Walk Master Bryce Montes de Oca Was Simply A MetsTrend Setter
“ Oh, them bases on balls!” - Frankie Frisch.
Stats in the minors through September 1 had Frankie turning in his grave:
Syracuse in their first 132 games had allowed the lowest number of hits (965) in the 20 team league, but the third-most walks (622, 5.03 walks per 9). The median team in that league had a high 4.5 walks per 9.
Binghamton in 127 games had walked 533 batters (4.4 per 9), a little above league average, while allowing the second fewest hits (981 in 1,090 innings).
Brooklyn allowed a 4th worst 617 walks in 1,088 innings (5.1 per 9), while allowing the fewest hits in the 12 team league, 898 (only 406 of those allowed in stingy Cyclones park, where opposing hitters hit .210 and were always so glad to leave).
St Lucie was 2nd worst in his (525 in 535 innings), and 3rd worst in walks at 347 (5.9 per 9 innings). No wonder their ERA was a league-worst 5.82. The entire league averaged over 5 walks per 9.
In the Florida Complex league, the entire league averaged well over 6 walks per 9. The FCL Mets were 5th worst out of 15 teams, but still walked 314 in 392 innings (7.2 per 9). They were OK in hits allowed with 375 in 392 innings, and were 6th best out of 15 with a 6.24 ERA! They did hit 54 batters in 56 games. The walks range was wide, as the worst team walked 450, while the best team walked 201.
The DSL? Walks beyond comprehension.
The entire DSL averaged almost a walk per inning.
The art of throwing strikes in the minors is clearly a lost art.
Those who master their walks (like recently acquired minor league pitcher Gary Gill Hill) increase their chances of future MLB success.
P.S. One guy whose walks have dropped lately? Jefry Yan. Watch him go.
MITCH VOIT LOOKING AHEAD - I LIKE THE LAST PART
Mets uber prospect Mitch Voit was asked, “in your development in your mind, what's kind of the next step you have to take?”
His reply: “You never stop getting bigger, stronger and faster. That's, I mean, building that foundation. But really, you know, I'm gonna come into this fall, I'm going down to Port St. Lucie. We're gonna have meetings with all of our coordinators, and we're gonna really just map out a way, what's your path to success next year? And how we will be able to make an impact at the big league level.”
Hey…
Maybe the Mets will need a new shortstop some time soon.
The current occupant, Francisco Lindor, is hitting .227, 6 points lower than than the oft-questioned Zelmo Baty, and just 7 points higher than the oft-vilified Marcus Aurelius Semien. I guess time will tell.
COHEN READY TO BOLSTER FRONT OFFICE
EXCERPT FROM NY POST:
“Well, I’ve been working with the front office, and I’ve identified some things that we can do better,” Cohen said. ” I think they have really good processes up there, but I felt there were areas of improvement that we can work on. … We’re going to add certain voices into the front office that I think be helpful. And I’m thinking towards that. And I’m looking forward to when we make those decisions.”
“It doesn’t have to be a GM. It could be other ways to support David and the front office. And I think the whole point is getting more opinions in the front office and people who are pretty, pretty good at evaluating talent, or people who’ve been in those positions before in the front office, in a high position in the front office, and help David out and help the team out as far as getting different points of view.”
AMEN TO THAT.

7 comments:
SI came out with its top 50 prospects list a month ago. No Mets on it. Telling?
The Mets and their affiliates failed miserably this season. How many of these teams are playing or are projected to play playoff ball? I rest my case.
Cohen is a weak owner. He only has one thing on his side... the money earned in his area of expertise. Baseball is not his expertise. The only thing he does well in baseball is lean against the batting case, bsing with the players
The only thing the Mets need from Cohen is his willingness to spend money on the team which he has. The Dodgers for example don't have a in your face owner yet, they are a powerhouse. The Mets do need a good GM because the current Genius makes too many mistakes which is keeping the team from staying at an competitive level year after year.
I wonder why the Mets felt in 2022 that Parada (11), Jett (14), and Blade Tidwell (52) were all better draft picks than the guy picked at #63, Jacob Misiorowski, who is deGrom’s harder throwing twin. I’d sure love to know what they were thinking. Yes, other teams passed on him too. Yes, the draft can be a crap shoot. But why draft a 5’6” baseball midget at # 14, when Misiorowski was already regularly hitting 100 at draft time? He is better now, longevity aside, than Tom Seaver ever was.
What did you think of the genius move to include Jesus Baez in the Helsley rental trade? Why not a Boston Baro instead?
Mets and their new computers prefer velo and spin rate over command.
Like I said, too many mistakes from what was supposed to be the architect of the new, powerful Mets. He overpays for players and on top of that, he gives them opt-outs which more often than not, come back to hurt the Mets.
Holmes would still be a Mets player if not for the opt out. Bichette could also leave which could be a blessing since the Mets have so many infielders almost ready for the ML.
But was he ever a 42M player with a 5M buyout?.
I hope he does leave because the way forward for the Mets is with the kids, not with overpriced contracts except for the ace that is still needed.
Post a Comment