6/16/11

Gee


photo by Mack Ade
I have to say that I’m thrilled at this point in the season. I didn’t have any high hopes here and, if you told me that David Wright and Ike Davis would be out, I might not have renewed by cable subscription.


I’m sure Terry Collins can be accredited with a lot of good things this year, but none more than spirit and attitude. Other writers… you know, the ones they allow in the locker room… tell me that it’s actually fun being around this team.


I’ll tell you one thing. I have never done a great job, at anything, in a bad mood.


I’ve also under-estimated the ability of both Dillon Gee and Jon Niese. Dillon knows I’ve been a supporter of his from the day he arrived at extended camp with his father, but I’m amazed at his ability to master four pitches. Gee is proving every day you don’t have to throw 95+ heat (though he did hit 93 last night). The batters know his go-to pitch is the changeup, but, just when you know it’s coming, here comes a 91mph high heater. You adjust for that and he throws the cutter inside. I mentally played batter last night for the first four innings and he got me 80% of the time.


This is the part of the schedule that separates the men from the boys: Angels, Athletics, Texas, Detroit, Yanks, Bums, Gints. You go into the all-star break at .500 and you’re in playoff contention.


I know we all want David and Ike back, but why mess with a good thing?


Lastly, I don’t remember any Mets team that was so dominated by one ballplayer before. And I’m old. Jose Reyes is putting on a clinic for all ballplayers entering their contract year. I’m sure the Mets will try and sign him, but he’s currently worth a package like the Santana one.

2 comments:

86mets said...

Absolutely right on about Gee, Mack. Coming into 2011 I thought he was mere AAA insurance, a guy who could spot start here and there on a fill in basis. But the more I see of him, the more I really am liking this kid. He flat knows how to pitch. He made the Braves looks silly last night. It might be passed off by some as chance, but this is the 3rd time he's faced them this year so it looks like he's every bit as good as he looks. Now, I'm not saying he's the next Greg Maddux, but he certainly looks like a very good, very capable #3 starter for this team for years to come. In a couple of years a rotation of Harvey, Pelfrey, Neise, Mejia, and Gee looks pretty solid to me, in my humble opinion.

Mack Ade said...

Judging on what you and I are watching this year + the anticipation of Harvey, Mejia, and Familia latest 2013... this could easily be the reason Sandy and Company passed on college arms with the first two picks in this draft