12/19/23

SAVAGE VIEWS – SITTING BY MY PHONE

 

Remember me? I’m the guy who predicted that not only will the Mets be contenders in ’24 but will enjoy a long playoff run.  

Of course, my forecast was based on the team adding two top rotation starters and shoring up the pen. 

While we wait and wonder whether Yamamoto will land in our Christmas stocking, there’s a major concern whether a 5% owner by the name of Wilpon is behind the scenes developing strategy.  

Each day I follow Mack’s Mets looking for positive news.  So far, I’m disappointed – maybe there will be a surprise this Christmas season

If Yamamoto does sign elsewhere, it will be interesting to see whether we go after a top-of-the-line startersvia trade or free agent signing.  

I’d be surprised if Blake Snell is brought on board.  However, there are some free agents worth considering if we decide to follow that road.  Going after the likes of Dylan Cease or Corbin Burnes will require surrendering top prospects. 

I’m not sure that is the path worth taking.  I’m a huge fan of developing and promoting prospects.  Eventually, we may have a surplus of highly rated prospects at several positions.  For example, players such as Parada and Acuna may turn out to be superfluous.  At some point we will be able to emulate the Dodgers and acquire talent to fill in gaps.

The team was criticized for signing Verlander and Scherzer.  As it turns out, they were excellent signings since we were able to pawn them off and substantially upgrade the farm system.  

In the future I never want to see my team subject to the luxury tax.  The best way to achieve this goal is to continue to draft well and develop those players into solid major league talent.  

Look at what the Dodgers are doing.  They acquired Tyler Glasgow from the Rays without surrendering any of their top ten prospects.  Wonder why we were not in the mix for Tyler.

Although I am generally not in favor of signing players to long-term expensive contracts, Yamamoto may be the exception to the rule.  He is young and apparently very talented.  His presence would upgrade any rotation.  

On the other hand, the Ohtani signing is simply absurd.   No player is worth that much.  It will lead to other stars demanding outrageous contracts.  

Take Alonso as an example.  A reasonable contract would be in the neighborhood of 5 years for $175mm.  Unfortunately, he probably will be asking for a lot more.  I’d rather wait until next year and make an attempt at Soto.

I’m upset at the current trend which allows rich teams to exceed the luxury tax threshold without a second thought.  I’m concerned that teams in outlier markets will continue to fail to compete financially to retain or acquire top talent.  

Smaller market teams such as the Rays, Pirates, Brewers will continue to serve as feeder systems, as they sell off good players too expensive to retain.  

The current MLB system is not sustainable.  I would like to see MLB do what other pro leagues are doing and institute a salary cap.

This is my final column as a 82 year old as I will reach the ripe old age of 83 later this week.

Ray

December 19, 2023

12 comments:

TexasGusCC said...

Happy birthday Ray, mine is next week and I’m 17 years behind you. If you want to give a first baseman more money per year than you gave an All-MLB shortstop, then wow…….. I would not extend Alonso at a higher rate than Freeman who costs $27MM per year and about $6MM of that is deferred. You can’t get under the tax overpaying all the time. At $35MM per year, I need to see MVP-ish numbers.

Too, Yamamoto is signing with the Mets next week.

Anonymous said...

This is Tom. Happybirthday, Ray, you need a gift wrapped Yamamoto to fully celebrate. I’m with Gus on Pete.

The Scherzer and Verlander deals were high risk gambits. The Mets are paying huge $$ for their salaries post-trade. I hope we get our money’s worth. Texas is stuck with a broken down Jake and Scherzer.

Mack Ade said...

Happy birthday Ray. You need to stick around so I'm not the oldest contributor to this site

As for 2024, I will reserve comment on this team until the trading period is over

So far, the current 2024 Mets are not contenders

Rds 900. said...

Agree with you Mack.

Paul Articulates said...

Happy Birthday Ray! I hope that there will be good news after a long period of silence in this offseason. I still trust the leadership of the Mets to be doing the right things, even if I can't see them. Once that pays off, you will come back to write a celebratory column!

Rds 900. said...

Hallelujah, yet to come.

Anonymous said...

Giolito,Rosario,Bader how do they sound?

Amazin Z said...

Happy BDay Ray. Good article. I hope you get a BDay gift of a Yamamato signing followed up by a Christmas gift of a Montgomery or a Imanaga signing.

Tom Brennan said...

I think Cohen would be concerned with a concentration of risk. If the Mets signed both Imanaga and Yamamoto, they'd have 3 Japanese starters. If that went bad, it could result in undue negative jeering of the fans ("what is WRONG with these Mets?") . So, I think we'll only see perhaps one of them.

Rds 900. said...

The next two weeks should be revealing.

Reese Kaplan said...

Happy birthday for sure. I feel like a kid at "just" 63 years of age.

Denis S. said...

Predicting a birthday Yamamoto three days hence.

If the Mets miss on him, they go the one- to two-year route with volume to piece a team together and hope for the Milwaukee success. The vision is building around young talent - not aging veterans, likely to decline. Hedge fund style. We take the old guard for their stability but the rockets are young companies with something to prove. Those veterans are the supplements on one- to three-year deals. Yamamoto and Soto are the exceptions. Whatever it takes - not my money. I will take Soto over Alonso at whatever price and I think if we sign Yamamoto, we go Soto. If we miss, we try and keep Alonso and may go six years there, knowing what will happen - the hedge in the Hedge fund.

I have no sympathy for owners. They built the system. Yet they are happily cashing those revenue sharing streams. They are guaranteed to get $68M and the estimates are $110M. Shows you who is banking the cash and who is extending (ie, San Diego for their owner who wanted to win before he passed this year).

It's interesting to consider the NY contenders for him. Yankees offer more short-term gain for a year (Soto potentially leaving). Mets may offer more long-term vision with a trio of Senga/Yamamoto/Soto - obviously, ifs and buts are real here. But we know Cohen is likely good for it.

Now, go back to working on your golf game and enjoying the Rangers (since neither of us is enjoying our NFL teams). Hope last two games say Igor is back.