DARRYL STRAWBERRY WON ROOKIE OF THE YEAR WITH 2.6 WAR
So, it seems many folks are conceding NL ROY to Cincy’s Sal Stewart.
But why? I certainly am not.
I looked at his WAR vs. Carson Benge’s WAR, just before the season ended, on Baseball Reference:
Stewart? 1.9 WAR. Kind of low, I’d say.
Gaudy Stewart HR and RBI stats, to be sure, but…just 1.9 WAR.
Those who vote consider a player’s WAR quite heavily, I believe.
Sal’s is low.
Benge? A much higher 4.2 WAR; probably a frothy 5.0 from late April on.
What a last 5 months he’s had!
Compare to Darryl p’s 2.6 WAR and smile for Benge.
JJ Wetherholt?
He was the early favorite, but he hit a sickly .210 in the second half. His 4.4 WAR is due to his excellent glove work at 2B. WAR defensively is easier to accumulate in the infield than in the “fewer chances” outfield.
Ozzie Smith was fleet afoot, and decent, hitter, who accumulated much of his 77 WAR doing utterly remarkable things with the glove at shortstop.
So, JJW wins first half ROY, for sure, but not full year ROY, IMO.
He faded hard.
Nolan McLean?
He ended up with 3.0 WAR, going 13-10, 3.16 ERA with 194 Ks in 180 innings. His WAR would probably be higher if he got more offensive support and ended up 16-7 instead.
In many years, McLean would win, but this is a TOUGH year.
I’d sadly say no.
Kind of like Jerry Koosman (6.3 WAR) being edged out by Johnny Bench (5.0 WAR) in 1968.
Kooz, man…Kooz was the victim of a crime, I tell ya.
AJ Ewing?
He is an afterthought here, but in other years, he’d be ROY. Why?
He has a remarkable 3.1 WAR in just 3/4 of a season’s worth of games.
Compare also to Darryl’s 2.6.
Zac Thornton?
He deserves big kudos with his 1.7 WAR in essentially half a season. Wow.
Lastly, Nate Lavender?
The lefty pen ace with a 0.9 WAR in just 21 relief outings? Amazing.
So, the 5 named Mets rookies combined for roughly 3.5 season-equivalents.
And combined compiled 12.9 WAR in those 3.5 seasons’ worth of play.
That averages out to a robust 3.7 WAR per “FTE season”, tremendous, yes?
2026? The best ever year for Mets rookie performance, IMO, and THAT saved the Mets 2026 season from absolute calamity.
The future is SO BRIGHT with these 5.
My choice for Mets’ team MVP?
THE ROOKIES.
Soto in an injury-damaged 2026 had 3.2 WAR, just as a comparison.
ROOKIES ROCK IN METSVILLE. SO GOOD!
NOT MISSED
Luisangel Acuna with the 2026 White Sox after dealt away for achy Luis Robert?
A substandard .229/.261.276.
He stole 18 bases…but I do not want a utility guy who puts up a slash line like that on the NY Mets. Glad they traded him.
“OVERTURNED UPON APPEAL”
We hear that term often these days…a lower court makes a nutty ruling…overturned by higher courts.
In baseball?
I read this on Facebook:

2 comments:
Benge has my unofficial vote. VOTE BENGE IN 2026!
I like Benge too
Outfield looks solid through this decade
Post a Comment