9/24/26

MACK - Andy Very Green

 

 So, city officials are having meetings that are designed to work out security for the ticker tape parade that the city will be throwing Andy Green after being named the permanent (sic) manager of the New York Mets. They are also shutting down all the festivities going on at the United Nations right now and sending all the world leader’s home. 

Fifth Avenue is permanently being renamed Andy Way.

Give me a break.

Here’s my spin… but first, full disclosure.

I’ve never met Andy Green. Andy Green is not a friend of mine. I’ve never seen him manage a baseball game. I’ve even never listened to one of his ‘front office approved’ interviews with the gaggle (they’re all canned, folks. The last guys that spoke from the hip was that Pirates manager that used to smoke in the dugout, and Leo Durocher).

My spin?

One of two things happened here…

1.       Carlos Beltran was summoned to the front office, offered the job, and really turned it down.

2.       Carlos Beltran was summoned to the front office, and was told that the Mets have passed on him and he was allowed to tell the press he didn’t want to be the manager.

Either way, in my opinion, the Mets went ‘lite’ here.  

A lot of people are going to disagree with me. Most of the writers here. And Keith won’t be the only person throwing a Davey Johnson comp around. Me? I root for the New York Friggin Mets. They are located in the largest city in this country. This isn’t Kansas City. This is New Yawk, baby. I don’t care about grass-fed beef. I care about bagels and hand-held pizza.

The team is a blend of very talented veterans and promising young prospects. I want someone in charge that’s been around the block before. In fact, been around the block a lot. 

How do you spend all this money on a team and then go cheap with your skipper? Has anyone told Cohen how much his index funds have gone up this year?

The season isn’t over. There are people that are contractually prevented to call the Mets and say they are interested in talking about this position. Others could have been approached by Stearns or Cohen after getting permission from their current employer. 

There is no benefit of making a three-year deal like this unless you just want to put it to bed and throw it on the shelf. Look around for two months. Talk to others. You always can go back to this guy and name him around January. He wasn’t going anywhere. He bleeds Mets.

I’m sorry. I just don’t like it.

14 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Jules - I don't expect Green to make any changes unless they have been previously approved by either Stearns or Cohen. This is a company hire. I consider, going forward, Green being a 'yes manager'.

Tom Brennan said...

Green did have some decent experience. I hope he is not another bust. Right now, he has the lads playing playoff caliber ball.

Jules C-- The Cautious Optimist said...

difference of opinion here. It's reasonable to assume that the Mets were checking in on other possibilities from the moment they fired Mendoza; probably before then. We have no evidence that Green is a Yes Man. An example: after coming back Vientos sat on the bench until Young was hurt. He plays the hot hand (i.e. Baty); he has given more innings/games to Torrens than to Alvarez (who to his own credit has picked it up a couple of notches over the past week, increasing his trade value). He has handled the bullpen amazingly well. The players enjoy playing for him. He knows the young players from his prior job in the organization. He has been around the block. He doesn't panic. He is honest and transparent with his players. And the Mets are over .500 since he took over with limited starting pitchers, a makeshift bullpen, and roughly the same lineup that couldn't perform all year.
Seems like a lot to like if you ask me. And, from what I hear, they have been encouraging him to consider the job for several weeks now.

RVH said...

I’m very happy that Green is the new manager. He is a perfect bridge for organizational stability & has done a great job with the team since July. It also lets the Mets immediately go into offseason actively working vs searching for a manager.

Every leadership change results in organizational disruption. Always. Green has move beyond that already, & he will know the youth coming up & have some time to learn more about the trade deadline acquired MiLB talent as well.

Given Stearns is not leaving, this is an excellent outcome. I expect that Green will have - and already has - a bigger voice at stearn’s’ table. That has to be part of the deal.

And yes, Cohen wanted him - and yes, cohen landed him.

That’s all good in my book.

Mack Ade said...

So

They are going into the off-season actively looking for a new manager to replace someone with a brand new three year contract?

Gee

Cohen is made of money

Paul Articulates said...

I think that the thing that triggered Mack was the timing of the hire and the announcement. With only a couple of weeks before things opened up to a wider slate of potential managers, the Mets pulled the trigger. Clearly Green changed the dynamics by saying he was now interested - and maybe other teams started to reach out to him, too. Then the Mets were faced with a competitive hire situation versus a simple negotiation of terms.
Fear of the unknown also probably became a factor. After the last several hires, the Mets found themselves doubting their ability to discern through interviews who would handle this team and this environment well. Green had shown that he can, although he had a group that was playing loose with no pressure or expectations anymore.

Les Elkins said...

After seeing the drastic change in the Mets play since Green assumed the temporary managers position ,I don't see how anyone can question his leadership abilities. The players love playing for him and what is even more important are the results we have seen in the teams attitude and play. It is fun watching the team play again . Cohen is showing that his promise to make changes is for real and as a result the future doesn't look as bleak as it once did.

Mack Ade said...

(told ya my opinion here wouldn't be popular...)

Jules C-- The Cautious Optimist said...

Mack-- I think RVH said the opposite of what you take him to be saying. He said that the Mets can go into the offseason looking at what to do roster wise rather than having to look for a new manager.
:Paul -- I have reason to believe that the Mets have been asking Green to reconsider his position on taking the Manager role for over a month now. I don't think they experienced as an issue about potential competitors for his services.
It was an issue that needed to be worked out almost entirely with his family. He enjoyed managing more than he expected to; and especially enjoyed it with players he had known since they entered the organization. I don't think he would have made himself available as potential manager generally though he may have. What tipped the scales almost certainly was his wife seeing how much he enjoyed it and her desire to have him working at something he was genuinely enjoying. I believe he didn't want them to have to sacrifice, and they assured him it wouldn't be a sacrifice for them to have him doing what he loves. I don't think there is much by the way of mystery in any of that.

He's had plenty of experience and has a really good feel for the game itself -- that Mendoza may have had but did not reveal -- and he also is quite good at managing people, which, I know from my own experience (which has not been particularly good in that regard) is very difficult. It certainly was for me!
I don't know that there was a better choice for the Mets frankly. The play on the field is night and day difference from just a few months ago.

Paul Articulates said...

I don't disagree with all the positive comments about Green's ability to reach and push his people. However, the real test of how he gets players to respond is when the pressure is on them and the expectations to win are very high. People respond differently in that environment than one in which the only focus is playing and improving yourself. Green may well be the best choice, but only time will tell. Mack thinks they flipped the switch too fast, but I am not sure what more a prolonged search and interview cycle would provide.

Tom Brennan said...

I was hoping they’d instead bring Carlos Mendoza or Terry Collins back (no, not really)

Mack Ade said...

My diminished brain does that sometimes

Jules C-- The Cautious Optimist said...

Mack-- No dimunition in brain power that I can see

RVH said...

Jules, yes that was my point.

Mack, I get your concerns. Stability & a few month on the job plus organizational knowledge were enough. Cohen obviously wanted him too. Probably made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

It’s a good thing they are getting settled in the FO & Stearns has some more ballast to help them figure out how next year isn’t such a shite show.