7/30/21

SAVAGE VIEWS – Changes to Improve the Game, or not

 


July 29, 2021

It’s now commonplace for games to run well past three hours.  It’s time to check on ways to speed up games.  This article will attempt to reveal my attitudes on what I would like see happen going forward.

Institute a 20 second rule

Start the 20 second clock the moment the pitcher receives the ball.  Time to cut out the cat and mouse games currently being played between pitcher and batter.  Failure to deliver the ball within that time frame will result in an automatic ball.  Batter steps out while the pitch is being delivered would result in an automatic strike.

No Universal DH

I am a fan of NL baseball.  Managers are actually forced to strategize.  Top of the sixth, up by one run and pitcher up with runners on first and third.  Does he bat or will a PH be sent up.  As a Mets fan, I enjoy watching deGrom take his shots at bat.  There have been some wonderful hitting pitchers over the years ranging from Don Newcombe to Tony Cloninger, Bob Gibson and a bunch of others.  I understand our newest Met, Kumar Rocker, can handle the bat.  I’m ok with two different leagues and two sets of rules.

Nine Inning Doubleheaders

It made sense to institute seven inning double headers for 2021.  The change was instituted as a means of dealing with the pandemic.  Next year should hopefully be a return to normal.  It’s time to put the aberration of 2021 behind us and play the game the way it was meant to be played.  Nine innings per game.  Not a perfect example, but this past weekend, the Yankees rallied in the eighth inning to beat the Sox and the Sox returned the favor the next day.  I can live with the second game of a doubleheader limited to seven innings.

Eliminate the Ghost Runner in Extra Innings

I’m not a fan of the cheap theatrics of placing a runner on second during extra innings.  While I love to see the time of games shortened, teams should earn their runs. 

Infielders Play In

I’m tired of seeing batters line a ball to the outfield only to have the ball fielded in short right field.  Time to require infielders to play no further back than the edge of the infield.

Robotic Umpire – Balls and Strikes

I know, I know we all bitch about the inconsistency of umpires calling balls and strikes.  Some umpires are terrific and other don’t seem to have a clue.  Better training is probably needed and the Angel Hernandez’s of the fraternity need to be weeded out.  We also have witnessed that even robotic calls are not infallible.  I kind of like the human element.

I love the game of baseball and am open to suggestions to improve the game.  For example, in an era when every other pitcher is tossing 95+ maybe moving the mound back a foot would level the playing field a bit.

I’m not resistant to change but not every change is a change for the better. 

.

Ray

4 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

I am OK with tuner in extra innings on first base. Pitchers are disintegrating, they will collapse if long extra inning games return.

Why 7 inning doubleheader games. What about 8 innings? A little less burden, no more ridiculously short games.

I like the DH - Walker, Jake, Stroman and quite possibly Peterson got hurt swinging this year. Pitchers for whatever reason are more fragile now. Leave the hitting to Ohtani.

Not only stay in the infield...keep two guys on either infield side until the pitch is thrown. I do not buy the idea that guys can just fo the other way. I don't want hitters to have to swing unnaturally to get hits thru holes. Let them hit, and what falls in, falls in naturally. Not contrived.

Hobie said...

I reluctantly favor the DH. It has to be the same game AL & NL and the junior circuit is not giving up the DH. No choice.

I like double-headers period. If the 7 inning variety are the way to get (more of) them... fine.

Extras with a man in scoring position? Fine with that too (it's better than penalty kicks).

Fielders can play anywhere the want--a 7-man pyramid at 2B for all i care. Hitters should take advantage of obvious openings.

No clock in baseball, jeez.

Tom Brennan said...

Hey, Hobie, hope all is well. I am putting on a shift against you. I know an extreme pull hitter when I see one.

Hobie said...

Tom-

I am (or pretend to be) old enough to rmember when there were Bas Men, (Out) Fielders and a Short Stop who played anywhere depending on the situation. That's why he's No. 6 and not 5.