4/15/09

Nay To Jackie Robinson Rotunda - Jack Flynn




I do not like the Jackie Robinson Rotunda.

There, I said it.

I was not filled with awe and reverence the first time I entered Citi Field, the way I was ostensibly supposed to be. Jackie Robinson is an iconic figure in baseball history, and I respect the place he has in the hearts of many people.

But he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers, not the New York Mets.

So I was not moved by the larger-than-life royal blue “42” that fans were inexplicably posing for pictures next to. I was not inspired by the Franklin Covey-esque buzzwords stenciled onto the walls. I was not impressed with the endless loops of grainy television footage of a baseball player who did his best work in a stadium that has since been replaced by a housing project.

I was disappointed.

I was disappointed to find out that the main entrance to the new stadium that I’ve for so long to enter has been made into a tribute to a player that never even wore a Mets uniform – and to a team that left town over 50 years ago.

A tribute to a Brooklyn Dodger.


http://www.flushinguniversity.com/moxie/columns/secondclass-citizens.shtml

No comments: