9/3/24

Tom Brennan: Mets Play Like a Playoff Team; Jett Woes

TUG MCGRAW WOULD SAY YA GOTTA BELIEVE

4-1 win. 

Severino great. 

Even DJ Stewart contributed.

MVP Lindor gave another MVP performance.

Half game behind the Braves.

Mets are a remarkable 50-29 in their last 79 games.

Gotta get THAT into the playoffs. AND…

Senga could be back in late September. Likely in a bullpen role, if he does.

MINORS

Quiet Monday. One game, a 6-5 Binghamton loss. Late rally came up short.

Pintaro gave up most of the runs in his 3.2 innings but fanned 8.

Junior Santos gave up the other 2 runs, and has a 5.33 ERA.

Jordany Ventura stellar in relief: 2.1 innings, one hit and 4 Ks.

Binghamton pitchers fanned 14 times.

Binghamton batters fanned 14 times.

Jett Williams remarkably has fanned 10 times in his last 3 games. Still rusty, I guess. I do have an extra pair of eyeglasses I can lend him, though. 

How many fingers am I holding up, Jett?

2 RBIs in 19 games for our top offensive prospect, and .169.

Parada - hitless 2 Ks. 

Clifford 1 for 4, 3Ks. Those 2 have combined for 288 Ks in 221 games.

I have extra pairs of old eyeglasses to spare. Let me know, guys.

Rowdey Jordan a HR, 2 hits, 3 RBIs. Nice.

6 comments:

TexasGusCC said...

I wrote this after the game. Am I wrong?

“Couldn’t understand why Vientos sat in a must win game as one of your best available bats. Want to put Inglesias in at third, ok. But, Vientos could have taken JDM’s vacated DH spot. There is no reason Stewart needed to be in the lineup. Everything is working for Mendoza, and I hope he isn’t getting smug, but it appears he is. What manager sits one of his best hitters in a must win game in September? In fact, having a butcher like Stewart in the field and Winker as a DH is even more lurid when you see Stewart drop a fly ball.”

Tom Brennan said...

Gus, that is a true puzzler. I agree, so unless Mark is banged up and needed a day off...

It was good for DJ, though, that run from first to home has him in tip top shape now, and Vogelbach would have had trouble making it to third, so it is all good, right?

I understand paternity leave, but they said it was 1 to 3 games that JD would be gone. If there aren't complications, and all is going well, could it be just one game? Pennant race and all? I know, I'm insensitive.

Tom Brennan said...

Who would have thought that the two first round Mets hitters picks would be raking at .204, 158 Ks in 430 at bats, 39 RBIs? Them's some good pickin's, Pa.

Viper said...

That was one very strange lineup. Reminds me of the ones Terry Collins used to come up with.

Tom, with the amount of baseball experts that Stearns has fired, the future might be better picks and coaching.

Rds 900. said...

I like the idea of better coaching.

That Adam Smith said...

I think the issue was that the Sox’ starter has extreme splits, so they wanted to get all of their lefties in. And it was the lefties, including Stewart, who did most of the hitting last night.