10/9/26

MACK - Chain Position Analysis - Second Base

 


Moving on to second... this position not only looks deep, but very promising. There are two rising RED prospects that, not only are showing signs of being a future, productive major league second baseman, but also have the ability to play on short and third as well. Thank the draft for one and the last trading period for the other:

RED PROSPECTS - 

AAA/Syracuse - Emilien Pitre - (23) - Pitre's big splash last season was at the AA level, where he hit a combined .335 for two teams. He was then promoted to AAA where he debuted with a respectful .260. One of the important things here is Pitre can also play SHORTSTOP. Another LHH. The most important thing is, in 2026, for four teams at three levels (AAA/AA/A+) he hit .306/.420/.427/847, 80-BB, 35-SB, and struck out only 58 times in 415-AB. Most of this time was spent at the AA level, where he hit .335. Me? I can't find anything bad here and, though I like the other RED prospect more, I can't see a reason to move this guy aside. 

AA/Binghamton - Mitch Voit - First. This is the 2026 Mets Player of the Year. Do I need to say more? By the book, Voit also offers versatility, being able to play both short and third. In AA/Binghamton this season, he hit an amazing .347/.430/.517/.947. Combined A+/AA: 411-AB, 94-K, 51-BB, 45-SB, 13-HR, 59-RBI. Like Pitre, there is nothing bad here. 

BLUE PROSPECTS - 

A+ /Brooklyn - Sammy Stafura - (21) - Love the age. Hit .301 at the A+ level prior to being traded to the Mets. After, .244. A+/A combined 2026 stat line: 303/AB, 102-K, 22-HR, 59-RBI, 41-BB, 22-SB, .267/.364/.545/.909. Plays short as well as he plays second. Hit .333 in last 28 days. .272 against RHP, .246 vs. LHP. Local boy (Westchester County). 

FCL - Yorber Semprum - (19) - LHH - Opened the season strong for DSLO (.389) and quickly promoted to the FCL Mets. Decent start in Florida: 62-AB, 18-K, 7-BB, 2-HR, 8-RBI, .258/.352/.435/.788. Also, can play short and third. .326 at home. .235 away. .311 vs. RHP.

ALMOST PROSPECTS - 

AAA/Syracuse - Vidal Brujan - (28) - SWH - also plays short and in the outfield. Free agent 2029. Played 2026 primarily at the AAA level: 216-AB, 41-K, 35-BB, 5-HR, 34-RBI, 16-SB, .278/.385/.421/.807. 11 at-bats for the Mets (.091). A nice emergency AAAA player that I hope the Mets keep around.

AA/Binghamton - Marco Vargas - (21) - LHH - also plays short and third. Played primary at the AA level in 2026: 209-AB, 68-K, 27-BB, 28-SB, 3-HR, 29-RBI, .282/.363/.407/.770. .390 last 28 days. .291 at home. .264 away. .297 vs. RHP, .271 vs. LHP. .333 in August. Missed two months due to an "undisclosed injury".

MACK - Both excellent talent and depth here. Also, tremendous versatility in being able to play multiple positions. I'm particularly impressed with the speed, both on the bases but also in the field. Pitre is going to graduate first, probably by the 2027 break, but Voit is going to make it interesting when he's ready. Francisco Lindor better start hitting and playing better D in the field or he could be out a starting position in a year or two. I try not to get too excited about prospects that have done nothing yet at the parent level, but, on the surface, I would say that both mid-infield positions easily though this decade.

Rating - A+

15 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

I’d not give them an A+ only due to current lack of big power, but I really like Pitre, Voit…and Vargas, who had some amazing closing stretch. Stafura needs to get out of Brooklyn immediately, so we can see what he can hit in a normal park.

Tom Brennan said...

Agbayani already has 4 errors in Arizona. He won’t be in the list for a while.

Mack Ade said...

may just be riding his father's coattails

Mack Ade said...

Understand your concern. I too love power, but I can live without it from a great defensive second baseman that has speed and can spray

Jules C-- The Cautious Optimist said...

Love everything about the infield versatility. The hardest decisions here will be picking who stays and who becomes available in high end trade for help elsewhere.

Mack Ade said...

Correctomondo

Martin said...

Where is Rojas?

Paul Articulates said...

Yes, Rojas (also red prospect) can play up the middle as well. Here, I think that he is being groomed as a third baseman because Bichette only will be around for a couple years if he decides not to opt out.

Mack Ade said...

Projected to be the next Mets third baseman

Jules C-- The Cautious Optimist said...

The thing I like about all this is that the infield is now getting time aligned with a group headed by Voit, Petri and Rojas, supplemented by the likes of Sneyder, Barro and Vargas, then with Pena and Asignan thereafter. That'a lot of potential depth at everywhere but 1B. And there is potential depth there as well with power too provided they can field the position: Collins, Mathis, Amick, Guzmann.
This was unheard of a year or so ago
And a similar story in the outfield though less deep and immediate right now with Robbins, Morabito and Smith in waiting. I would also not discount turning one of the infield prospects into a potential outfielder. How ironic just a year ago we had this going in the opposite direction re: Ewing to 2B

Mack Ade said...

First and catcher currently thin

TexasGusCC said...

Stafura hit 13 HRs in the month of July before the trade. That’s some sort of helium that the Pirates cashed in.

Agbayani is low enough that no one pays attention to him. I predict Petri to learn how to lift the ball and have a slight uptick in HR. Remember, power is the last skill to master.

Tom Brennan said...

My brother reminded me that the MLB Top 100 prospect list has Rojas at #68, and no one else. On average, every team should have three. The Dodgers have SIX.

Maybe we are too effusive about our prospects becoming the next best thing to sliced bread.

Mack Ade said...

Hey!

I like sliced bread!

Tom Brennan said...

And the sum of the Top 4 Dodgers’ rankings in the top 100 add up to 58. In other words, those 4 average out to a Top 15 prospect.