9/27/26

SAVAGE VIEWS – MY VISIT TO CITIFIELD

HERE I GO AGAIN!   SAVAGE VIEWS


Each year I try to do a father-son trip with one of my sons. This year Ken and I decided on a four-day trip to NYC culminating with catching the Orioles playing the Mets.

DAY ONE – SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 12TH.

Flew into Laguardia from New Bern, NC. After settling in our AIRBNB, took the subway to Greenwich Village. 

First stop was Bleeker Street Pizzeria where we dined al-fresco and were able to watch a parade of women, young and older, wearing barely enough clothing to cover the essentials. 

Then onto Terra Blues Café for an evening of great music.

DAY TWO – SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13TH

An easy day, brunch followed by watching the Ken’s team, the Jets play, Then dinner at Peter Luger’s Steak House and then back to catch my Giants play the Cowboys. A very satisfying day.

DAY THREE – MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 14TH

Another busy day as we spent an afternoon at the Museum of Natural History. Had dinner at the Russian Samovar Café followed by a magic show called “Amaze”. An expensive day but worth the price.

DAY FOUR – TUESDAY, SPETEMBER 15TH

Ken insisted we need to go to Canal Street to purchase a genuine imitation Louis Vuitton handbag for his wife. After which we were able to get a table at Rubirosa Restaurant, one our favorite Italian spots in the City.  

We eventually made our way to Citifield arriving just as the gates opened. We had front row seats in Section 109 along the first base line. I was wearing my Gil Hodges jersey and a Brookly Dodger cap. 

I was expecting a visit from Steve Gelbs, however he never showed. I had emailed him earlier to let him know that I would be attending the game. I thought he might be interested in interviewing the possible last surviving witness who was actually at the game when Bobby Thomson hit the “shot heard around the world”.

However, we did get to see Peter Alonzo hit number 300. Unfortunately, our own Mr. Lindor did not. Since the subway trip to our apartment would take north of an hour, we did not stay for extra innings.

DAY FIVE – WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16TH.

Back home to New Bern, NC, totally exhausted.


Ray

September 27, 2026

2 comments:

RVH said...

Father-Son trips are wonderful. Glad your was a success. Great food, venues & company with the last vestiges of Summer in NYC.

Tom Brennan said...

Gelb had some nerve. Great trip, Ray.