6/26/11

Josh Satin, Dillon Gee, Greg Peavey, Brett Mitchell, Jon Niese


Josh Satin:


6-25-11: - minorleaguebaseball.  - Selected in the sixth round of the 2008 Draft, Satin began his memorable night with a two-out solo homer in the first inning. "I was down 1-2 in the count and Jordany [Valdespin] had just been thrown out at second," he said. "Their pitcher threw me a breaking ball that I fouled off and then a couple fastballs that I fouled off, so I felt like I had seen his stuff. I got a 1-2 or 2-2 breaking ball and I was able to hit it out." The 26-year-old third baseman beat out an infield single in the third and doubled to center field in the fifth, setting up his shot at history


Dillon Gee:


6-25-11: - http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/27454/mets-morning-briefing-6-25-11  - Gee's father, Kevin, had taken a day off from his job with the Fort Worth fire department to attend the tryout. As they prepared to return home, Kevin noticed that the team had pulled a few of the players aside and told them not to leave. "They were going to bus those kids two hours to the Astrodome in Houston for a tryout," (mother) Kelly said. "Dillon was not one of those kids." Kevin approached a friendly-looking scout and told him he really ought to see his son pitch. The scout told him if he wanted to make the drive on his own with Dillon, they would take a look at him. The Mets liked what they saw, or liked it enough to end up making Gee the 633rd overall pick. He signed with them for only $20,000.


Greg Peavey:


6-25-11: - Peavey pitched his first A+ outing tonight, going 5.0-IP, 1-ER, 3-K. 3-BB, 1.80. Peavey has had the luxury of under-mirroring Mets prospect Matt Harvey. Both were drafted last year and roomed in camp, but eventually parted ways when each was assigned to different teams. Harvey gets all the attention (and the increased signing money) and both are even promoted levels on the same day. Once again, the Met world is waiting to see how Harvey does while Peavey sneaks into his St. Lucie slot. I love it.


Brett Mitchell:


6-25-11: - Mitchell was a 12th rounder last season that got off to a great start with Kingsport. By 7-7-10 he was 3-6, 2-1, 1.65, 0.97, 2.20-RA9, .300-BABIP, 2.26-FIP; however, the rest of the season sort of went downhill and he finished the season 2-2, 5.94, 8-ST, 42-K, 36.1-IP. This included giving up 21-ER in his last five outings. Well, he got back on the horse in K-Port last night, thowing five hitless shutout innings, striking out six while walking only one. We’ll keep an eye on him.


Jon Niese:


I know some of you are going to think I’m going to come off a little picky here, but if I’m pitching with a 145 run lead and I start having irregular heart signs with the lack of ability to catch my breath, I probably would like to have a trainer and manager that doesn’t say, “okay, well, you’re coming out at the end of this batter. Excuse me, didyou think he might be having the early signs of heart failure and sould sit down and be given fluids while Bobby Parnell gets ready to come in the game…NOW???

1 comment:

Charles said...

Absolutely right with Niese