5/4/21

Mack - My Updated Top 15 Players In This Draft


Good morning.

 

I started this series early in April when I broke out what I thought my top 10 picks would be in the draft. Fellow writer, Tom Brennan, asked me to expand that to 15 players so he could see who I thought would just miss the Mets pick.

 

It is time to update this.

 

Here’s my top 15… as of right now:

 

1.1 - Pittsburgh

 

RHP Jack Leiter Vanderbilt

 

(previously ranked 1.1)

 

There is no change here. Leiter leads the nation with 102 strikeouts (in 60.1 innings), but he is the 5th lowest starter with a 1.49-ERA, the 4th starter in the lowest WHIP, and tied for 3rd with seven wins. And… he is doing all this against SEC competition. No, this is not only the top pitcher in the draft, he’s the top player.

 

1.2 - Texas

 

RHP Kumar Rocker Vanderbilt

 

(previously ranked 1.2)

 

I was tempted to pick a field player here, but I can’t see a team passing on this guy at 1.2. Let’s face it, his teammate Leiter has surpassed him as the favorite for the first pick in the draft, but Rocker is right up there as an almost unhittable pitcher.

 


1.3 - Detroit

 

                    C Henry Davis Louisville

 

(previously 1.4)

 

There are only so many potentially great catchers in the draft and it is hard for any team to pass on a guy as talented as Davis is.

 

Hell, Wilson Ramos isn’t going to be playing forever and David could slot himself in as the Tigers future guy behind the plate for the end of this decade.

 

 

1.4  Boston

 

SS Jordan Lawler Dallas Jesuit HS (TX)

 

(previously 1.3)

 

First prep player on my board.

 

I didn’t drop Lawler to 1.4 because he is doing anything wrong. I just recognized the need for a catcher first.

 

Xander Bogaerts has an opt out in 2020 and what better segue would be to replace him with the best shortstop in this draft?

 

Comp: Carlos Correa.

 


1.5 - Baltimore

 

SS Marcello Mayer Eastlake HS (CA)

 

(previously 1.5)

 

Lawler gets all the press as the most talented shortstop in this draft, but Mayer isn’t that far behind him. Every

draft mocker has him in the top five picks.

 

Baltimore doesn’t have a dream shortstop in their chain and they haven’t had a great one since Manny Machado. Mayer would fit in very well here.

 


1.6  Arizona

 

                            OF Sal Frelick Boston College

 

Frelick was not in my top 10 earlier this month.

 

I’m really not in love with the little guy (5’9”), but everyone else on the planet seems to be. He hits to all areas of the field and has 70 speed in centerfield. For me, he just isn’t 6-2, 220.

 

Still, right now, he is the top outfielder and maybe the most pure hitter in this draft.

 

1.7 - Kansas City

 

SS Matt McLain UCLA

 

(previously 1.7)

 

McLain was a top 5 lock before the season started, but stumbled after he slowly came out of the gate. Now, he has his act together, hitting (through 4-30) .331 with 9- HRs.

 

He also plays third and could easily wind up back in the top 5. 

 

1.8 - Colorado

 

SS Brady House

 

(previously unranked)

 

House is another member of this elite shortstop class. He does just about everything write, including pitching.

 

Still, he projects staying at short because of his very strong arm.

 

I would love him if we needed a shortstop, but we already got one of them, right? Right?

  

1.9 - Los Angeles Angels

 

RHP Gunnar Hoglund Ole Miss

 

(previously 1.8)

 

You all know how high I am about this guy.

 

He scared the hell out of us when he was scratched from the LSU series due to tightness, but he immediately bounced back last Friday with six scoreless innings against South Carolina.

 

Please world. Let this guy fall to us. 

 

1.10 - New York Mets

 

C Adrian Del Castillo Miami

 

(previously 1.9)

 

I can’t believe Del Castillo is still on my board!

 

You know know much I want to go pitcher here, but I can’t pass on this guy.

 

As of 4-30, he’s hitting .304, with three home runs.

 

Yes, I know we have someone named Alvarez in the chain, but there are so few prime beef catchers in this game and Castillo projects out to become one of them.

 

The worse case… I have two great catchers ready to break through in 2024. Watch the phones right with that?

 

 Past that…

 

1.11 - OF Jud Fabian

 

1.12 - LHP Steven Haijar

 

1.13  - OF Colton Cowser

 

1.14 - RHP Jackson Jobe

 

1.15  - RHP Ty Madden

4 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Can we just a zero onto Leiter's 1.1 and pick him, please?

Mike Steffanos said...

I like the idea of the Mets with another good catching prospect. It's so hard to develop a solid all-around catcher

Mack Ade said...

Leiter has really blown up lately.

Details on Sunday

Tom Brennan said...

Hoglund or a catcher like del Castillo - whichever is more of a sure thing