12/5/21

PRESS RELEASE: METS STATEMENTS ON GIL HODGES HALL OF FAME ELECTION

 


Mets Owner, Chairman & CEO Steve Cohen

"The Mets are overjoyed that Gil Hodges will take his rightful place into the Baseball Hall of Fame. We thank the Golden Days Era Committee for recognizing Gil's achievements as a player and as a man who delivered the Mets first World Series Championship in 1969.  Many agree that the Miracle Mets' accomplishment would not have happened without his leadership, guidance, dignity and grace. Congratulations to his wife Joan, son Gil Jr., and daughters Irene and Cindy, who we are thrilled will be able to cherish and celebrate his selection."

 

Irene Hodges – Gil's daughter

"I was here with my mom when the Hall of Fame called…she just pounded her heart and said I'm so happy for Gil. My dad was a great manager and a great player but above all else he was a great Dad."

 

Gil Hodges Jr. – Gil's son

"I'm thrilled for my mother. She's 95 now and the next vote would not have been for five years. I'm glad she can enjoy this day and she's part of it."

 

Jerry Koosman

"He was a gentleman. He commanded respect. He knew the game inside out. He was always three steps ahead of the other manager, I can't tell you how elated I am."

 

Ed Kranepool

"The good guys finally won. I never met a more outstanding gentleman than Gil Hodges. He treated us all the same way and with respect. I'm thrilled beyond words."

 

Cleon Jones

"There are so many reasons why Gil Hodges should be in the Hall of Fame. He was a great player, a great manager and what he did for Jackie Robinson speaks to the character of the man. It was an honor for me to play for him."

 

Ron Swoboda

"Long-overdue…So right, I can't tell you how overjoyed I am. He was a great man."

 

Art Shamsky

"My first reaction is I'm elated for the Hodges family. They had so many ups and downs through the years. I'm glad that Joan is still here to enjoy this day. It's well deserved."

 

Carl Erskine – Dodgers teammate

"I played with Gil for 12 seasons. He was not the captain, but a quiet strong leader. He kept the infield together. He had a sixth sense when it came to baseball."

 

 

3 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

So glad for the great Gil Hodges.

Well deserved. Keith next?

Gary Seagren said...

Well it took long enough. With all the questionable characters in HOF a more quality player and person than Gil you couldn't find. Back in the day I lived in Brooklyn and he lived around the corner from me and you would see him and his wife pushing the baby carriage down to Shore road which is now near the Verrizano Bridge and a very different time that I know we all long for when fans felt closer to players because you could relate to them not the millionares of today very sad indeed.

Tom Brennan said...

Gary, great perspective. Social media sure doesn't help nor does the endless desire for media to dig up something negative on guys.