4/23/09

Good Luck, Figgy







I see that SP Nelson Figueroa has chosen not to report to Buffalo. Instead, he will try and find a baseball team that cares more about the players than the way he was treated by the Mets.


Good luck, Figgy

.
In case someone hasn’t noticed, Major League Baseball is no longer a sport. It’s a business that generated profit any Fortune 500 company would be proud of. All you have to do is drive up to CitiField with three kids in your car, pay the parking, purchase tickets best seats available, buy four programs, get the opening round of peanuts, popcorn and crackerjacks, and sit down. Twenty years ago, you were out a Benjamin… today, you need to take out a line of credit first.
Nelson Figueroa should have been treated better, but the end result would have been the same. The Mets needed the best pitcher they had on the farm to throw a game and they chose the right guy. Then, instead of keeping him aboard in the pen, they chose to promote another pitcher, Casey Fossum, instead.


Why? I have no idea. I do know the human thing would have been to keep Figueroa in Queens, not only because he earned it, but he would be home with his family. I met him in spring training and he’s both a gentleman and a nice guy. He made a special trip to the press room to hunt me out and clarify a couple of things I had said on my blog. And, he did it in a much more professional way then the Mets have handled this decision.


I wish you well Figgy. Good luck finding a baseball team with a heart.

2 comments:

Ed Ryan said...

I'm still shocked by the Mets decision i'm hoping that after Livan was bombed they've reached out to and attempted to reconcile. But while Omar expects Figgy to accpet his business decision as nothing personal, I don't think Omar will lower his pride to eat crow....

That was just bad business even for big business...

Mack Ade said...

I'm going to write later today on the state of the rotation... doesn't look good right now, Ed. This just might be the best the Mets can come up with until the All-Star break

Mack