10/3/26

SAVAGE VIEWS – 75 YEARS AGO TODAY

SAVAGE VIEWS – 75 YEARS AGO TODAY


Wednesday, October 3rd, 1951 was a dim, damp and overcast fall day with temperatures ranging from the high 50s to low 60s. The Brooklyn Dodgers would face the New York Giants with the winner facing the NY Yankees in the World Series. The Dodgers, behind Clem Labine and Rube Walker, had forced this playoff game.  

The Giants won game one of the playoff series with Ralph Branca taking the loss. Bobby Thomson had the deciding home run against Branca to win the game for the Giants.

The fact that there was even playoff was due to an epic collapse of the Dodgers who held a 13 ½ game lead as of August 11th.  How was it possible for a Dodgers team that had five future Hall of Famers in Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Reese, Duke Snyder, Roy Campanella and Gil Hodges plus Carl Furillo who many believe was worthy of Hall of Fame consideration. Andy Pafko had over 90 RBIS while Billy Cox was a great glove at third to fill out the starting nine. 

The rotation was solid with Preacher Roe, Don Newcombe, Carl Erskine, Ralph Branca and Clem Labine. The Giants had a rookie outfielder named Willie Mays who wound up having a sterling career. As a 20-year-old rookie he batted .274 with 20 homers and 68 RBIs. Won rookie of the year.

I was a ten-year-old six grade student at St. Stanislaus Kostka school in Greenpoint. I decided to skip school that day to attend the playoff game. I don’t remember if my parents had agreed to allow me to play hooky or if I made the decision on my own. I took a bus to Ebbets Field only to find out the game was to be played at the Polo Grounds. I was able to take a subway train to the Bronx in time for the game. 

Unfortunately, I was short of the $1.25 needed to purchase a grandstand ticket. I needed a quarter and a father with a son had pity on me and gave me the necessary amount. I was one of 34,320 in attendance.

Heading into the ninth inning, the Dodgers held a comfortable 4-1 lead behind Don Newcombe. The first three of four Giants reached base against Newk forcing a pitching change. Charlie Dressen decided to bring in Branca to face Thomson. It was a curious decision given that Thomson owned Branca. I remember thinking to myself, “Anybody but Branca, Anybody but Branca”. 

The results were historic as Bobby launched a high fly ball into the left field stands. It became known as “the shot heard round the world”. And hearing Russ Hodges screaming “The Giants win the pennant, The Giants win the pennant” made the afternoon worse. Someone near me was listening to the game on the radio.

What’s ironic about this event is that both Branca and Thomson were able to capitalize on the historic moment and post-careers earned significant amounts through trade shows and endorsements.

Now that I am 85 years old, I wonder if there are any other survivors who were actually at this historic game.

Ray

October 3, 2026


4 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Sorry

I was four.

Mom took me to Liberty Avenue for a movie.

Or was it Chinese food?

Mack Ade said...

A Ray post without mentioning Alvarez

Refreshing

Tom Brennan said...

I missed it. I was born in 1953. That’s my excuse, sticking to it!

Great game, unless you were a Dodgers fan.

You might well be the last attendee standing.

They say his HR went 315-320 feet. An out at Citi Field. I want 255 feet down the line in Citi.

Mack Ade said...

you want 255 feet down your backyard line