3/29/22

Mack - Random Thoughts - Francisco Alvarez, Tylor Megill, The Pen, Sunday's 1-2 Punch

Good morning. 

Yes, I remain retired (long term readers know this is my third retirement); however, with Tom’s retirement (come baaaaaaaack Tom) I thought I would write my thoughts down on a random basis. May be weekly, Maybe longer. Who knows from this mashugana.

 

1. I re-watched that Frankie Alvarez bomb last Thursday around ten times. Wow. That’s what I’m talking about! Me? I would start him off in Syracuse and see how he handled these, mostly, seasoned starters, If that goes well, I would trade our current starter before the trade deadline and platoon Alvarez with Tomas Nido for the rest of this season. Alvarez is our future starter behind the plate and looks, right now, that he will be an all-star there going into the next decade.

 

2. Regarding Tylor Megill, I think he has already proven to be an SP5 candidate last year. I like his approach to the game. And, I think, going forward this season, I think he should be slotted in as SP4 behind the Big 3. Cookie looks cooked and Peterson just can’t seem to keep that slider sliding. I would make Megill SP4, followed by Walker.

 

3. A lot of Mets fans think their team needs to sign another bat, especially in the outfield. I don’t share that opinion… if… and it’s a big if… Brandon Nimmo stays healthy this season. I said on Twitter that I think the Mets should extend Nimmo and one of my followers answered with “only if he plays 100+ games this year”. And who said I had dumb followers. A stupid rumor went around Twiiter written by some troll that Michael Conforto was signing a 2-yr. deal with the Mets. Fugettaboutit. The trio of Nimmo-Cahna-Marte will be the starting lineup going forward.

 

4. What I do feel is a position that doesn’t have enough talent going forward is the pen. There just are just too many untested and questions filled pitchers out there. Frankly, I can’t think of one name out there that doesn’t have a slow, lonely, country song attached to it. The Mets starters are not known for going past six innings too often and I fear too many close ones will be lost by failed relievers this season.


5. So, how did you like that Jake-Max duo this past Sunday? Make you wonder why the Mets couldn't sign another top starter and let these two generate 30+ wins this way all season. Sure would lengthen their careers? Well, we know that's not going to happen because that could mean taking on another 20-35mil a year in salary and it would generate too many penalties. Do you know who creates these penalties? Right, the players and owners during the negotiations for their new deal together. And do you know how many people it takes to tango? Right again. Let's remember, it's the OWNERS that pay the players and if this game is getting out of financial control, they have themselves to blame.

 

6, This is a short post. Just wanted to jot something down to help here. 

 

I’ll be back soon.

18 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Megill would be an ace on some teams. He ought to be starting. Right from the get-go.

So much Canha under-appreciation. Last 3 seasons, 1100 official at bats, over 200 runs, over 50 doubles/triples, 48 HRs, 230+ walks +HBPs, .380 OBP, and 19 of 23 in steals. Me? I LOVE that. Him and .400 on base % Nimmo? That's a whole lot of on base.

Pen? Yes - one more arm, please. I do think Eric Orze is ready, whenever they need him.

Paul Articulates said...

I agree with everyone's Megill assessment. In addition to his imposing physical skills, he has a mental toughness about him that makes for a starting pitcher that will last. Nothing bothers him - he stays focused on the next pitch. I haven't seen enough of Bassit to understand his mental state, but in addition to Megill's focus we have deGrom's self-reflective self-repairing abilities and Scherzer's intensity. This staff should be relentless.

Paul Articulates said...

Alvarez looked REALLY good on that blast. I'm not sure I'd rush him too much though. Hitting skills are great, but they are underpinned by confidence. Great pitching can take away that confidence, and it's very hard to get back. I would like to see Alvarez go through an evolution in the pitching he faces from A to AA to AAA to bigs, even if it is rapid. Let him pace the evolution.

Gary Seagren said...

HEALTH is what will determine how this season plays out and we all have our fingers crossed otherwise we are solid except in the pen. What Max can impart on the pitching staff will be invaluable for the entire staff but back to the BP as I just don't get the one closer scenario when you need one every night and to be this short on lefties so Steve Steinbrenner: fix it.

Gary Seagren said...

Also great to have you back Mack in any capacity. Stay well my friend.

Reese Kaplan said...

I've lost what respect I had for the Cohen money and the Eppler administration when the club has done nothing to address the glaring bullpen problem. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They lost Loup, Familia, Gsellman and others. They added journeyman Adam Ottavino. That is not even bringing the club up to the mediocre bullpen level they had last year. As much as everyone seems content to have the three trade chips -- Smith, Davis and McNeil -- retained, unless they're planning an 11th hour contract to Tony Watson they are facing some very hard times in the 6th, 7th and 8th innings.

Mack Ade said...

MEGILL>COOKIE

Mack Ade said...

Let this kid develop

He especially needs more time defensively

Mack Ade said...

Thank you Gary

Look for me once a week

Alex said...

Jackie’s back in town! Good observations buddy.

Tom Brennan said...

Eric Orze has to be a real part of the bullpen mix. I watched his videos and saw nothing that made me think otherwise. I think they just do not want to rush him. I'd say we'll see him in She in May, but instead we'll see him in Citi in just a little bitty.

Bleeding Blue and Orange since 1973 said...

Hi Mack, a suggestion for your next post - top 20 Mets prospects for 2022, with a few sleepers thrown in.

Remember1969 said...

Too bad Orze isn't a lefty

Remember1969 said...

A lot of good stuff here Mack (and commenters)!

I think they have to start Alvarez in Binghamton. I've got a good feeling that he is going to park a few baseballs on the railroad tracks. If he can keep raking and polish up his defense, move him up Route 81 in July to finish the year and start talking about 2023.

Megill should definitely be in the discussion for #4. What impressed me was his ability to bounce back and limit damage after a homer. Like many of you, I am thinking he can have a solid career.

I am in the minority in this crowd. My opinion at this point is that the bullpen will be just fine. I certainly won't have any issue if they bring in Tony Watson, but if they can stretch a couple of the guys out for multiple innings and not burn out 4 pitchers every night bridging innings 6 through 9, they'll be fine.

I am also on the opposite side of the fence as far as the outfield goes. I think they are short out there and would love to see them bring Conforto back on a show-me contract. That would give them a really solid 4 starters they could balance out, two of whom are over 33 - the other two have seen their fair share of the IL over the last few years as well. I think the "4 to make 3" approach would work fine. I am just not fond of the depth out there for a team that is in win-now mode.

So Mack, you got the whole bullpen going to Amarillo by morning?

Mack Ade said...

I will work on that

Mack Ade said...

Just about

nickel7168 said...

Mets claimed another minor league reliever yesterday...Yoan Lopez.
I'm counting 84 pitchers on the Mets 4 full-season
affiliates...how is that possible? Something's gotta give.

Mack Ade said...

They are going to staff 2 more teams and just let them play with themselves all season.

Err... that didn't come out right.