7/21/11

Via Con Dios, Carlos

I watched the 2004 baseball playoffs, but I don't remember it. It was around three months after my accident that cost me much of my memory in those days. I'm sure I watched Carlos Beltran turn the playoffs into his own playground, but, frankly, the best I can do is tell you I read about it.

I do; however, remember the day the Mets signed him. I never realized until a year ago how special it was rooting for a team that had both the money and the stones to go out and get the best players available.

The doctors told me that the best thing I could do was either read or write. Both would make my brain work well, which was something we weren't sure back in those days would ever happen again. I "unofficially" retired from the broadcast industry, sat down and wrote the first of many unreadable novels, and decided to open up something they called a blog. I chose the Mets as my subject and the rest was... well, you know...

I had been a Mets fan all my adult life, but writing about them was something new. I remember specifically defending the purchase of Beltran in that first year he performed so far less than the last year he was in  Kansas City and the half season in Houston. 

And then 2006 came and it was Houston all over again. The Mets were a magical team that was going to go all the way...

Today's game was sad. Most of the people in the stands were under 13 years of age, so those that recognized this would probably be the last time Beltran would wear a Mets uniform in New York had a tough time getting a standing ovation going. The game ended and catcher Ronnie Paulino said something to him in the dugout that caused a smile. I'm sure it was related to the trading deadline, but I just smiled when I saw it.

Carlos Beltran has always been the consummate professional to the point that some felt he kept his distance from both the press and the fans. I had the pleasure of having clubhouse privileges for three years and I never saw that. The first time I met him was on picture day on the first spring training I worked for Morris Publishing. He was more than cordial to me and the picture I'm using on this post was one I took that day.

Folks, there are only so many great people that cross our paths in a lifetime. In my case, Carlos was one of them.

Via con dios, Carlos.

No comments: