9/5/26

Tom Brennan - A Look Back at 2025 Tyler Rogers, Greg Soto, Ryan Helsley Trades

 

Major Leaguers Who Came to Queens…
…and Pitched Like 10 Year Olds…
…and Then Left and Went Back to Normal

The Mets thought they were making superb mid-season bullpen moves at the 2025 trade deadline for Messrs. Helsley, Soto (Greg), and Rogers.

I liked them myself.

Those moves did not work out, and that is a drastic understatement.

The trio allowed 45 total runs in 76 combined innings, about 20-25 more runs than David Stearns thought they’d allow in that many innings.

Helsley (0-3, 7.20) repeatedly choked, allowing a run per inning.

Soto (1-3, 4.50) was very hittable, with a .308 BAA.

Rogers had a 2.30 ERA and a 1.10 WHIP, but even he was 0-3.

The trio was also 0 for 5 in save opportunities.

My nuns loved report cards, and they were objective graders. 

Combined, those 3 got an F from the Sisters of No Mercy.

I mean, 1-9, and 0-5 in saves? What the heck, guys?

Stearns probably said, “WTF?”

Groping for an answer, in looking back, I have just a one-word answer:

 

QUEENS

You see: 

Helsley pre-trade in 2025 had a respectable 3.00 ERA, and was 3-1 with 21 of 26 in saves.

Soto pre-trade was not as good, at 0-2, 3.96, but brought in with the hope that he’d pitch better in a pitcher-friendly Queens park.

Rogers, pre-trade in 2025, was a superb 4-3, 1.80.

Prior to the trades, my favorite ruler-wielding nun graded them B+. 

At the risk of getting whacked with a ruler, I’d have said A-.

Then…naturally…a post-trade disaster.

This season? All three moved on.

Helsley with the Orioles was 0-4, 4.15, but was a fine 8 of 9 in saves before going on the IL with dreaded elbow discomfort.

Through Sept. 2, as I wrote this, the other two had done this:

Soto - Pittsburgh, 6-4, 3.17 with 14 saves and a .190 BAA.

Rogers - 2-2, 1.90 ERA in 64 outings.

This year, the 3 ex-Mets combined get a B+, Sister Mary Smackem said. 

I’d have said A-. Sister saw my point and didn’t whack me.

So, you, the reader, must answer two questions:

1) What caused the collective choke job by this Mets trio in late 2025?

2) What can be done to avoid future total choke jobs like this?


Go ahead. Answer.

Sister Smackem left her rulers home, so Liam Neeson says you are safe to comment.



13 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Pen purchases. You win some, you lose three

Tom Brennan said...

And they missed the playoffs in 2025 by one game. Can’t blame Stearns on that one. Soto and Helsley were awful.

Anonymous said...

Hated the Rogers trade passionately. Did then, do now. Butto, Gilbert and Tidwell for two months of that guy was HORRIBLE!

The other two I am less critical of, but that one and the Mullins trade were pure stupidity and certainly reckless with the prospect capital, as I’ve accuses Stearns of being many times.

TexasGusCC said...

That was me on the previous comment about Stearns being reckless with the prospect capital.

And may I add, if I were Cohen, I would hire him again, but I’d reel in the purse strings a little. He has wasted an awful lot of money too.

Tom Brennan said...

Mullins was only brought in because Cameron Maybin had retired. LOL. That was a STEEP price for Rogers who, unlike Weaver, did not have the extra year of control.

Tom Brennan said...

I still wonder who wanted Alonso gone, Cohen, Stearns, or both? I had concerns as to Alonso aging over a 5 year deal, but if not kept, the Mets needed a healthy alternative. Polanco was a disaster of a signing.

TexasGusCC said...

Polanco sounded as good logic, but… the Alonso thing is a Stearns thought as we see his previous ways of handling first base. I also worried about him falling off a cliff power wise, but I didn’t think the glove was that terrible; just the arm.

Is anyone else having issues with the commenting? I need to log in on every comment and in the past I never had to even think about that. Two days ago, a comment i put on Paul’s article completely disappeared without reason.

Mack Ade said...

Alonzo

MAGA politics

Mack Ade said...

Comment wise-

Blogger issue

Didn't work at all yesterday

Working today with glitches

Should get better

TexasGusCC said...

Thank you for the feed back Mack.

You really think MAGA politics got Alonzo off the team? I hope they aren’t so vain. Who really believes politicians care about them? It’s like believing the Mets care about them!

Mack Ade said...

I don't THINK Maga politics made the Mets run off Alonso, McNeil, and Nimmo...

Mack Ade said...

Steve must have read what I said about Tong yesterday

Paul Articulates said...

Ryan Helsley is 0--4 with a 4+ ERA and 1.4 WHIP with Baltimore. Sometimes you buy a guy based on prior stats and hit it just before his decline. That's what happened here. Soto on the other hand has been good for Pittsburgh this year. He had some very good outings with the Mets, but his very bad outings skewed his statistics.