2/3/20

Reese Kaplan -- A Rough Week for Pro Sports People



It’s been a rough couple of weeks for ballplayers, managers and general managers which remind us fans that people associated with professional sports are indeed human after all.  After the whole Houston Astros scandal wreaked havoc on the them, the Mets and the Red Sox you had the big Kobe Bryant helicopter crash on the day of the NFL championship game.  Then we got announcements about sportswriters, front office personnel and older ballplayers facing health crises (or death), but for some reason none hit me quite as hard as the news revealed on Saturday night that short-term Met Tony Fernandez is on kidney and oxygen support in desperate condition at just age 57. 


I got to thinking why his health revelation made such an impact on me.  After all, Fernandez was a four time All Star, four time Gold Glove winner and was in the MVP voting a few times when he arrived still in his prime to the Mets at age 31.  It was 1993, one of the darker eras in Mets history, when winning was pipe dream.  In fact, during the 1992/1993 off-season the Mets sent Wally Whitehurst and minor leaguer D.J. Dozier to the Padres for the star infielder.  He dealt with injuries and put together his worst offensive numbers ever after coming to Queens.  During the lost season that saw the dual incompetency of Jeff Torborg and Dallas Green rack up a 59-103 record.  Al Harazin conceded defeat and shipped him off to Toronto where he’d had some of his best output for failed outfielder Darrin Jackson.

Fernandez bounced back from his injuries and wound up playing another five years for a variety of ballclubs, hitting .295 with 41 home runs and 301 RBIs.  He was much more like the pre-Mets player towards the latter stages of his career than he was during his 173 ABs in Queens.  A player with this kind of professional success would seem to be in great health as his body was indeed his paycheck.  Consequently, hearing about his current ordeal at a young age seemed incongruent, inappropriate and personally hit very close to home.


Many of you are aware I took a forced absence from this site during December and early January due to an as-yet-undiagnosed condition which caused me to pass out in my home, slamming my head on my dresser as I fell, fracturing my brain in multiple places and giving me such a bad black eye I couldn’t even joke to my friends it was my wife who did it.  Floating in and out of consciousness for about a week led to a transfer for nearly 3 weeks in a rehab hospital which, in turn, was followed by a bed in an outpatient facility for advanced rehab. 

Being the stubborn person that I am, I took myself out of the third place on the earliest opportunity as they weren’t even sure whether or not the insurance company was going to pitch in at all on the medical expenses.  Considering they were more than four figures per day for a medical equivalent of a Motel 6 room, it didn’t seem like a good investment.  About two weeks later I was told the insurance company would pay for the treatment, but had I stayed there the entire expense would have been on me while they twiddled their thumbs making this payment decision. 

The good news for me, of course, is that I’m too stubborn to let a life threatening injury slow me down for long and I was back at the office long before it was medically advised to do so.  My energy level is coming back to me and the blackness of the eye has gone away.  The best news to come out of this whole ordeal is that not being conscious nor even oriented to my normal lifestyle, I’ve lost thus far about 37 pounds, but I wouldn’t recommend brain injuries as a replacement for Weight Watchers or whatever the diet-du jour is. 

It finally connected in my healing brain that the news about Tony Fernandez clicked because he is two years younger than I am and spent his career with an All-Star body.  I wouldn’t wish this kind of medical tragedy to affect anyone, but especially not someone who was so much better at caring for his body than I was.  I know he was only a Met for a very short period of time, but the news about his life threatening injury on top of all of the other recent tragedy really impacted me and I can only wish the best for his recovery.    

5 comments:

Bob W. said...

Ironically, Tony Fernandez did not underperform for the Mets due to a variety of injuries. He was suffering from kidney stones for much of the few months that he spent with the Mets. Perhaps, a precursor to what he is going through now.

Here's hoping he can get the kidney transplant he needs to survive.

Mack Ade said...

Reese -

Did you get ice cream on that brain injury diet?

Weight Watchers has ice cream.

Did you? Did you?

Mike Freire said...

Good Morning, Reese.

Quite the harrowing tale concerning your recent medical issue. I am glad that you are on the road to
recovery, to say the least.

As far as Tony Fernandez, he was the consummate pro and it is hard to believe that he has been retired for
as long as he has been retired already. It is also hard to envision a professional athlete in a compromised physical
state.

The sad part is that all of us tend to take our health for granted until something like this (or your situation) happens.

Reese Kaplan said...

Mack -- the periodontist after Monday's surgery last week recommended ice cream. I found sugar-free butter pecan and it was my dinner. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Mike -- a friend of mine just took a tumble on a concrete sidewalk which required actual brain surgery and he's still not verbal, so by comparison I got damned lucky. I'm driving, I'm working and I have enough residual story about my situation to get out of most housework :)

bill metsiac said...

Remembering the '93 season is painful. One notable thing about it is that we spend HUGE amounts of money on payroll, resulting in Bob Klapisch's famous book, "The Worst Team Money Could Buy".

A perfect response to those who insist our "cheap" owners need only to spend more now to gain instant success. 😢