9/28/20

Mets360 - My 2020-21 offseason for the New York Mets

 


By David Groveman September 28. 2020

Here is the outline of my moves and roster for the Mets 2020 offseason and 2021 season. With all of my moves and roster adjustments, the team will emerge with a projected salary under $180 million, even factoring in money for Bobby Bonilla and Bret Saberhagen. People may disagree with the money that free agents get or my decisions to part ways with Steven Matz and Robert Gsellman but there should be other versions in the next week or so that perhaps you’ll like more.

The Deals:

Sign J.T. Realmuto – With a rich new owner, the Mets want to make a splash in 2021 and this is the way to do it. Buy out both Wilson Ramos and Robinson Chirinos for $2.5 Million and sign this all star catcher to a $26 Million 5 Year ($130) contract. The details of the actual contract would be different than my equal division but the key to this deal is that I see him getting between 25-27 per and 4-6 years. With Realmuto’s bat and glove added to the team the infield defense is even further improved and the Mets get a key right-handed bat in their lefty heavy lineup. It should be noted that the idea of keeping either Chirinos and/or Ramos is not absurd, as the Mets would need to spend an additional 12-13 Million for just Realmuto. With the Mets homegrown option (Francisco Alvarez) 3-5 seasons from the majors I think that a long term deal could work for the team.

Sign Kevin Pillar – I don’t think he’d cost a ton in terms of average salary and years and he can slot into center field as a platoon with Nimmo and a defensive replacement. I’m estimating his salary at 2 years $7.5 or 3 years $6 but, with Nimmo’s shaky defense and no natural center field options on their way I think the Mets can afford to bring on a player for the 2022 season as well. It should be noted that the Mets have no major league level prospects likely to be ready for promotion with their newest top pick, Pete Crow-Armstrong their top outfielder in the minors

Sign Corey Kluber – The Mets tried and failed on two reclamation projects in 2020 but, with Thomas Szapucki waiting in the wings and plenty of time to heal up, I’m going with Kuber. That being said, Taijuan WalkerTrevor Bauer and Marcus Stroman are all on my radar.  I just don’t want to spend the money and years for them. If any of them could come down into the $10 Million 1 Year range I am projecting for Kluber, I would likely switch my target. I based these numbers on Rick Porcello’s who had also previously won a Cy Young award before some lackluster years. I am hoping Kluber takes a single year deal in his own hopes of reestablishing a superb value for 2022 and beyond.

Sign Cameron Maybin – I think I’ve targeted Maybin multiple times in my offseason fantasy rosters. He’s just a good option for the bench outfield. I gave him $1.25 Million and 1 Year which I feel justified with after he just signed a $1.5 Million 1 Year deal in 2020. The fact that he’s a righty allows the Mets to have more versatility with their all lefty starters.

The Amed Rosario Question – I would definitely shop Rosario at the winter meetings but, the reality is, there is little to no market for him. The top two trade targets this offseason are Trevor Story and Francisco Lindor who both have higher value. 

Continue reading by clicking here. 

9 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

We assume Francisco Alvarez is far off, but he could be closer. He most certainly got valuable learning in this year, and will return to the Mets next spring 18 months older than we last saw him. We assume Realmuto, but it would be better to have a great read on this kid. Juan Soto made the majors very young, and he's done just fine.

Mack Ade said...

Good choices.

Not mine.

But good ones.

Mack Ade said...

2021 - A/A+

2022 - AA/AAA

2023 - MLB

Gary Seagren said...

I'll be talking to Adam Guttridge this week so if you have any questions for me to pass on let me know at....seagren@verizon.net or 941-925-9609 feel free any day after 5pm

John From Albany said...

Thanks Gary. Will do

TexasGusCC said...

Very nice Gary. If I may throw one out there:
How far away from being full contributors are Kilome and Szapucki, and who is the next possible young pitcher to join the big team?

TexasGusCC said...

After them.

Anonymous said...

Kluber, Maybin, and Rosario

The first two will be 35 and 34 respectively on 2021 Opening Day. I pass on Maybin definitely. Numbers are average. As for Kluber. He had a spectacular season of recent, but got injured. His fastball tops out at 94 mph. Both are typical NY Mets one season acquisitions. But we need better.

Amed Rosario should be the shortstop to stay. Some Mets players had what fan critics have called "down seasons" in 2020. Maybe that's because they did not play so much and there was no game to game consistency to get on track with.

If you start for a season regularly and then not, it effects most players.

Gimenez is very good as well, but fetches more via a trade. The dropoff from Gimenez to Rosario isn't much because both have "A games" to them.

It's the consistency.

Anonymous said...

How do you avid Mets fans...

Rate the new manager?

What impressed you about him, and what did not?