IS CITI FIELD ENOUGH OF A METS ADVANTAGE?
OR IS IT A NET DISADVANTAGE?
MAXIMIZE ADVANTAGE, BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY
TITLE OF MY ARTICLE IS BASICALLY…
HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE WANTED…
AND HOW ABOUT AN EASIER DIVISION WHILE WE ARE AT IT?
The Mets should hang a HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE WANTED sign at Citi Field.
I am the chief advocate of moving fences in at Citi Field. Y’all know that.
Why? Bottom line?
I want to maximize home field advantage.
For a team that misses the playoffs almost every stinking season.
Who benefited from home field advantage? Well….winning teams have…
The 6 division leading teams in baseball through September 9 were:
272-172 at home (100 games above .500)
229-202 on road (just 27 games above .500)
Average those six out, and you get:
45-29 at home.
38-34 on road.
What is that?
An average of +6 wins at home. Distinct home advantage.
Only Houston, of those 6 teams, was (slightly) worse at home.
The Mets, meanwhile?
34-40 at home.
34-38 on road.
What is that?
Slight Citi home DISadvantage.
So…
Move the stinking fences anywhere you’d like…in or out…or don’t.
What I want (and what Steve and David should want)…
Is a “distinct home advantage”, virtually every year.
Figure it out, gentlemen. It’s your floundering team, not mine.
One place besides fences to start, for an increased team advantage?
Resist geographic and league division assignment “theology”…you see…
I do not care if the Mets are located on the east coast.
I’d still like them to be in the AL Central or AL West. Why?
As of Sept. 9?
The combined AL Central record was 41 games below .500. And…
The combined AL West record was 73 games below .500.
That means…
1) The teams in those divisions REALLY SUCK
and
2) It’s exponentially easier to make the playoffs if you’re in a sucky division.
And doggone it, Mets fans WANT THE PLAYOFFS! Annually.
So…take advantage of this off season to push for home field, and team, advantages, wherever you may find them.

12 comments:
Yanks wielded their home field advantage last night. They understand “advantage”.
Mets secured a needed LOSS. I WANNA BE IN THAT TOP 6.
I can't send these posts to Steve anymore.
He has blocked me
Did the Mets fail because they tried too hard to hit the ball over the short porch in right? I saw a lot of deliberate swings when they had men on base.
I like the fences where they are. I like pitcher friendly ball parks. iMO where we have gone wrong is we haven’t built our offense to the stadium. I do think we are headed in the right direction.
Our team should be built on speed and defense. I always say that we should be building our team like the early 80’s cardinals. They played in cavernous Busch stadium but ran like their asses were on fire, played small ball, had a great defense and great pitching.
I think we moved our fences in plenty over the years, now continue to push these kids to run, run run!!!
Zozo, Mets are set up to run. But lots of runners start to decelerate after 3-4 years. Power lasts longer
I missed the game, sorry to say. I saw that Soto disappointingly GIDP to end game with tying run at the dish.
Steve should have someone read our stuff daily. Never know when an idea might resonate.
Tom, good teams are supposed to win 2/3 of their home games and 1/2 of their road games. It’s not the fences.
Remember what Gene Autry sang...
Mack, I do not. I do remember Gary Gentry singing I Don’t Wanna Be Second Fiddle.
"Don't Fence Me In"
Got ya, pardner.
Post a Comment