10/26/12

Draft 13 – Q and A – OF – Alex Buccilli – Coastal Carolina


 Mack - Okay everybody. We have a 'senior alert' which needs a few things explained before you draft this kid and offer him a gazillion dollars to sign. It's Coastal Carolina OF Alex Buccilli. Hey Alex, howa are things going today?

Alex - Things are going great right now! Beautiful weather of course in Myrtle Beach, which makes it that much easier to progress as a player each day! Getting geared up for my senior year.

Mack – I’m going to ask you the same question I ask everyone. I want you to go back to the day someone first put either a bat, ball, or glove in your hands and take us through the steps that got you to where you are today.

Alex - Wow, that was a long time ago. From what I can remember is being very active my whole life from playing sports, to riding my bike. The main thing that comes to mind is practicing baseball at my Dad’s indoor batting facility. Ever since I was 10, my dad owned an indoor baseball facility in the Pittsburgh area which I was at everyday working the front desk and of course practicing my game. Me being a switch hitter my whole life, made me take twice the amount of swings in a day than a normal hitter. I had to hit around 500 balls a day, or my dad wasn't satisfied, and either was I. I have always been very competitive and always tried to be the best at everything I did. I've always enjoyed practicing and I think I will give all the credit to my work ethic. Being my size, I've always battled and had to prove myself everywhere I played, but once I was given my chance, I never looked back.

Mack – I’ve asked around 40 players this question so far this year and you’re the first one to really read the question and answer it correctly. Okay, we’ve got to cover some areas so everyone reading out there understands why you are coming back for your senior year. You were a JUCO star, but transferred to Oregon for the, what, 2010 season? What happened then?

Alex - Yes, out of high school I decided to go to Frederick Community College in MD to start my college career. I had division I offers out of high school but all the schools told me I would be the 5th outfielder and wouldn't get much opportunity to play as a freshman. I decided to go the JUCO route, and I'll never regret my decision. Those were two great years of my life, met so many great people and made so many friends for life. Also, I got a chance to compete in a JUCO world series my sophomore year, and help lead the team to a 53-7 season. Once again out of JUCO I had several division I offers, all places I really liked but not places that I could see myself at. Being the competitive player I am, I wanted a chance to compete for Omaha every year. My best friend growing up was Scott McGough currently pitches in the Miami Marlins organization. He gave me a call and asked if I signed anywhere yet, I told him no. He knew my abilities and said that I should come out to Oregon and help them with their run for Omaha, so that is exactly what I did. I passed up my other offers to go play Pac 12 baseball and get the chance to get to Omaha. I really loved the school and my teammates out there, but being an east coast kid growing up, west coast baseball was completely different and I didn't think my skills were being put to the fullest out there. I decided it wasn't the place for me and asked for my release. I began to contact the schools that I talked to out of JUCO and only a few responded with good news. Coastal Carolina answered the call, I guess I sort of got lucky.

Mack: So, you head off to your last summer travel team and you set up a great senior season for the Alexandria Aces, going  .344, 10-doubles, 7-HR, 30-RBI, 39-BB,  14-K, only 16-K.

Alex - Yes, the best thing about coming into last summer was that I only had three days from my last spring game until I got to summer ball.  It was like I never stopped playing at all.  I started right where I left off.  I got a hit my first at-bat, and then later hitting a game winning grand slam on opening night, and just did my thing for the rest of the summer.  If you look at any statistics from any season I ever played in, you can notice my walk to strikeout ratio.  My approach and routine is set out to help hit the ball hard every single time, and working counts.  Working the count and looking for certain pitches brings my walks numbers up, and being relentless at the dish helps with my minimal strikeout numbers.  I take pride in that.

Mack – Okay, Alex, normally I would ask a few more questions, but I think you have covered your career very well up to today. Here’s your chance to talk directly out there to the scouts that come to this site every day to read about the player’s names that are going to cross their desk in the next month. Tell them why they should make a trip to see you play and, also, draft you in the 2013 draft.

Alex - I feel that I should get the opportunity to play at the professional level for many reasons. I play the game with passion and ambition, that I've been told that are off the charts. I know the game from front to back and worked so hard every day to get to this point. I'm not the biggest kid in the world, nor lighting fast, but I've been told from pro scouts before that I play like I'm 6'2 and run the bases like a 6.4 runner. Any coach that has ever taken a chance on me, didn't regret it. All I need is that one team to give me that chance like I've gotten before, and I will guarantee their decision will be the right one.


No comments: