3/28/24

SAVAGE VIEWS – Ready or Not

 

READY OR NOT

Remember me? I’m the one who predicted the Mets would not only qualify for the playoffs this season but actually get past round one.  Also, last year, around this time, I said the 2023 Mets were not a playoff team.  

When I make my forecasts, I try to take a clear eyed approach by eliminating emotion whenever possible.  However, I am a passionate fan of the Mets, Giants and Rangers and it’s hard to eliminate all biases.

To be honest, I am a bit concerned as we enter the new season.  

My forecasts are based on the core group of Mets improving on rather disappointing results in 2023.  Each of Lindor, Alonso, McNeil, Marte did not live up to expectations.  Baty, Alvarez and Vientos were all underwhelming although it’s evident that Alvarez is a budding star.  

I sensed there was a toxic clubhouse that had a negative impact on Baty, etc.  The position players underperformed in spring training as nearly all of our core players were under the Mendoza line.  Wonder if they can turn it on once the opening day bell rings.

A number of pundits are down on this team even suggesting the season will be over once we hit July and that we will be massive sellers.  Obviously, I disagree.  Although I was not in favor of signing JD Martinez and wanted Vientos to be given the opportunity to shine, I understand the reasons for the move.  The Mets lineup has the potential to be formidable.

Clearly the Braves are the class of the division with the Phillies ranked second.  In fact, some suggest that Philly will challenge the Braves for the title.  In my opinion, the Mets match up well with Philly as shown below:

Position

Mets

Philly

Edge

1B

Alonso

Harper

Even

2B

McNeil

Stott

Even

SS

Lindor

Turner

Even

3B

Baty

Bohm

Philly

C

Alvarez

Realmuto

Even

LF

Nimmo

Castellanos

Mets

CF

Bader

Rojas

Even

RF

Marte

Marsh

Mets

DH

Martinez

Schwarber

Mets

SP1

Senza

Nola

Philly

SP2

Severino

Wheeler

Philly

SP3

Quintana

Suarez

Philly

SP4

Manaea

Sanchez

Even

SP5

Houser

Turnbill

Mets

SP6

MeGill

Walker

Mets

Closer

Diaz

Alvarado

Mets

RP

Even

Bench

Philly

A lot depends on our guys remaining relatively healthy since there are few position player options available at this time in our minor league system.  On the other hand, we have quite a bit of pitching depth that few teams can match.  

It’s a good bet that we will see the likes of Peterson, Butto, Lucchesi, Scott and Lavender at some point this year with Hamil and Vasil in the wings.  Obviously, the top three starters for Philly are better than what the Mets have to offer.  

Don’t be surprised if the Mets win the season series from Philly.

Ray

March 28 2024

4 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Good job, Ray. I am only conceding first place to Atlanta. 2nd place is up for grabs between the Mets and Phils.

Mets' new theme song: RAINDROPS KEEP FALLING ON MY HEAD

Rds 900. said...

We are on the same page.

Gary Seagren said...

Tom how about we move the fences in and add a roof lol. Many opening days wife and I dressed in longjohns and hooded parka and brought a big thermos of hot chocolate and come to think about it they never checked our bag ..LOL oh how I loved the old days that and $2.75 for mess. reserved and watch Seaver beat Carlton and Cleon hit 2 dingers sweet.

Tom Brennan said...

Gary, it could be worse, as you will see in my Sat 9 AM article.

I freeze when it is cold out. Never went to cold outdoor game. Baseball should schedule 7 doubleheaders and start a week later, which this year would have been April 4. April 11, 1962 was the Mets’ first game.