8/13/26

Paul Articulates - Talking to the new guys: Gary Gill Hill


With five of the new trade acquisitions assigned to the Binghamton Rumble Ponies, there is a lot of excitement at the AA level.  The team recently gave us the opportunity to speak with them about their journey and their new team.

Today’s highlight is Gary Gill Hill, the new #19 prospect in the Mets’ organization.  Gill Hill came to the Mets along with Emilien Pitre and Aiden Smith from the Rays for Freddy Peralta.  He was drafted out of High School by Tampa Bay in the sixth round of the 2022 draft, and has pitched his way up to AA this year.  In his first start with the Rumble Ponies (the day before this interview), he threw five innings of three hit ball, allowing no earned runs and striking out four.   What struck me most in the interview was his understanding of the pitches he had and how to use them to get people out.  He also knows what to work on to improve their effectiveness.  To me, this is someone who will only get better over time.

Here is what he had to say:

Q: The Mets have invested a lot in their future, and you are part of that – someone they wanted in this organization.  In your words, what do you believe that you bring to the Mets organization?

A: I believe that I am someone that will throw a lot of strikes and get people out.  I have a good defense behind me that I can trust, so I can go out there and do my thing to help the team win.

Q: You made your first start in the Mets organization last night.  Five scoreless innings.  How did it feel?

A: It feels good because I live about two hours from here, so it pretty much feels like home.  It is good being back here in New York since I haven’t pitched here since 2022 in high school.

Q: Talk a little about your stuff.  What do you rely on, what can the fans expect to see?

A: I have five pitch mix of a four seam, sinker, cutter, sweeper, and a change-up.  I rely a lot on the sinker to get guys to roll over and hit ground balls, especially if there are a man on first or first and third to turn a double play.  The sweeper is a put-away pitch; the cutter to jam lefties and get week contact; and the four-seam to get weak fly-outs. It is a pitch mix just to get guys out.

Q: How is the atmosphere on the team so far, particularly after pitching so well yesterday?

A: The atmosphere is pretty good. I like coming to the field with a bunch of new guys I am getting acclimated to – it’s a really good, upbeat vibe right now. It feels like a new home.

Q: Can we expect any of your friends and family to come up to see you?

A: I had my high school coach come to see me yesterday to watch me pitch and then I have other friends planning on coming to see me this weekend when they don’t have to work.

Q: You mentioned a lot of pitches in your arsenal.  Which ones are you working on the most?

A: My change-up and my fast ball a little more.  There’s always room to improve all of the pitches to make them more effective.


1 comment:

Tom Brennan said...

9-3 this season as a starter at age 21, mostly in AA. Hits allowed are high, but he walks few. Seems like a possible backend starter or middle reliever. Should be a Mets at some point in mid to late 2027.