5/18/20

Tom Brennan - MIKE SCOTT AND MINOR LEAGUE PITCHERS


A few years back I looked at all the pitchers the Mets had just released from the minors.  Quite a few.


Collectively, their minor league record was good.  They actually, as I recall, had a combined winning record and ERA in the 3's.


But bye bye.


As I write this, I am watching Mike Scott throwing absolutely lethal split fingered fastballs in the 1986 playoffs.  And I wonder why all but the best Mets minor league pitching prospects don't try to master that pitch too.  


The 1986 Mets could hit - but Scott ate them up.  Sure, he also threw hard.


But in his earlier Mets career, he stunk - 14-27, 4.64.


That splitter turned him from a flunky to the best pitcher in those last few months of 1986 in all of baseball.


If Scott could improve that much, what could it do for minor league pitchers?


Especially the ones that get released despite pitching pretty well in the minors. 



Pitch tough on the arm?  So what, if it is the difference maker to getting you to the major leagues?  Would you prefer career ending Tommy John surgery after 3 successful major league seasons, or being released from A ball.



Maybe he scuffed the ball, too.  So, learn to scuff the ball too.



Or just give up and get released.

No deep analysis here by me - just an observation I am throwing out there.

If I were one of those minor league pitchers, what would I do?   I'd really try it.  Am I being too simplistic?



Just curious what you, the reader, thinks.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

One could live a relatively pain free life with a torn ulnar ligament. I've had one since 1978 (before TJS became available to almost anybody) and it hurts once in a while but there's a lot more wrong with me than that right now. Regardless, if given a chance to pitch in the majors for a few years years and then blow my elbow out throwing a pitch known for its stress on the elbow. I'd do it in a heartbeat and I think just about anybody in that position would do the same so, screw the consequences and "go 'til it blows."

Reese Kaplan said...

You'd think minor leaguers would be more prone to victimization of a scuffed or otherwise illegally altered ball, so the numbers would be even far better down there. It would at least get you -- the pitcher -- noticed.

Tom Brennan said...

I am telling you, those Mike Scott pitches were incredible, a real weapon, so I am surprised so many guys who were decent in the minors, but not great, wouldn't be like "Unknown" above to use that weapon and "go til it blows"

Mike Freire said...

I think Mike Scott's "rise" was equal parts forkball AND a little help from some 60 grit sandpaper (as you
stated). I remember the Mets collecting all of the "foul balls" in a five gallon bucket during that series and miraculously finding scuff marks in a similar place on most of the balls they collected.

But, one thing is for sure......the 1986 version of Mike Scott was lethal!

That line of thinking also fuels young players to explore other avenues of improvement, like steroids, etc.

But, your premise of having a short and successful career compared to not having one at all is
interesting.

Tom Brennan said...

Mike, especially if for some, short and successful becomes longer and successful

Riajengenelen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.