move on to a position we didn't have to worry about for years... first base.

We have RED prospects, BLUE prospects, and ALMOST prospects.

Here we go...

RED Prospect - 

AAA/Syracuse Billy Amick (23) - a big-time surprise. His combined 38-HR and 108-RBI is large. His 161-K in 450-AB is acceptable. And his 62-BB are just icing. It seems to me that the furthest he is away from Queens in the break, and yet, the break may be the start of the MLB season.

BLUE Prospect - 

MLB - Jared Young (31) - this is your first base caretaker until Amick is deemed ready. He had 308-AB for the Mets in 2026, hitting a respectable .266, with 9-HR. He struck out only 63 time, in 308 at-bats. And I don't remember him ever embarrassing himself like others that played first this past season. He probably has no future past an Amick promotion, unless he hits like hell, forcing Amick into a DH role he has one minor league option left).

AAA Nick Lorusso (26) - Lorusso's claim to fame in 2026 was his 19-Hr for AA/Binghamton. Add to that the two he hit for AAA/Syracuse and his combined power stats were 22-HR, 65-RBI, .459-slug% and .777-OPS. The problem is there wasn't much else past these numbers. 

Lorusso needs a full season in the Cuse'. Right now, he just consistently hits all pitcher, left or right, below .250.

AA Corey Collins (24) - Collins is interesting. First, and most important, he is not a complete player yet. He's still finding his way. First... the good... 18 home runs (10 at the AA level) ... 61-RBI... AA-BA: .250... the bad? Tailed off in last 28 days (.184) ... questionable splits... against RHP: 14-HR but .234. LHP: only 4-HR but .253-BA. 

He only had 136-AA in Binghamton, so there is a lot to said to start him back up there in the spring. Yeah, Amick should start in Syracuse, and the next guy needs to play more in Brooklyn, leaving Lorusso as the odd guy out.  

A+ Randy Guzman - (21) - Guzman made a splash this past season at A/St. Lucie (208-AB, 66-K, 12-HR, 41-RBI, 28-BB, .274/.377/.514/.891, but took off after being promoted to A+ Brooklyn (28-AB, 7-K, 1-HR, 6-RBI, .393/.438/.536/.973. As expected, his HR/AB% went down at Coney. He missed a lot of games due to injury.

The bottom line here is 28 at-bats does not warrant a promotion to AA/Binghamton. And Collins is in the way anyway. Bring him back next to that roller coaster.

DSL - Jonnhan Sanchez - (19) - I'm not used to the Mets having decent bats at the DSL level... heck, I'm not used to decent pitching either. Sanchez is off to a great start: 152-AB, 3-HR, 38-RBI, 10-doubles, .309/.459/.447/.907. Splits: last 90: .255. home: .377, away: .253, August: .160. I definitely will work on a visa here and get him to Florida as soon as I can to get in the lab.


ALMOST prospect -

AAA Ryan Clifford - (23) - my, how the mighty has fallen.
 
At last year around now, we were critical of the amount of strikeouts he had and his .237 batting average; however, we were comforted with his 23-HR, 93-RBI output. This year, still a shitey number of K's but his homers have fallen to 18, his ribbys are a miserable 56, and his BA was a resounding .180. Is he still an 'almost'? I really don't think so, but I have to respect that he has done better in the past. 

Amick has obviously passed him as the #1 candidate for not only- the next first baseman, but also possibly the designated hitter. Probably others have passed him as the 2nd and 3rd candidate at first. Still, I would like to hope he can return as a DH candidate in the future.

A+/Brooklyn - Cole Mathis - (23) - had 120 at-bats this past season at the A+ level: 3-HR, 24-RBI, .225-BA. Frankly, I'm not sure I have him as an almost prospect. The only place he has professionally hit decently so far is in the fall. I do like the name though, and I followed him for his for three years in the top party school in South Carolina. Must be that.

FCL Reed Stallman - (23) - Stallman is just gettin' going and, based on the fact he turns 24 in March, he must turn on the jets. He only has 56 professional at-bats under his belt and all of them have been at the FCL level. still, he hit .318 for Mississippi State last season and those 
56-AB produced a .250-BA. Obviously, start this off as St. Lucie's starting first baseman and let's see what we got here.

Mack's spin - The addition of Amick changed everything. 

First, Pete is gone. You have to get over that if you want to analyze the Mets future at this position. I get it. Having no Alonso is like a death in the family. Cremate the dude and move on. 

My guess, by opening day 2028, there will be no more chatter on Alonso. Until then, Young is good enough to hold down the fort until Billy is ready. 

Collins and Guzman are still developing. but offer possible future help here. It might not kill the Mets to hold onto Brett Baty until this position solidifies.


Rating - B-  

5 comments:

  1. I’m pulling hard for Big Billy. But is he opening day ready for the Mets? I’d say no.

    Cole Mathis hopefully will tear up AZ. Another walking wounded player who needs to get healthy.

    Lorusso seems AAAA, but time will tell.

    Clifford? Not a fan of the fanner.

    I’d like to like Guzman, but he has missed so much time the past three seasons. Just 168 games in 3 years. Play 130 games in 2027 and show us what you actually are.

    Reimer could play 1B, but he can’t stay on the field long enough to show what he can do, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left Reimer off the first base post because it isn't his primary position.

      Yes, he can play first, but if he doesn't hit and/or can't stay on the field, the only future position he will have is "left out".

      Delete
  2. To paraphrase Art Howe in Moneyball, the Mets don’t have a first baseman, they have a bunch of guys that play the position.
    Baty was teasing us again in September, but sucked otherwise. Young stood there pretty well, but didn’t do much damage. Polanco will get hurt if he sneezes hard.

    Amick, Clifford, Collins…. Hard to say. Let’s just let them sort themselves out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why you can't use your Mets intelligence and put together 500 collective words of thought and create a post every once-in-awhile.

      Can I at lease tempt you to join our confidential writer's text feed?

      If so, email me your telcon

      macksmets@gmail.com

      Delete