4/3/20

Tom Brennan - WHO ARE YOUR TOP 10 ALL TIME METS RELIEVERS.



OH, WHAT A RELIEF IT IS!

Everyone has their own favorites, when it comes to Mets players. 

How about relievers? 

My Top 10 Favorites are:

1) Billy Wagner

2) Tug McGraw

3) John Franco

4) Jesse Orosco

5) Armando Benitez

6) Roger McDowell

7) Jeurys Familia

8) Seth Lugo

9) Ron Taylor

10) Francisco Rodriguez

I hoped going into 2019 that Edwin Diaz might be # 1 on such a list.

But 2019 was a rough debut year for Diaz, keeping out of my top 10 list so far.

Nonetheless, he is tied for 17th all time as a Met with 26 Mets saves.

Hopefully, he is saving his best for last.



6 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Tom -

I see you and Reese are picking up on ranking the top all-time Mets players.

Good for you.

Tom Brennan said...

I figured that looking back is 20/20, looking forward is not so clear, so why not look back a bit?

After I wrote this, I saw some highlights of Billy Wagner in Mets games - he was great. Should be in the Hall of Fame.

Tug was great fun, and a fine pitcher too.

Ron Taylor did not have Billy Wagner stuff, but he was quite effective.

Lots of Mets fans hated Armando Benitez due to failures in big moments, and it pushed him down to # 5 for me, but 160 Mets saves, 2.70 ERA, and 456 Ks in 347 Mets innings? Hard to argue with that production.

Reese Kaplan said...

I'm working around the offensive players -- started with 1B, Saturday is 2B, Monday will be SS, etc.

Tom Brennan said...

James Loney had pretty significantly better career splits than Ed Kranepool

Bob W. said...

Skip Lockwood has to be on this list somewhere.

Tom Brennan said...

Skip Lockwood? Good point, Bob W.