COMING UP BIG - IN MILWAUKEE
THE RICH ALWAYS GET RICHER
The Milwaukee Brewers won 103 games.
I WOULD NOT ONLY CALL THAT RICH, I WOULD CALL THAT FILTHY RICH!
I googled who had the most minor league homers in 2026.
Yep, you nailed it, it was a Brewer prospect.
3B Andrew Fischer, drafted 20th overall in 2025, had an incredible 50 homers and 124 RBIs in just 131 games!
He also walked 103 times…and fanned an amazing 193 times.
Wow. Video game numbers.
And, right now…Fischer is only listed as the Brewers’ # 5 prospect!
Now THAT’S RICH. FILTHY RICH.
Am I exaggerating? Kiley McDaniel wrote this for ESPN in late August:
“The Brewers are operating at a high level right now: they have the top prospect in the sport (Jesus Made), opened the spring with the top farm system in the sport, have the best record in the sport and despite graduating two top-50 players in the past month (Cooper Pratt and Luis Lara) and trading another top-100 prospect (Alexander Frias) at the deadline, still have the top farm system in the sport…
-- and by a pretty solid margin.
“In addition, the big league roster largely comprises homegrown players and players who got much better after Milwaukee traded for them; the scouting and development departments are working together and producing results as good or better than every other organization in baseball.”
Notice what name wasn’t even mentioned in McDaniel’s blurb:
The 50 HR guy’s name. Now THAT’S rich.
MEANWHILE, FOR FORTY YEARS, THE METS HAVE BEEN SUCCESS-POOR.
AND THAT SAME POST-TRADE DEADLINE TEAM RANKING BY ESPN?
Mets at #24. Seems harsh?
Let’s say they are 10 slots harsh. That would only make the Mets #14.
That ain’t rich.
“SMOLTZ SEZ”:
BIG JOHN HAS A VERY INTERESTING IDEA
Smoltzy had this to say about the potential upcoming lockdown and competitive races:
“You want to cure the competitive imbalance? You're not gonna be able to do that with a salary cap.
“I think you're gonna be able to do that with a format change. And I think if they can add two more teams, which, that's an argument in itself, if baseball's diluted, there's a ton of injuries. I don't know where you're gonna get. But players are coming up like crazy.
“ I think you go first half, second half. I think you give every small market team an opportunity in each half to secure a playoff spot. There's no chance over 162 they can do it. The resources aren't there. The depth's not there. We saw in the COVID short season, the smallest market teams had a chance to win the World Series because it was only 60 games.
“I'm telling you, within a few years, if they can do this, the first half, second half, you'd have an exciting race in July. You can have two trade deadlines.
“Let's just say you are banged up at the beginning of the season, you start off horrible. You don't tank. They don't throw your players to other teams, where you'll become a farm system to all the other teams. That would cure it. I'm positive it would. It's just whether or not they can get to that point.”
Thoughts, folks?

16 comments:
Re: Fischer
See? Do you really care about how many strikeouts one makes if they produce this many home runs, runs batted in, and walks?
Re: strike
The owners are determined to establish a salary cap. The players are adamantly against it.
Trust me.
There will be a strike, and it will last until your first half of the season is over.
Pretty incredible.
If half the season vanishes, we all will need MILB TV to watch. How many prospects will be ready for promotion by then? 3 hitters and 3-4 pitchers?
Arizona Ball kicked off with a win.
What I dislike about a half season strike, especially after losing 102 games in COVID 2020, is some guys will miss the Hall of Fame, due to less time to compile stats, such as Alonso.
First, one of the tell tale signed of a strong leader is how their organization performs AFTER they depart. I’ll give that to Stearns.
I have been an advocate of a split season for exactly those reasons for a long time. Also breaks up (without destroying) the very long baseball season.
Before my time, but I suspect the switch to divisional play was a big deal back in the day.
Innovate or die. Especially when there are huge dollars at stake.
That’s what I say
I would like to see a length of contract cap. Vlad Guerrero may bounce back, but after 2026, he is one of the poster boys against ultra long term deals making any sense for teams.
I do like the idea.
My guess is you will have to wait until 2028 to think about implementing any split seasons, unless they are in the new owner/player agreement.
this is a pissin' contest and these guys can't agree on what urinal to use
I agree that on the surface the numbers are impressive. However, the underlying stats (contact rate for example) may not be. How many players with those numbers of strikeouts have success in the MLB? Half of those numbers were but up in single A. Compare the Single A numbers to the Double A numbers. How many players with those strike out numbers and contact rate numbers have success in the MLB?
Incredible numbers that need to be taken with more the a few grains of salt. Why isn't he the number one prospect?
Enjoy what was accomplished, now get back and improve the numbers. Just because you put on that beautiful dress and was this year's prom queen, doesn't make you miss America
If my farm system can produce 3-4 MLB prospects a year, I'm a happy camper. Rankings mean little.
McLean
Benge
Ewing
Thornton
You a happy camper
There is a lag built in to the evolution of a development system. Once the right pieces are put into place, it takes years for the successful outcome to be realized. It seems to make sense that Stearns would have started the process in Milwaukee, but it is hard to determine how much was his leadership and how much was the skill of those he entrusted to implement the system. In NY, the pressure of short term success seems to have corrupted the process.
Great Leaders ensure they have the right lieutenants (not declaring Stearns is a great leader). So he does get some credit for that as well.
Next year:
Voit/Rojas/pietre
Santucci/tong
Lavender
Decent list with potential
Post a Comment