10/31/21

Best of MLB Draft Database - 2022 - Q and A - Cam Collier - 3B

 


Today, I am very excited to be interviewing one of the top prospects in the 2022 draft… Mount Paran Christian High School’s Cam Collier. 

Cam sent the prospect world upside down on August 3rd when he reclassified from the 2023 draft to this year’s version. He was originally ranked in the top ten 2023 projected picks and was immediately placed high on all the team’s draft boards for this year. 

Those of you that read this site are familiar with his talent. 

Now we get the chance to hear from the man himself. 

And, with that… 

 

Mack -   Morning Cam. First, thanks for granting me this interview. We will get to the reclassification later, but first, tell us about how you got to where you are now and when did you realize that you might have what it takes to go far in this game? 

Cam - I got to where I am but countless days in the gym, on the field and just listening. I realized I might but good at this game last summer when I had finally start to hit velo. 

 

Mack -  I am sure there are many that have helped you along the road. Tell us about them and how they have helped you? 

 Cam - My dad for sure he has turned been guiding me along this journey and teaching me all he knows. 

 

Mack -  Now, to your current game. The reclassification. I was told that baseball wasn’t the primary reason to choose to do this and it was mostly due to the fact that you were so far ahead in your studies that you could skip a year to accomplish your diploma. Is that true, and, if not, what is the truth? 

 Cam -   No, that isn’t true. The reclassification was based of how ready me and my family and our support system felt. Also depended on how my baseball abilities would turn out after playing a year up in summer ball. 

 

Mack -  If I was a scout and was sitting in your living room with you and your parents, what would you tell me that you would “bring to the table” if my team drafted you come draft day? 

Cam -   I would say that your getting a hard worker who loves the game of baseball and will never take the opportunity for granted.

  

Mack -  It’s no secret that the 2023 draft will produce more talented players than are projected in 2024. This will make it harder for you to maintain that top projection in this draft. Tell us what you are doing in this off season to improve on your game even more? 

Cam -  I have just been working not to much focus on that stuff just trying to get a lot better than I was a day before. 

 

Mack -  Lastly, the same question I ask everyone. Let’s say I draft you and hand you a seven figure signing bonus check. What is the first thing you will buy with that cash money? 

Cam -     I’m going to be honest I haven’t even thought about those kinds of things because there a lot more work to be done so I haven’t really put thought into it.


Visit https://mlbdraftdatabase.blogspot.com/ daily for all your 2022/2023/2024 Scouting Reports


 

A serious man with a serious year ahead of him. 

Thanks to Cam for this. Right now, by the way, I have him as a solid middle to back end first round pick. A great 2022 can easily improve on this.

6 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Good for Collier, who appears to be both talented and totally focused on achieving maximum success.

Mack Ade said...

I just apologized to Cam for saying 2023 and 2024 draft in one of my questions, instead of 2021 and 2022.

A person in my position should never "strike out" like this.

Gonna have to reclassify me soon.

Gary Seagren said...

He seems like the perfect draft pick (oh no did I just say perfect) and I'm crossing my fingers we don't lose any picks and gain an extra one when Conforto signs elsewhere but when do they ever listen to me. Don't we almost by default have to do better this off season.....fingers still crossed.

Tom Brennan said...

Gary, in a few weeks, I start a Draft Retrospective series, for some post-World Series fun.

Mack Ade said...

Gary

Tons of talent here.

A straight third baseman.

Gary Seagren said...

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS! Sorry guys i just had to let it out