7/26/11

Q and A: - Who Will Play CF in 2012/2013?

Hobie asked:

Regarding Matt den Dekker, do you see him starting in CF for the Mets in 2012? 2013?

Mack:

I can only answer this question with the guys now in the system. The K-Mart deal, and the upcoming Beltran deal, could easily bring someone that fits this slot ahead of anyone in the current system.

For now, I expect Angel Pagan to be back in CF in 2012, but that could easily be his last year as a Met.

Right now, the 2012 starters look like Jason Bay, Pagan, and Lucas Duda. Scott Hairston has earned himself a better deal from a different club and Willie Harris looks like he won't be back next spring.

The Mets might consider eating Bay's last season (2013) similar to what they did with Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo, but he will be given the entire year of 2012 to show his stuff, if the stuff is still there.

I don't see either Kirk Nieuwenhuis, or Fernando Martinez, being a starter in Queens. I just don't.

The next wave will be den Dekker in 2013 and Cory Vaughn in 2014. 

(now, slip in either the name of Dominic Brown or Gary Brown, and everything will be hunky dorry).

One thing about center field...  you need a defensive star to play in Citifield. den Dekker has that ability.

Lastly, I'm reminded of a conversation I had this spring with a scout named Carlos Gomez (ex-Yankee prospect). I brought up the subject that the Mets need one of those slugging outfielders that everyone else has. Carlos reminded me that I was wrong here; that the slugging outfielder who produces 40/120 has always been the exception.

He is right. Most major league outfielders are good hitters, not great sluggers.  And, in Citifield, that's the kind of hitter that works best. 

I was a lead off hitter and my job was to get on base. You mentally start your swing much different if your objective is to get to first base before the ball gets there.

Remember when Jerry Manuel made Jose Reyes the 3 hitter? He hit many more home runs that year when he did that. Trust me, his batting coach, Howard Johnson, had to make sure he wasn't thinking about getting to first.

den Decker's hitting ability will play much better in CitiField than it would in a different venue. His increased pop this month in AA is just a bonus.
  

8 comments:

The Closer said...

Mack, I just posted this elsewhere on another Mets minor league blog, let me know your thoughts.

"I'm not sure where I remember seeing this so I can't give the proper credit to, but I think moving Jordany Valdespin to CF is a really good idea. He clearly has the bat as of now to show he can hit, but we all know he needs to learn to be more patient at the plate and draw more walks. The issue is that he's a butcher in the infield. 28 errors a little more than half way through the season is atrocious! I'm sure he has the speed to cover the gaps in CF, I'm not sure about the arm, but you need to have a solid arm to play SS, although I haven't seen him through the ball too much on the infield, so I'm not sure if he has a side arm motion or over the top outfield type throwing motion needed in the outfield."

Mack Ade said...

The funny thing about Valdespin is the fact that he has the skills to be a very good infielder.

Most of his errors happen on easy plays.

On the spectacular plays, he's... well, spectacular.

I think he's simply bored by the defensive part of the game. He also is a discipline problem and not very liked by most of the guys that have tried, and failed, to manage him.

Other than the fact that he has the most hitting talent of any infielder in the organization...

CF is a great idea, but, in the Mets organization, he is major trade bait

Mack Ade said...

Closer:

There is no "other" Mets minor league blog" :)

Charles said...

Pagan is fatigued now, which is unfortunate, however I truely hope they can swing a deal that puts a center fielder at citi next year. Angel had a good season last year, but what your seeing now, is the player he is. Last year was the best case scenario. There is a reason he excites no one when you see his name in the lineup, because he is a fourth outfielder masquerading as an everyday player. Hes also extremely brittle and can't be counted on to play a full season. The Mets need a center fielder, which is unfortunately not going to happen. Hopefully next season, Duda will get the opportunity, and be a 20/75~85 guy, because Jason Bay is a lost cause. I remember when Delgado went through something similar, a horrid slump that last an entire second half and the first two months of the next season, and then broke out at Yankee Stadium with two homers and ten RBI. After that, he ended up with his last monster year. I just dont see Bay, having the mental chops and confidence to bust out of this. The Mets must have a healthy infield with Jose Reyes, some production in the outfield, and a healthy Santana next year to be able to compete for a playoff spot next year. Even with all that, it's still a long shot.

Hobie said...

Jordany is an exciting and talented player and I think should stay in the Minf mix, at least until we know the fate of Jose, and to a lesser extent, Havens. "Butcher" is a term thrown around too much IMO. Are his fielding problems related to his discipline problems> Does he try to do too much (that's discipline too)? idk

But if den Dekker shows even roughly equivalent offense to JV (presently he does: MinL BA/OPS=.290/.830 vs JV at .278/.764) there is NO DOUBT who should be in CF.

Charles said...

Unless you toss him in a Beltran trade to get a GREAT prospect, I would never trade Jordany. Hits for average, has some power, steals bases...this isnt a player that should be traded when a franchise is trying to build up a minor league system.

Mack Ade said...

Hobie:

He really seems bored playing routine balls

The Closer said...

Hobie, I can't think of a better term for a guy who averages an error every 3 games. I don't watch him play so I'm not sure if they are mostly fielding or throwing errors, but if there is a bright spot, 25 of his 28 errors are at SS and only 3 are at 2B and as a former college SS/2B myself, I know SS is a MUCH harder defensive position to play since you don't have any time to wait on balls like you do at 2B. He could just be rushing his plays a lot at SS which was my problem in college, but maybe he's a solution for 2B in the future...