4/3/20

Mack – FWIW – Coronavirus Edition - Daily Thoughts 4-3



 
PC - Ed Delany
Good morning.


I woke up yesterday with the news that we lost another 1,000+ people to this shit. Unbelievable. And we used to work about FISA warrants, the weekend shooting deaths in Chicago, and what roster Tim Tebow would open the season for.

I also saw that Joe Biden said he would like to call the President and join forces with him on fighting this problem. DT said he would love to talk to him.

My daughter, who is a first responder here in South Carolina, thinks that a good side effect of this will be a heightened amount of basic humanity.

I believe she is right.



An update on NY Post Mets photographer Anthony Causi

            Cherí Golub  - @cherigolub

I’m thrilled to report that our friend @ACausi  is getting stronger. He continues to get the best care from @NorthwellHealth  Manhasset and he’s become quite popular (no surprise). He’s making his mark there! Thank u all for spreading the word. He’s not alone.


An update on baseball writer, John Sickels –

          John Sickels - @MinorLeagueBall

Covid test result was negative. However, I am sicker than I was yesterday despite the antibiotic, so I don't know what to think. If the antibiotic doesn't work then it has to be a nasty virus of some kind, even if not Covid-19. I've been fighting it for 3 weeks now.


BA - an anonymous baseball exec discusses a shorter draft (only paragraph available outside BA firewall) –

“I don’t have a problem cutting (the draft) back to 25 to 30 rounds. You’re still drafting enough players to fill out those (short-season) rosters. That creates a much bigger pool of free agent possibilities. Quite honestly, it gets to be nauseating in the 35th round to find a player who is worth a selection. You’re not excited about any of those players. The draft board has been obliterated. It gets worse every year because teams get better and better at the draft. Most teams are increasing staff. Teams are getting better at it. More data is available. There are more looks at kids. Once you get to the 36th round, it’s not good. You’re better off doing a workout a week after the draft where your scouts invite the undrafted players”



Dan Szymborski - @DSzymborski

I really *want* to feel empathy towards those idiot spring breakers who caught coronavirus -- they're still humans who will suffer and I don't believe receiving empathy is something "earned" -- but my ability to be empathetic is just spread too thin right now.

12 comments:

Reese Kaplan said...

I guess I'm less humanistic than Dan Szymborski. If you knowingly do something that can lead to infection and get infection, hey, you knew the risks and did it anyway. I reserve my empathy for people who are taking proper precautions and get infected anyway.

Anonymous said...

The problem with people who are not properly physically distancing is not that THEY get sick, but that they get others sick. Possibly many others. And their actions help to overwhelm hospitals and needlessly endanger our heroic healthcare workers.

It's not about them.

Jimmy

Mack Ade said...

Reese

I have no empathy to those idiots.

Mack Ade said...

Jimmy

So they have it and give to others and it is not about them?

SMH

Tom Brennan said...

If you get it, and are utterly careless, and others get sick from you and die, no one may ever make the connection to you, but it is still the equivalent of manslaughter.

A younger (60) brother of mine got it 2 weeks ago, and I deliberately did not ask him how he was progressing for the last several days - he was hurting but not hospitalized and went out for a few long walks late last week - he just let me know that he is progressing slowly, not much has changed. Which makes it clear how tough this thing is. He is a Type 1 diabetic but otherwise in excellent shape. Translation? Try - hard - not to get it.

One of my staff's father got it in NJ - has been on breathing assist in ICU for several days. Not a joke.

Mack Ade said...

Tom

New research came today from Germany that the transmission period previously said this had may be way off and way bigger.

Unknown said...

And then there was the idiot in Rochester New York who just had to be with his wife in the maternity ward while she gave birth. Even though he tested positive and had symptoms. Gave the virus to his wife. Probably to everyone else in the maternity ward, too.

No sympathy for anyone who can't abide by the rules until this is over

Bob W.

Mack Ade said...

Bob

I live in South Carolina.

No one is taking this serious. Lots of traffic. People going into and out stores with no gloves or masks.

Bob W. said...

Mack:

Well, I had planned on being in Hilton Head this August with my family. I can cancel it on short notice, though.

Mack Ade said...

Bob W

We can break bread.

Tom Brennan said...

Movie coming out soon, The Young, Restless, and Idiotic.

bill metsiac said...

I'm with you. "Ask and ye shall receive".
They asked for trouble. I don't want them to die, but they deserve lesser consequences. I hope they haven't infected others once they got home (or en route).