8/8/20

Tom Brennan - HOW BAD ARE THESE METS?

HOW BAD EXACTLY ARE THESE METS, ANYWAY?

The Mets to me did the impossible, as are the Marlins doing the impossible.

After all, how do the Marlins, already a bad team and then devastated by more than a dozen corona virus cases which threw the team into a whirlwind, find themselves at 7-1 to start their season?  How do they start a pitcher in his MLB debut who had never pitched above A ball, and he goes 2 2/3 innings and fans 6, including Jeff McNeil twice?

How do the Marlins win despite being fanned 16 times, a sign their patched together line up collectively is not ready for MLB caliber pitching?

How do the stinking Mets lose 4-3 to this team?

How, unless they are far worse than I ever thought they'd be, as they slide so effortlessly, so easily, to losing 9 out of their last 13 after the obligatory opening day win.  We've seen this team effortlessly, easily lose over the years, all too many times, like last year's long, dismal mid-season stretch.  

How the heck bad are these guys?  And why should we watch?

I was busy last night and turned it on early and they were down 4-1.  I watched the Marlins kid pitch a bit, then watched the news instead.  

I turned it on again when they pulled within 4-2 in the 8th on an error with bags full.  

I did not want to watch and be disappointed again, so I turned it off right there.

Woke up this morning and. sure enough, they could not push across the 2 extra runs that inning to tie it up.

And inexplicably, unacceptably lost to a AAA team, 4-3.

How bad are these Mets?

Why should we watch?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Answer: Not as good as down the stretch last year, but not as bad as they look now. About a .500 team.

As I said earlier, the Marlins have been that team that could put elves and gnomes on the field and they would find a way to beat the Mets.

Bob W

Tom Brennan said...

Bob W, I am not sure how far back you go. But I remember the Mets playing the Dodgers and Giants back in the 60s, and it was shocking when the Mets ever beat either of those teams. It was stunning, simply shocking, when McGraw beat Koufax.

Here, the Mets, yes with a few injuries, play a weak, patched together Marlins team. And yet somehow lose to them. I think they have nine games left with the Marlins this month.I will change my opinion if and when they went all nine of them.

Mack Ade said...

Tom

Cute move to 6am.

BTW folks... John From Albany started a week's vacation and his links post will be back at the end of that quality time with his family.

As for the Marlins... who are these guys? It's amazing what a team can do when there is no pressure to win.

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, I can't promise every day at 6 AM, but I woke up, flipped on News 12, and the caption showed the 4-3 loss. I was not surprised, but very annoyed. Remembered John's vacation and said, I'm going to knock this one out. It took 10 minutes.

10 minutes well spent, wake up, Mets, it's later than you think.

Unknown said...

Well, look at last year even. The Mets were 13-5 versus the Fish. Sounds okay until you realize that they lost 105 games last year. That's worse than even the 1993 Mets or the 2003 Mets (two of the worst teams I ever saw).

The Mets had no business even losing 2 or 3 of those games, let alone 5. DeGrom even got shelled in one of those games. Go figure.

Bob W

Tony said...

The Marlins are playing loose and aren't playing under that much pressure and when you play under a calm atmosphere, you'll win some games