With five of the new trade acquisitions assigned to the Binghamton Rumble Ponies, there is a lot of excitement at the AA level. The team recently gave us the opportunity to speak with them about their journey and their new team.
Today’s highlight is Gabe Davis, the new #24 prospect in the Mets’ organization, coming over in the White Sox trade that sent Brazoban to Chicago. Davis is an imposing 6’9”, 234lb starting pitcher with a scouting grade of 60 on his fastball and a 55 on his hard slider. Davis was a teammate with Nolan McLean and Carson Benge on that talented Oklahoma State team but struggled with injuries in college so it took him a little longer to hit his stride.
Gabe was a fun interview because he had a lot to say and it wasn’t all the pre-packaged lines many players give. Here is the interview:
Q: You played in Birmingham (White Sox AA) for a couple months before coming here. What was working for you there and what are you working on?
A: I’m mainly just trying to work on my consistency. This first year of pro ball I am trying to get used to my routine. Understand things that are working and what aren’t and fall in love with it. It is five days between starts that I am putting my focus on, getting my body prepared to go out there and bring my best to the field every day.
Q: Can you talk about what your former teammates in college have told you about the organization and what to look forward to?
A: It has been a while since I talked to Benge and McLean. They are pretty busy up in the big leagues getting after it. I am super stoked to be here, trying to work my way up through the affiliates and hopefully get to play with them one day in the big leagues.
Q: Can you talk a little bit about your game and what you bring to this team?
A: I have power stuff. Go out there with an attack mentality and blow some doors off. Don’t leave anything on the table. My biggest thing is to throw hard in the zone and let my stuff play.
Q: How do you like the coaching staff so far?
A: They have been great. Everyone has been very nice and welcoming. It has been a very easy process with the transition. I am excited to hit the ground rolling and create some new relationships.
Q: How did you find out about the trade?
A: I got a phone call from my AA manager from the Birmingham Barons. It was late at night, around 12:30 and I was about to fall asleep and the next thing I know, my phone is blowing up so I thought, “I better check that”. Fortunately, my girl was me in town so she helped me with the process of packing everything up that next day. It was a very hectic 24 hours of trying to gather all my stuff and figure out where my flight is going to be and where I am going. Yeah, it was crazy.
Q: In college you were mostly a reliever and now in pro ball you are a starter. What has the transition been like for you?
A: It is definitely a night and day difference, especially with the mentality of one inning versus four. This first year has been about trying to get used to the routines and the five days in between starts. Everything is a little more preparation focused. Day one recovering, day two more of the same and getting some quality work in. I would say the mentality focus of it all has been the biggest transition for me. But I am super excited because it is a challenge I am ready to take on and try to give my guys five, six, seven innings of clean baseball.
Q: Have you had a second to think about how the Mets develop pitchers and what it means to you?
A: I have definitely seen what they did with Nolan in the process, especially with him two-waying in college. His stuff in college wasn’t near the stuff he has now. It is crazy to think about the development process he went through. I am really excited to learn a lot from these guys because there are a lot of pitching gurus here with the Mets. I plan to keep my mouth shut and my ears open and learn as much as I can.

4 comments:
Notice what Davis said about McLean then and McLean now.
Success takes time and sweat.
I think Gabe will succeed
It is great to see that he knows his strengths and is not afraid to use them.
Future closer?
Post a Comment