8/18/26

Tom Brennan - Another Gut Punch; Walksville

OUCH, THAT GUT PUNCH HURT!


This past month at the trade deadline?

It brought in a bunch of good players for the Mets minor league system.

I wondered immediately about how high up in the ranking of the 30 teams, prospects-wise, that would now place the Mets.

Gut Punch: 

I felt almost certain the farm system would now rank in the top 10. 

But MLB just re-ranked the farm systems. 

The Mets? Number friggin’ 18.

The Dodgers? Number one, of course.

See for yourself: 

MLB RE-RANKING OF TEAMS RE: PROSPECTS

It seems pretty hopeless, even though they say hope does spring eternal.

(Who are “they”, anyway?)

If the Mets hadn’t acquired all those prospects at the deadline, I suspect they would have been team-ranked at # 33, even though it is only a 30 team sport. 

They were that bad, before the massive blood infusion in late July-ish.


METS WERE UNWATCHABLE, NOW UNSTOPPABLE 

2-1 win. Ten wins in 13 games??  HOT!

Gut the pen, and Terminator 2 shows up.

Who woulda thunk that Jefry Yan and Nate Lavender would have stepped into the Raley/Minter lefty pen shoes by combining to throw 10.1 innings of 5 hit, one run ball with 12 Ks? NOT unwatchable, those two.

And Kodai the Pen Guy. Five relief innings of DOMINANCE. 

3 for 3 in saves, no runs, 7 Ks.

Daniel Duarte? Simply sensational out of the Mets pen.

20.1 IP, 0.89, 2 saves this year? WOW.

He had a 4.75 ERA this year in AAA. Wearing Cinderella slippers in Queens.

And two outfield laser assists by Benge in inning one, and another one by Ewing in inning two yesterday. WHAT??

They’ve gone from Unwatchable to Unbearable to Unbelievable, just like that.


ANOTHER DSL DAY IN WALKSVILLE

The DSL Blue pitchers on Monday walked 13 opposing batters in the first 6 innings of a 7 inning game.  Making it 393 walks given up in 416 innings.

Which sounds terrible. 

But 4 other DSL teams’ pitchers have actually walked more than a hombre per inning. And the DSL season is about to end. 

Roughly 15 teams have walked more than 8 per 9 innings.

So, never look at a DSL Mets hitter with a healthy OBP and immediately be impressed. It could be a walk-induced mirage. 

28 of the league’s 51 teams have OBPs of .400 or better, and the worst team (Mets Orange) has a .360 OBP. Mets Blue? .396.

Yankees’ two teams? .435 and .416 OBPs. Always somehow superior.

Lastly, the Yanks’ two DSL teams have 99 HRs, while the Mets teams have 47.

Unreal. What to do? Easy…

Move the DSL Mets fences in. And get Mets hitters eyeglasses and weights.

5 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Alice Cooper had these lyrics:

I′m 18 and I like it, Yes, I like it, Oh, I like it, love it, Like it, love it, 18, 18, 18, 18 and I like it

18th in team prospects? I DO NOT like it or love it.

TexasGusCC said...

Hopefully, Stafura is a good acquisition. The Rays trade was good, the Brazoban trade got them Gabe Davis, the Raley trade sucked, the Minter trade was ok, and the Holmes trade was very good.

As we learn that PCA became a 30/30 player again, i dont see how the Mets could have gotten this kind of player with what they were selling.

Tom Brennan said...

On Raley trade, I don’t know how good Luke Gabrysh (Mets # 29 prospect) might become, but he has fanned 15 in his first 8 Brooklyn innings. Spikerman seems like filler.
Stafura is a blazer with power. Hopefully, he does well. Odd, though, in a “great hitters park” like Brooklyn, his pre-trade HR surge just stopped. He’s had 5 doubles but no homers.

TexasGusCC said...

Look where Stafura is playing…

Meanwhile, I subscribed to Lance Brodkowski ans he has explained how the Rays eliminated the windup on Peralta and put him exclusively from the stretch like the Brewers had him last year. This has helped his extension which was a problem in Queens.

Paul Articulates said...

The Mets minor league system has ruined several prospects, some of whom were just released and others who were traded under value. Until that gets fixed, their system will always be rated lower than the sum of their prospects.