9/10/26

Tom Brennan - FOR THE LOVE OF PETE! And…More Draft Results Blues?

  


OUR ACE NOLAN?  I AM SO GLAD HIS NAME IS NOT PETE MCLEAN


GUYS?  NO MORE PETE TRADES - LIKE, EVER….OK?

OK, so Pete Alonso was dumped, not traded. 

Let’s not quibble. We got Silly Putty Polanco. We are not smiling.

Pete Crow was indeed flipped. (I flipped out at the time).

Thru August 29, with lots of 2026 action left, the 2 had combined to do this:

272 games played, zero games missed.

12.1 WAR

179 Runs

68 HRs

180 RBIs

37 Steals 

NO…MORE…PETE…TRADES…EVER. 

FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!

Meanwhile, the Mets hierarchy? 

They operate on the Peter Principle.

The Peter principle states that people are promoted to their level of incompetence.”

A front office can become “affront office.” 

Just by dealing away Petes.

Losing those two was an affront to me.


If the Mets had Pete Rose, they wouldn’t have kept him.

Pete Guerrero?  See ya.

Once you sign a Pete, you keep him.

Do not rinse and re-Pete any Pete giveaways. Please.


METS TRADE EVERYONE, WIN EVERY GAME

That Stearns guy sure is SMART. 

He trades everyone, and the Mets then cannot stop hitting and winning.

Brilliant. 

I thought they were tanking, but instead they’ve turned into Sherman tanks!


MORE DRAFT BLUES?

METS PICKED WRONG LEFTY? 

SEEMS SO (SO FAR, AT LEAST)


JONATHAN SANTUCCI 

With the 46th overall pick in the 2024 draft, the Mets picked lefthander Jonathan Santucci, who Mack knows I am a fan of. I think Santucci is mostly Superb.

He is moving up progressively in the minors, but struggling a bit now in AAA. 

He tends to walk a good number of batters. 

He is now 23, and is 4-10, 4.08, with 151 Ks and 63 walks in 115 innings, and a 1.37 WHIP.

BUT…

Four slots later, the Red Sox drafted a lefthander, too….

Payton Tolle, a 6’6”, 250 lefty monster, with the 50th overall pick. 

He quickly graduated from the Red Sox minors.

Tolle, 23, is simply killing it in the big leagues this year:

9-6, 3.15, 137 innings, 159 Ks, 1.08 WHIP!  Wow! Wow! 

So far, it appears the Red Sox made the much better draft choice with Tolle, although Santucci could become increasingly superb and emerge as a big leaguer in 2027.

In fairness, a December 2023 MLB pre-draft ranking had Santucci at # 37, and Tolle at # 87, so the Mets had company in perceiving Santucci to be the better of the two.

Everyone but the Red Sox got it wrong. They “collected their Tolle.”

So far, anyway. 

Santucci may still be the best of the two in the long run. Who knows?

And…his middle name is Joseph…not Pete…thankfully.

Of course, Catholics (and perhaps Santucci was born as one…) are given confirmation names when they make their confirmations.

My father was John Joseph Aloysius Brennan.

So, I am hoping we have a Jonathan Joseph Aloysius Santucci here.

Not a John Joseph Peter Santucci.

Santucci, by the way, threw a very strong 5 innings of one run ball on Wednesday night. 

He is still Superb. Just Superb In Progress.


AMAZING

The Mets gutted their staff as they traded away 5 key pitchers and a hot hitter at the trade deadline.

Collectively those 6 departed players are doing well post-trades. 

Before the gutting trades, the Mets were an abysmal 47-64.

From August 1 through Wednesday, the post-trade Mets are 21-14.

Seemingly impossible turnaround. Amazing.

Then, on Wednesday night, Soto and Benge go 0-9, but they still win a one run nail biter thriller…15-14! 

Love those two point conversions.


GOSH-GOLLY NUMBERS

Last two seasons, Kyle Schwarber has played in 302 games, hit 100 homers…wow…but fanned 400 times. Whoa. 

Numbers unimaginable in Mickey Mantle’s day. 

400 Ks in 302 games?  

Gives real hope to the future success of Billy Amick, I’d say.

7 comments:

Mack Ade said...

I'm sorry... I just can't comment on PCA posts. Oh. Shite. I just did.

Tom Brennan said...

Mets 1B Brett Baty exited in the second inning of New York's 15-14 victory over the Marlins on Wednesday with left knee pain, according to the club.
But manager Andy Green said Baty had a smile on his face after the game.
“He thought he was going to be OK,” Green said. “We’ll see what he’s like [Thursday] and get a better feel.”

If Baty is hurt, there goes the playoff drive. The Mets are just 10 games out of the Wild card. With a healthy Baty, they are a lock to win all 16 of their remaining games.

Mack Ade said...

Tollie

Totally

Tom Brennan said...

Those who trade Pete Crow eat crow. Those who get rid of Alonso eat Garbanzo.

Mack Ade said...

K/AB

Tom

You have so many baseball obsessions... fences, bad trades... this should not be one. If a batter makes out seven out of 10 times, that's fine with me and I could give a rat's arse how he does it

Mack Ade said...

he's been a pain in my knee for years...

Tom Brennan said...

Which is why I think Billy Amick will be our Schwarber.

Most guys don’t have the huge positives to offset the huge strikeout negatives.

I believe Amick will. Billy strikes out a lot, so far, but oh my, those home runs.

I still believe Clifford could, if he could transplant Schwarber’s brain into his body.