7/14/21

Mack - 2021 Draft Overall & Last Day Thoughts


 Another draft year has come and gone and though I will have a better idea how this went down once I see the bonus amounts to each player, I  promised you my thoughts when  this  ended so here goes 


1. Day 3 was what all Day 3's look like the next day. A lot of position fillers, seniors you can offer 10k and balance your numbers, and a couple you can rub your beard and wonder if there is a degree or Piazza on this list. Could be but a long shot at best. 


2.   I was thrilled when we picked Texas RHP Kolby Kubichek near the end of the draft. He was the Texas Saturday night starter right after Ty Madden. I assume there will be signing problems. He really could become a solid backend starter for us someday


4. Did you check out the stats this year from UNLV outfielder, Jack-Thomas Wold? Where the hell has this guy been hiding? I had no paper on this guy and why was he still around when the Mets picked in the 12th round? 


5. Speaking of stats, Day 3 brought some impressive batting averages (and low K/AB%) from some of the bats drafted and more high velo pitchers.  Tommy T, the head of the Mets draft team said this was the deepest amount if talent he has ever seen in a Mets draft.  


6. He also said that NONE of the top 10 picks were under slots. That I found surprising, especially the 2nd out Zeigler pick. Our GM said we wouldn't be afraid of going over the luxury tax levels but I didn't think he meant in the draft bonus area. 


7. Overall, balance draft of choosing pitchers and field players. Expected at least one more catcher but I am sure we will sign at least one as an UDFA. Emphasis seems to be on velo for pitchers and 'because he gets on base' for bats.


8. I think we get at leaet three future major league starters in Rocker, Vasil, and Kubichek. I also expect a fair amount of these power pitchers to wind up in future pens.


9. I especially liked the adding of 1B JT Schwartz. He, at least, will develop into a great AAAA first baseman in our AAA affiliate and could move Alonso to DH if Dom turns into a full day, defensive outfielder.


10,  Overall, I am not as giddy as Tommy T, but my hopes (prayers) are that he's right and I'm wrong. For now, a robust C+.





 

2 comments:

TexasGusCC said...

Sorry Mack, but if you feel the Mets “got the best player in the draft”, as you named Rocker, you can’t give a C+. But, your opinion.

I would say at least a B+, hoping for better.

Jon Messinger said...

Texas Gus CC: I agree with you. Any year, with the good fortune of getting a potential top of the rotation started as the 1st pick alone, I'd call it a solid B+. Rocker was the one guy I thought and hoped might fall to them. If Tommy T is right, the final grade could go a lot higher. Mack, you're a tough grader... or it could be we're just too easy.