3/15/10

Santana, Daniel, Tejada, Q&A with Figgy...and Kelvim Escobar

0 comments
Santana:

Santana, who turned 31 Saturday, was much more effective, however, striking out four Marlins along the way. He surrendered three hits in the Marlins' 5-1 win. The third inning was the strongest as he struck out two and got Chris Coughlin to ground to short. After the throw to first by Alex Cora, Santana pounded his fist into his glove in satisfaction. Santana was only scheduled to go three but came out for the fourth because he was rolling. He surrendered a leadoff double but retired the next two batters and then picked off Bryan Petersen at second -
link





Daniel:

I like the way that Daniel Murphy gets better everyday, both on the field and in the box. I watched every inning of every game last year, and this guy doesn't know the meaning of quit. There will be a lot less pressure on him this year, and I expect a very solid, if not outstanding, performance from him. No, he isn't Keith Hernandez or John Olerud, but he's only 24, and he will wind up as a very productive player in 2010. - link









Tejada:

I don't mind giving Tejada a chance, mostly because I'm curious to see how overmatched he will be. That sounds counter-intuitive, of course - no one seriously wants to see a young prospect fail at the major league level. Tejada is a little different. He has been young for every level he's played at anyway, and with Reyes signed for two more years, no one is seriously looking at him as an option until 2012. It doesn't seem that his standing in the organization would be damaged if he stumbles in April. - link





Q&A with Figgy:

Could he be the Mets No. 5 starter in 2010? No one in the Mets organization is saying, one way or another. As a matter of fact, no one — including Mets pitching coach Dan Warthen, manager Jerry Manuel or GM Omar Minaya — has told Figueroa he is in consideration for the No. 5 spot. Today, I talked to the 35-year old veteran about his recent success, the frustration that comes from not knowing where he stands and the communication between he and the Mets this spring …  link

 
 
 





Kelvim Escobar:

The Rays actually were the second-biggest bidder for Kelvim Escobar, offering $600,000, a person familiar with the negotiations told me. But the Mets just blew the offer away, guaranteeing Escobar more than double that amount ($1.25 million) with an automatic $125,000 bonus if he were on the Opening Day roster. The Rays told Escobar’s representatives that they thought his physical condition (shoulder problems had limited the righty to five innings over the past two seasons) precluded him from pitching in the majors until June at the earliest. They painted a schedule in which Escobar would work on strengthening until mid-May before he was even allowed to throw in any serious way. Tampa’s hope was to rehab Escobar back to be a contributor in the second half.  - link



 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mack's Mets © 2012