Two things of strike interest happened on July 14th.
First, MLBPA Honcho, Bruce Mayer,
said that the players are working on a response to the last owner’s proposal
and will make their own “amateur entry
proposal” soon.
(I know most people think this is going to be a long strike…
and I still do too… but I am excited at the progress made by both sides. In my
opinion, they really are trying to get closer on this thing).
The other thing is the fact that Commissioner Rob Manfred said that he viewed the possible
incursion of an International Draft as an attempt to clean up issues in the
current international process. He singled out the removal of drafting high
school players, saying it represented “the changing environment of the current
amateur landscape” (whatever that means).
It seems to me that Manfield is trying to place both the
domestic and International sides of baseball under the same set of rules.
(Again… in my opinion… you can’t be paying a 23/year old,
three-year college star three million dollars and, at the same time, pay a
16/year old Latin child who is still learning the game, twice as much. Makes no
sense).
Commissioner Rob Manfred and interim union head Bruce Meyer each hold press conferences on the day of the All-Star Game in Philadelphia. "I think that I have an ownership group that is more united than any group in my entire time of baseball," Manfred says, referring at least obliquely to the league's push for a salary cap. "They are a group that believes in what I am arguing for."
Bob Nightengale -
Lockout or not, MLB showing their optimism (or is it
arrogance) in labor negotiations that the 2027 season will start on time by
announcing that Opening Day will be on March 25, the earliest in MLB history,
with the regular season concluding Sept. 26

2 comments:
Players lose tons of money for every strike game. That is an incentive.
Young players are really going to be hurt.
Post a Comment