5/5/21

Craig Mitchell - Mitchell's Musings

 

Mitchell’s Musings


GKR RULES….

Being Met fans we are spoiled. With the advent of MLB.TV I have had the opportunity to listen to various broadcast teams across Major League Baseball. I invariably compare them to the SNY/PIX team of Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling. My take-away is...everyone else bores me stiff! That’s no crime, I guess. But it’s a fact. I love GKR. But are they that good? Yes, they are! They are honest, knowledgeable, fearless and they can devastatingly funny just


being themselves. The Mets have been blessed with great booths from the beginning. Ask any old time Met fan (Myself included) and we will tell you we can still hear the voices of Bob Murphy, Lindsay Nelson and Ralph Kiner echoing in our heads on muggy summer nights. 

It’s actually a credit to GKR that they consistently play tribute to that original trio. As a matter of fact, until he passed in 2014, Kiner was a regular guest in the Mets booth on Friday nights. I loved it, also, can Ralph really be gone 7 years already? 

They are the Mets crew and unlike any broadcast duo or trio I ever remember, they don’t pull punches even when they land on the Mets side of the field. Back on April 8th when Michael Conforto seemed to lean into a pitch by Anthony Bass to bring home the game winning run, GKR didn’t hold back. They were clear that it appeared that Conforto made no effort to get out of the way and in fact may have intentionally leaned in to the pitch to get the win. 

They didn’t all laugh and leave us with a “feel good” win. They were objective, honest and forthright in their opinion that the win, while official, may have been tainted. Seriously, what’s not to love? GKR are more than announcers. They are guardians of the game I love and Met fans are damn lucky to have them.


A-ROD, PLEASE SHUT UP…..


In sharp contrast to the aforementioned GKR, we have ESPN Sunday nights. First off the ESPN
broadcast is kind of the Fischer Price of baseball coverage. With in-game dual dugout interviews, off the field video clips that play in split screen during a broadcast and “Mic’d up” players during actual game play. I will say that this past Sunday the broadcast itself wasn’t terrible. I love Matt Vasgersian.

He’s an excellent baseball man. I love him on Hot Stove in the off season, and I love him on my MLB 21: The Show video game. His partner A-Rod…That’s another story. Is it just me, or just listening to A-Rod, doesn’t he sound the person at the office water cooler who makes up stories just to sound interesting? 

I swear I feel like when the broadcast looks to A-Rod for some color, he’s pulling rainbow paper mache from his butt. He said some puzzling stuff during this past Sunday’s broadcast. The one comment that sticks out to me was about Francisco Lindor.  Lindor’s slow

start was a topic of discussion several times during the telecast. A-Rod started off by criticizing Lindor’s approach in batting practice. That’s fine, I saw his point. But what’s good for A-Rod might not be good for Lindor. But what really made me scratch my head was his comment that he’d be happier if Lindor stopped hitting home runs and concentrated on hitting .320. Then said, if it were up to him, he’d fine Lindor if he hit over 25 home runs. 

Um...What? Seriously what? I really wanted to freeze time and walk into that booth and say to Rodriguez; “Whoa, whoa, whoa...When did you become anti-home run? Was it after your first suspension or your second?” Yes I went there. Overall I find A-Rod as disingenuous as anyone I have ever heard broadcasting sports. He wants to be an all knowing sage. He wants to be seen as a wise baseball guru who has insight into the mysteries of baseball. 

 Sorry. I don’t see it. I’m sure A-Rod has his fans and supporters, but at 61, I have a keen eye for Bulls**t. When it comes to A-Rod <sniffs the air> the red flags and air freshener come out.


LINDOR….

Met fans are all beside themselves about Francisco Lindor. They feel justified too. They feel they have


341 million reasons to expect a lot. I get it, but man, the shade fans are throwing at Lindor is staggering. New York is a tough place to play. I’ve seen many high priced free agents and players struggle under the spotlight. They come to mind very easily. 1982; George

Foster struggled under the weight of expectation and played with the handicap of no protection in the line up and only managed a .247 BA with 13 homers and 70 ribbies. In 1997 Mike Piazza didn’t start off like a house of fire and got booed soundly at Shea. 2005, Carlos Beltran had a rather pedestrian debut season for the Mets only batting .266 with 16 homers. 

And let’s not forget Jason Bay. Oh man. Jason Bay. Bay signed with the Mets in 2010 and went from the cozy confines of Fenway to the cavern-like newness of Citi Field. He went from MVP numbers of 36 homers and 119 RBI to 6 homers in his debut season. Everyone but Bay worked it out eventually. Lindor will also. He’s a notorious slow starter. Also, how can he not feel the pressure to perform in the early season. He will adjust. I am certain the flushing faithful will see “classic” Lindor in 2021. Lindor is NOT another Jason Bay…..if there’s a God in heaven.

5 comments:

Mack Ade said...

So...

You like Alex...

Craig Mitchell said...

LOL

Anonymous said...

Our radio team is even better!! :)

Tom Brennan said...

We undoubtedly have had the best TV and radio announcers in sports since 1962.

I can't imagine still being a Mets fan today if I had to listen to the likes of John and Suzyn. Holy Cow!

Mike Steffanos said...

Same here. I like watching some other games on MLB.tv, but am always amazed at the poor game calling in comparison to what I'm used to with the Mets