10/19/18

Tom Brennnan - METICULOUS MEANDERINGS



Tom Brennan - Meticulous Meanderings


I don’t know about the “meticulous” part, even though it has MET in it, but I thought I’d meander a bit.



BEST PLACES TO WORK:

You’ve probably seen the articles about Best Places to Work – maybe it is Amazon, or Chase, or wherever. Working for Harvey Weinstein not so much.

The Mets organization is not a “Best Place to Work.”  GM candidates, however, seem to be saying, “Thanks, but I prefer it right here in Cleveland for its quality of life attributes” kind of answers.

Most hitters who come here as free agents regress or get hurt.

The team has perfected its home field DIS-advantage like no other major league team.

So, Messrs. Wilpon, there is the challenge – make this a best place to work.  How?  I’ll leave that up to you.




HEIGHT AND WEIGHT:

I always wondered why, if you look up a team’s roster, the list includes not only the manager’s, hitting coach’s, and pitching coach’s age, but also their height and weight.  Nothing is more satisfying to a stats aficionado than to know a pitching coach’s height and weight.

Personally, I am glad to know that hitting coach Joel Fuentes is 5'11", 169, and exhilarated to know he is a switch hitter and throws right handed. Are you, too?



STILL HERE, BUT…

The other guy in the Syndergaard deal, Wuilmer Becerra, seemed quite promising for a while, but the 18 year old at the time of the Dickey deal is now 24, and has had 3 weak injury-impacted seasons, yet, to my knowledge is still in the organization.

Over the past 3 seasons, the 6’3”, 240 dude has had 913 at bats, 41 doubles, just 5 homers, a .277 average (just .264 over 2017 and 2018), and just 59 walks but 232 Ks, and has not made it past High A ball.

After solid seasons in 2014 and 2015, I thought he might be the Mets’ right fielder by now.  Now, it seems iffy as to whether he will be able to climb past A ball at all.  Injuries suck.



TIM TEBOW

 Some wonder if he will play in 2019.  I say that he hit well over his last his last 26 AA games in year 2 (31 for 91, .340), and other than the guys in the big leagues, who in the outfield in the Mets minors is giving him a run for his money?  He is clearly close to the top of the Mets’ outfield prospects in the higher minors echelons, so my vote is he’ll play in 2019 – including in Queens at some point.

Impressive is that he cut 2017’s 10 errors down to just a single error in 2018.  Gold Glove?  Only if he gold plates one himself, but 1 error is 1 error, unless I am in error here.

Time for me to meander elsewhere.  Have a good day, folks.

9 comments:

Rustyjr said...

Yeah I was wrong on Becerra - I thought he was going to be the true diamond in the Dickey trade .. he’s still in the oraganization but he’s never going to crack the big leagues in my opinion

nickel7168 said...

actually, he is a free agent

Tom Brennan said...

nickel7168, I wish Becerra well, then. However, his past two seasons are not at all promising in that regard unless he has a fuller healing.

Reese Kaplan said...

Big guys without power or speed don't tend to have long careers.

Tom Brennan said...

Becerra seemed to have speed but when the injury came in 2016, the power left.

bill metsiac said...

I remember reading a comment from Sandy a few years ago, in which he said that Wuilmer was the ESSENTIAL part of the deal. He added that he told the Jays that, if Wuilmer wasn't included, the deal was OFF!

So, Wuilmer, the essential, never has gotten past A ball. Travis, the centerpiece, has not risen past mediocrity. And the guy who many regarded as the "throw in", Thor, is the one with "star" written on his forehead.

Go figure. 😉

Tom Brennan said...

Better to be lucky than good, Bill

bill metsiac said...

Always! But I still prefer both .😝

Tom Brennan said...

Do Mets fans get both, Bill? I hope we do in 2019.