In AAA, MJ Melendez is Fearsome…
One of the questions that fans always have to ponder is how will a AAA hitter perform when he transitions to the major leagues? The answer?
The transition very often is like we entering the atmosphere from outer space without a heat shield.
Pretty nasty. Case in point:
As of Sept. 5, the Mets had two hitters in AAA that combined to do this:
470 at bats, 36 HRs, 89 RBIs.
Danged impressive. Call them up!
But…not so fast…
You see, in the case of those two gentlemen, we handily also have data on how they performed at the major league level this year.
Combined, the duo are 32 for 170 (.188) with 5 HRs, 13 RBIs, and 68 Ks.
One of them, MJ Melendez, walked 17 times to somewhat offset his 50 Ks.
The other, Ronny Mauricio, was up 50 times, and his Mets walk total? Zero.
His HR total? One. His RBI total? Two.
Danged unimpressive.
Why?
Every pitcher they face at the major league level is better than every pitcher they’ve faced at the minor league level. Collectively, so much better.
Hence, the drastic output difference.
I think the best position outside of AAA for the M&M Boys is….Japan or Korea.
Both are what they are…AAAA. Every organization has its AAAA dudes.
THAT TRANSITION TO THE MAJORS EXPOSES EVERYTHING.
THERE IS NOWHERE TO HIDE.
THE BEST PITCHERS ON EARTH WILL CHEW YOU UP, AND SPIT YOU OUT.
STATING THE OBVIOUS
One guy who wasn’t chewed up?
Carson “Clemente” Benge.
Juan Soto on Carson Benge: "He doesn't impress me anymore. He's a superstar. He's doing things that superstars do."
Boy, is Benge’s hitting great. 19 HRs, .276. Superstar, indeed.
Another such unchewed-up guy? AJ Ewing, who slumped, then rallied HARD and had 24 steals through Thursday.
One successful transitioner?
Jefry Yan (2-1, 4.24), who in his last two outings, 4.1 IP, 2 hits, no runs, no walks, 6 Ks. No complaints there.
Another? Zach Thornton…5-5, 3.40.
LIKE JEREMIAH JACKSON, YOU CAN BE WRITTEN OFF PREMATURELY
Jeremiah Jackson hit .205 in Mets AA, and I wrote him off. He headed to Baltimore where he has nearly 500 solid MLB plate appearances.
There is a Mets minor leaguer currently who has hit weakly in recent years, then compounded it by starting this minor league season going 12 for 73. Toast, right? A write-off?
Not so fast.
From May 4 through Thursday, a 4.5 month stretch, Kevin Parada has hit a solid .280 in AA and AAA.
Is it possible that Alvarez gets dealt this off season, and Senger slips in as # 2 catcher, with Parada as # 3? I don’t want to contemplate 40 man roster issues right now.
, so let’s assume both stay Mets inventory.
Senger, who I’ve written off for inability to hit, in AAA is hitting .240, with 12 HRs and 37 RBIs, which ain’t bad at all.
What that tells me?
Don’t be so quick to write folks off.
10 comments:
More looking back crap.
There are no guarantees in this game. For every Ronny Mauricio there is a Carson Benge. You can't even start to determine the value of a major leaguer until he has 100 at-bats as consecutive starter
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it?
Honestly never know with Parada who has kept changing things at plate. Maybe he finds his formula.
I don't have a feel for Parada at all. I don't know what the Mets will do with Alvarez. They won't be advertising his availability. I do know that they beileve that the catcher is the essential brains on the field who controls how things go, and that internally there is doubt that Alvarez is up to the task. I agree with that assessment entirely. Still they will want a strong package for him.
If they decide to trade for a top of the rotation pitcher, I would not be surprised were he not part of the package.
Lindor is the puzzle. You have to believe his BEST years are behind him. On the other hand, you also have to believe that next year he is certain to outperform whomever the Mets replace him with, certainly from a power point of view. Will review options in conjunction with my Tuesday post
Those that try to replicate history and doomed to fail
Needs equal balance of increased trajectory and continued emphasis on BA
I start my position analysis and organizational rating with catcher on Friday
I have returned Parada to a RED PROSPECT; however, I have only ONE RED PROSPECT currently in the chain
As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, watching Parada was a learning experience for me. I’m not ashamed to say that I like this guy defensively. He has obviously worked very hard. Can’t tell you about the bat.
Mauricio can become another Jeremiah Jackson. I agree that he needs consecutive at bats. He has never gotten that with the Mets. Vientos has; Baty has; and Mauricio is better defensively that both of them.
Gus, Ronny’s getting another chance, which is remarkable. He has just a .302 OBP this year in AAA, in 72 games. I really have my doubts. And he cannot hit lefties. And his fielding is better but still mediocre. On the MLB level, 1 BB in 54 times up. Everything there says AAAA.
Post a Comment