6/7/11

Team By Team Grading - Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Cubs



Arizona:    RHP Trevor Bauer, RHP Archie Bradley, LHP Andrew Chapin - what can you say wrong about an old school draft like this one. Three great pitchers.   A+

Atlanta:    LHP Sean Gilmartin  -  only one pick so far, and a surprising one at #28 -  C+

Baltimore:    RHP Dylan Bundy - if you have only one pickon day one, go for it...  A

Boston:  RHP Matt Barnes, C Blake Swihart, LHP Henry Owens, OF Jackie Bradley - why can't my team ever draft like the Red Sox do? -  A+

Chicago Cubs:  - SS Javier Baez -  I thought it was a little bit of a stretch at the 9th pick, especially since so many blue chippers were sitill on board

2 comments:

Charles said...

I think it just shows that teams like the Braves, Cubs, Dodgers, and Mets who actually have full scouting departments probably know a little more about the draft and the players invovled then the experts working for espn. How else can you explain it. I know the Dodgers definatly have big time money problems and needed a safe and cheep pick, but the Braves and Cubbies seem to be doing okay moneywise. I think it just shows you must have a wait and see approach, especially when drafting the HS talent. I mean, how many HSers are drafted in the lower rounds, don't sign, and in a few years have rocketed up the draft charts and inot the frist or seconds rounds? It just shows that a little seasoning and marinating over the course of a few years takes good talent and makes it worthwhile. Imagine, hopefully, what Nimmo and Fulmer will be when they have 3 years pro ball under their belt. Hopefully, top 5 draft worthy. Wishful thinking, but I'm on the bandwagon.

Mack Ade said...

I'm still a little numb but I'll get over it.

I actually like the Nimmo pick but I would have taken him today with the first pick in the 2nd round.

Look, I guess if you want overslotting, you have to live with the expertise of your scouting staff, especially at the high school level.


Last year got the Mets two great prospects... Harvey and Vaughn. That's good in any year.

Let's see what happens early today.

(it's all over by the 10th round...)