10/29/20



                    SAVAGE VIEWS


FINAL THOUGHTS PROJECTED 2021 METS LINEUP


With new ownership ready to take over within the next couple of weeks, this is the time to make significant changes.  The top priorities are finding someone who can play center field and adding at least two starting pitchers.  The third priority is upgrading the bullpen.  I would add third base as an area of obvious need.


CENTER FIELD -The sexy move would be to sign George Springer.  While I would not object to adding Springer, I don’t believe he is the long-term answer.  He would be expensive and cost a draft pick.  Not only that but his ability to remain in CF may diminish after a couple of years.


A better choice could be Jackie Bradley or KevinPillar.  Either one is a potential gold glover with an OK bat.  This is a case of choosing defense over offense – we already have a strong offensive lineup.


STARTING PITCHING – a strong argument can be made to bring TrevorBauer on board.  I’m not fond of the idea of renting him for a year and surrendering a draft pick.   A better choice is to sign Marcus Stroman to a long-term deal.  Even if he only accepts a QO, he would bolster the rotation.  With deGrom, Peterson and hopefully Syndergaard back sooner rather than later, we have the makings of a strong rotation.  The fifth starter may be found internally with Matz, Szapucki or externally through trades.


THIRD BASE – other than CF this is the one position that requires a major upgrade.  Last year we were vulnerable to left hand pitching. Adding a powerful RH bat would balance the lineup.  Let’s consider the options.


·        DJ LeMahieu.  If Cohen wants to make a statement, what better way than stealing this guy from the Yankees?  Adding him to an already strong Mets lineup would strengthen the right hand hitting and place a MVP caliber player on the roster.


·        Justin Turner – Assuming he is a FA without compensation, he also would add a powerful RH bat to the lineup.  Bring back the prodigal son.


·        Jeff McNeil –although I prefer McNeil in LF, he could wind up at third if Nimmo is retained. 


·        A Trade.  Have no idea if any of the top third basemen are available via trade. Devers in Boston, Rizzo in Chicago, Rendon in LA, etc.  The Mets certainly have chips to acquire a significant upgrade.  No place for JD Davis on my team.


CATCHER – Signing Realmuto is another move that would improve the team at least for the short-term.  However, he would be an expensive addition and cost a draft pick.  Also, there’s concern as to whether he would remain behind the plate for the long haul.  I would not be terribly upset if we pass on Realmuto and rely on the tandem of Nido/Chirinos.


Bringing on a new CF and a third baseman would result in players like Nimmo and Davis being excess.  Also, if the DH is not retained for 2021, either Smith or Alonso becomes surplus.


Therefore, Nimmo, Davis, Smith and either Gimenez or Rosario can be used to reinforce the rotation and bullpen. 


Numerous Met fans advocate trading for Francisco Lindor.  I’m not one of them.  Acquiring him as a one-year rental would require depleting the farm system of top prospects.   Let’s pass on this one.


I’m confident that the new management team will make the right decisions to field a competitive team in 2021.

11 comments:

Eddie from Corona said...

SO basically do it the wilpon way???
not sure most of us would be on board with this plan

Tom Brennan said...

Nido/Chirinos at catcher? Man, if you are willing to take a serious chance at .190 hitting. There are much better alternatives, that cost money and/or Nimmo. It is spending time. I'd love to see total boldness and get Salvador and James McCann - that would be SOME tandem.

No going cheap on pitching - the failure of the last 3 years is for one overriding reason: going cheap on pitching. Real clubs where only winning is an option know that.

Remember1969 said...

I agree on two of your points - retaining Stroman and passing on a Lindor trade.
Other than that, I struggle with your thinking.

Oh, yeah, one other point I agree on is that centerfield is a priority .. and in my plan, the top priority. My difference is that being the top priority, it requires the best player - Springer. I read you and other people write that Bradley or Pillar will provide the defense because of the "strong offensive line-up". Replacing a Bradley or Pillar into that lineup weakens it substantially. Especially if you are content with Nido/Chirinos. Springer is the only free agent option worth approaching.

I whole-heartedly agree with Stroman over Bauer. I want no part of Bauer. He has too much baggage and is simply not as good as his 2020 inflated numbers. If anybody pays him beaucoup bucks for beaucoup years, they will regret it very soon. I disagree with the rest of your pitching staff make-up. My thought is to go after one other less expensive free agent and one trade. My targets are Taijuan Walker (2 years 22M might do it?) and Zach Plesac from Cleveland in a trade.

I pass on LeMahieu. He is not a good third baseman. OK as a hitter, but also 33 years old. Justin Turner is a no and Jeff McNeil showed he wasn't very good there either. My choice is to buy (trade) low on Kris Bryant for his last year before free agency.

I believe catcher is the 2nd highest priority behind centerfield, just slightly ahead of starting pitchers. They absolutely cannot go with a Nido/Chirinos pair. They need at least James McCann. I could go with McCann/Nido for a while and if it does not work, look for trade candidates by the deadline. Vasquez from Boston or Castillo from the Cubs are two in mind.

I also do not agree with grouping Nimmo, Smith, Davis, and Rosario/Gimenez as tradeable. Good teams have a good strong bench where they get everyone useful atbats through the year. They might be ok to trade one, or maybe even two of them for quality players, but the 9th thru 13th non-pitching positions are extremely important.

As an aside, I have written up a comprehensive 'arm-chair' GM plan for 2020-2021 offseason of which the above comments are extracted from. It is too long to post as a comment. I would like to use it as a 'guest viewpoint' if the site editors would honor that.

Rds 900. said...

With a strong lineup I could live with Nido/Chirinos. Ok with exploring a trade for Perez or someone else who could upgrade the position.

Rds 900. said...

I see LaMahieu or Turner as a a potential bridge to Baty. If we are going to improve SP & BP, best move might be to move some of your excess assets. Smith, Rosario, Davis are too valuable as everyday players to be filling out the bench.

Remember1969 said...

A correction to my post above - I typed Castillo as a catcher trade option from the Cubs, while it should have said Contreras (altho I have no idea why Chicago would want to trade their starting catcher)

Rds 900. said...

LaMahieu only ok as a hitter? I think he's the most dangerous hitter among the FA's.

John From Albany said...

Another thing to consider after Cleveland waived Brad Hand today and Houston waived Osuna is that many mid-range players will likely be available as teams deal with COVID losses. There may be an additional 3Bs, CFs or catchers. available soon. Just don't trade a prospect (like Jordan Humphrey) for a guy you could've signed as a minor league free agent (Billy Hamilton)

I agree with 1969 - Springer would be my second act this winter (after extending Conforto)

Also I would extend the qualifying offer to Stroman and see what happens.

Tom Brennan said...

Rds900, we were spoiled by 2020 and the DH - you just can't have hitless catchers and hitless pitchers and not have constant offensive breakdowns

Unknown said...

Springer gets my vote for that.

I look at LeMahieu and see too many inconsistencies. His 2020 year built on a fine 2019, but his home/away splits are stark. His OPS at Yankee Stadium in 2020 was .506 higher than on the road 1.265 vs .759, with a crazy high .481 OBP at home. That is not sustainable for a full season.

His 7 year career in Colorado yielded an OPS less than .800 and OPS+ less than 100 in a notoriously hitters ballpark.

I look at this guy like another Daniel Murphy. Two or three outlier very good years, but not a top of the charts overall hitter.

Yea, I'm good with OK-hitter.

That plus the fact that we don't need another guy playing out of position leads me to a pass.

Remember1969 said...

Sorry, must have negelected to enter my ID on my last post.