1/12/20

Mack – Q&A’s – David Peterson, Dellin Betances, Heston Kjerstad, Stephen Gonsalves, Brad Holt


Here’s the latest questions asked me (sure miss Bob Gregory’s questions…):


Max asks:  Mack, what’s your opinion on prospect starter David Peterson?

            Mack – Thanks for the question Max.

I danced in my office when the Mets drafted him in the first round (20th overall) in the 2017 draft, out of Oregon. He was off the charts in his last year there, going 11-4, 2.52 in 15 starts. He also struck out 140 in 100.1-IP (12.56 K/9).

He started out like an Aussie wildfire in Columbia (2018) going 1.82, 0.96 in nine starts, but his K/9 dropped to 8.65.

He finished 2018 in Florida, with a stat line of 13-ST, 4.33, 1,35, 7.60 K/9.
2019 didn’t get any better for Binghamton: 24-ST, 4.19, 1.34, 9.47 K/9.

Projections for Peterson were for him to be a frontline starter (when drafted) to the back of the bus midway through last season.

The only positive thing I have read about him lately was from Fangraphs in their 2020 ZIPS projections:

“The one prospect ZiPS is excited about in the short-term is David Peterson, the big lefty sinkerballer drafted in the first round in 2017. ZiPS thinks that Peterson is already in the same tier as Wacha or Porcello, but given that the Mets are likely contenders in 2020, it would be reasonable to expect the team to go with their most established players, rather than have Peterson adjust to the majors in games that matter. Like Porcello and Stroman, Peterson’s numbers are likely to be sensitive to the Mets infield defense, which will improve by having less of J.D. Davis in it.

So… my answer to your question is I am, at best, ‘cautiously optimistic’ about Peterson. I need to see more out of him this year in Syracuse before I would invite him to Queens.

My guess is it won’t happen and Thomas Szapucki will wind up being the first starter prospect called up some day.


Mac asked - Dellin Betances says he’ll be ready to go for Spring Training. Your thoughts?


Mack – Well, what is he supposed to say on the day the Mets sign him for seven figures? There’s no way I will be there?

I used to question whether the Mets did their due diligence on deals like this, but I have come to realize that all the doctors in the world can’t tell you how the player is going to play once he hits the field.

            I think Dellin believes he will be ready.

            Only time will tell.


Amanda asked – Mack, give me a draft prospect I can dream about?


            Mack – Well put, Amanda.

Keep an eye on an outfielder that should still be on the board when we pick at #19.

Arkansas LHH 6-3 RF Heston Kjerstad is the kind of slugger that Mets fans love. In his first two years, he has a combined stat line of .331/.404/.574, with 30-HR.

            https://youtu.be/L3OX4qBapd4  


Manny asked:  Hey Mack. Do see any chance for Stephen Gonsalves sticking around this spring?


            Mack:  I do Manny. I do.

Gonsalves was a 4th round pick in 2013, straight out of high school, by Minnesota. He was a starter throughout his pro career and debuted with Minny in 2018 (7-G, 4-ST, 6.57, 2.08). He finished up with them in 2019 and the Mets signed him as a free agent.

Yes, he had a pro 6.57-ERA, but his 7 year minor league record was 53-22, 2.52, 1.11, and 655-K in 612-IP.

My guess is that the Mets will return him to AAA for the start of the season and, if he gets his game back together, could be the lefty we need in the parent pen.


Frank P. asked:  Mack, you’ve been doing this for a long time. Who was the one Mets prospect that didn’t make it that keeps your head shaking whenever you think of him.

            Mack:  Brad Holt.

Brad was picked in the first round, #33 overall, by the Mets in the 2008 draft, out of North Carolina-Wilmington.

He went 11-1. 3.18 in his last year in college (2008), followed by 5-3, 1.87 in Brooklyn the same year.

He started out in 2009 with St. Lucie (9-ST, 4-1, 3.12, 1.08), but was continued to be rushed up the chain. He finished that year in Binghamton with a 11-ST, 3-6, 6.21 stat line.

I went to camp the following year and watched, first hand, how the Mets pitching geniuses tried to ‘change’ the mechanics of pure fastball pitcher who had tremendous success all his life pitching ‘his way’ (Brooklyn: 11.94 SO/9, St. Lucie: 11.22 SO/9). They had him out on the backfield pitching mounds and it was obvious how upset he was. Someone saw me watching and came over and asked me to leave the area. I did but waited for Brad to eventually be ‘released’ from this session.

Let me stop here and tell you a little thing about Brad. There never was a happier-go-lucky player in camp. He was simply thrilled to be a professional baseball player.

That ended that day. He took to, first St. Lucie, and then Binghamton, what the coached wanted him to do. His 7.48 and 10.20 ERAs so the success of that plan.

Holt lasted two more seasons in the chain, eventually being turned into a reliever, and ended his career in 2014 pitching for the Long Island Ducks.

A complete waste of God given talent.

9 comments:

Reese Kaplan said...

I had great expectations for singles hitter Brock Pemberton, but traditionally first basemen hit with power and that deficit likely kept him from advancing.

holmer said...

Mine was Dave Cochrane, a power hitting 3rd baseman who played on the Doc Gooden/Lenny Dykstra Lynchburg team in 1983. I think he drove in over 100 runs that year but he struck out too much. I think he made it to the majors but did nothing there.

Mack Ade said...

Re Cochrane:

Actually had 102 ribbys in 1983.

Played 5 MLB seasons (1x CWS, 4x Seattle) from 86-92: .235-BA

Hobie said...

You explained Holt's misguidance which, to me, makes him now LESS of a head-scratcher than I initially thought. Likewise physical problems seem to explain a number of my favorites: Bowman (back), Ratliff (eye). My all-time head-scratcher, though, is Reese Havens. Had the talent, but never seemed to learn the game; maybe F-Mart falls in that category too.

Tom Brennan said...

Peterson won a mere 3 of 24 starts last year. In AA. SO, he is going to excel in the bigs? We'll see.

Betances should be fine. But what do I know.

Gonsalves? Sewald did great in the minors but not in the majors. Gonsalves has to prove pitch well he can with the Mets, too.

I like the slugging OF to draft. We need a steady stream of hitters.

Tom Brennan said...

Havens had a rib problem, that required removal - never the same again - sad.

Holt? Darned shame.

Mack Ade said...

That was only the beginning of Havens' problems...

elbow, groin, oblique, and back problems

Raw said...

I really liked your article. But I have some questions on pitchers. Do you see Pedro Payano trying to make as a starter? What about Joe Zanghi, Ryder Ryan, where do you see them Syracuse or Binghamton? How about Michael Gibbons, do you see him starting in Binghamton if well? What about Thomas McIlraith relieving in Binghamton?

Mack Ade said...

Raw

Thank you for your question.

IMO...

Payano - this one is a head scratcher... yes, he's been a starter all his career, but there is no room for him at either the MLB or AAA roster there. He pitched an underwhelming 5.73 for Texas last year, but he has been a strikout pitcher. Maybe Mets coaches in the winter leagues thought they see something here.

Ryan - I have openbing the season in the Binghamton pen

Zanghi - he pitched very well at AA last year which normally would earn him a move to AAA in 2020... but that would make 13 pitchers there. Hmm. Could wind up back in Binghamton.

Gibbons - I have him in Binghamton

McIlraith - Yes, Binghamton. I sure wish they would let him start again.

Hope this helps.

Also, I write a monthly column called 'Questions and Answers' where I answer questions from readers. Please feel free to email me your questions to:

macksmets@gmail.com