1/21/24

Tom Brennan - When is a 40 Really a 50

DISCERNING BASEBALL’S MYSTERIES.... 

ONLY CARNAC KNOWS.

From Mack’s nice and promising list of future Mets prospects this morning, one of them that I wanted to comment on is rated on the Mets Top 30 prospects list.

They have him as 50 hit, 45 power, 65 running, 40 arm, and 50 field.

Looking at those 5 “tool numbers”, one might think his composite score would be 50. After all, they total 250, and 250 divided by 5 is 50, at least that’s what my 3rd grade nun used to tell me.

But his composite rating is not 50…nor is it 45…no, it’s just a 40.

Sometimes I scratch my head. I’m going with 50 myself. I don’t want my old nun to show up and crack me on my knuckles with a ruler for not being able to do simple division.

The .306 hitter with the 40 composite rating, named Nick Morabito, has a chance to right that wrong and show he should be an overall future 50, not 40, rated player, starting in 2024.

In October, I compiled my "Productive Mets Prospective Top 35".  I had Nick ranked 10th.  I'm sticking with that.

 


11 comments:

That Adam Smith said...

From all I’ve heard, Morabito is an advance hitter who can really fly, and maybe some more power in the tank than he’s shown (.306 with 21 SB but just 2 HR in 200 AB’s last season.) He’ll only turn 21 this season, so there’s definitely time for him to show that. Excited to see him build this year on his excellent first full pro season in ‘23.

Remember1969 said...

Yes, it is strange to see an overall 40 when the only thing that low is his arm. A less than average outfield (or 2b) arm won't hold a guy up that can hit, run, and field well.

Woodrow said...

Power is the thing in 2020s baseball.

Tom Brennan said...

Let’s see if power shows up for Nick in 2024

Rds 900. said...

I believe Nick is going to be a really good player.

Anonymous said...

And Vientos toL

Tom Brennan said...

I am still a Vientos fan. They seem to have faith in him to not run out and sign a DH. f he produces in 2024, he’ll be young, good, and cheap. A real trifecta.

Anonymous said...

Vientos and Baty,the Daily Double?

Lou said...

Give Vientos his shot and 230-240/20/65 pretty,pretty good.

Tom Brennan said...

Lou, 500 at bat from Mark, I want 25 dingers

Anonymous said...

LMO but then I remember long shots do come in!